The Student Room Group

Plymouth A100 2020 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

I'm a little bit stressed though because I do think I will end up firming but I had an interview at Liverpool last week and have Keele next week so I don't want to make the decision just yet. Does that mean I will be at a disadvantage because I cant book accommodation yet? Anyone in the same situation?
Original post by Mayomikun123
I'm a little bit stressed though because I do think I will end up firming but I had an interview at Liverpool last week and have Keele next week so I don't want to make the decision just yet. Does that mean I will be at a disadvantage because I cant book accommodation yet? Anyone in the same situation?

I know I am firming Plymouth but I want to wait on my other offers just in case. It’s still quite early so I wouldn’t worry. All medicine students will be in the same boat.
Original post by Lizzyj
Hi I was just about to start having a look at what accommodation there is and I was wondering if anyone had any idea if there is a particular halls of residence medicine students usually go for at Plymouth?

My friend doing architecture in year 1 says her medic friends seem to be living in the same halls as everyone else (I.e. the central campus and student village ones). The med school is 20 mins away, but I imagine the bus services would be pretty good because it’s also where the big hospitals are. There is accommodation in Truro for med students called Treliske Hall or something, but that’s for if you’re specifically training at the Treliske hospital apparently. I’m assuming we don’t need to worry about that until the more placement-heavy years.
Original post by georgiawood05
I know I am firming Plymouth but I want to wait on my other offers just in case. It’s still quite early so I wouldn’t worry. All medicine students will be in the same boat.

Okay that's good to hear, thank you! x
Reply 24
Original post by BethWS01
My friend doing architecture in year 1 says her medic friends seem to be living in the same halls as everyone else (I.e. the central campus and student village ones). The med school is 20 mins away, but I imagine the bus services would be pretty good because it’s also where the big hospitals are. There is accommodation in Truro for med students called Treliske Hall or something, but that’s for if you’re specifically training at the Treliske hospital apparently. I’m assuming we don’t need to worry about that until the more placement-heavy years.

That really helps thanks!
Reply 25
Original post by Lizzyj
That really helps thanks!

Your first 2 years are spent on the main downtown campus with only a few visits (every other week) upto the med school and hospital campus - which is 15-20 min bus ride from the main campus (you get free bus pas). Most of the halls of residence are within easy walking distance to the campus, some literally across the road. You will need to chose according to your budget and taste as some of the halls are much nicer than others.... I would visit 3-4 on offer holders day - if I were you .. Having said that, Astor is a really nice one and lots of medics end up there. Really nice rooms, with double bed and en-suite bathroom/shower. Very near to Plymouth Hoe and shops etc and only 12 min walk from the campus.
Original post by talus1
Your first 2 years are spent on the main downtown campus with only a few visits (every other week) upto the med school and hospital campus - which is 15-20 min bus ride from the main campus (you get free bus pas). Most of the halls of residence are within easy walking distance to the campus, some literally across the road. You will need to chose according to your budget and taste as some of the halls are much nicer than others.... I would visit 3-4 on offer holders day - if I were you .. Having said that, Astor is a really nice one and lots of medics end up there. Really nice rooms, with double bed and en-suite bathroom/shower. Very near to Plymouth Hoe and shops etc and only 12 min walk from the campus.

this is awesome thanks
Original post by talus1

Yay thanks for the juicy info :smile:
A lot of people I know have said that private accommodation is the way to go for Plymouth.. apparently there’s loads of private rentals you can get, similar to uni flats but private. Has anyone done this?
Original post by talus1

I can’t seem to find Astor accommodation on the uni accommodation page?
Original post by Mayomikun123
I can’t seem to find Astor accommodation on the uni accommodation page?

It’s probably private that’s why
Here’s a link to Astor https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1004175-s1044606-iq-astor-house-plymouth
Original post by human0000
Here’s a link to Astor https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1004175-s1044606-iq-astor-house-plymouth

Ohhh thank you x
emails with what our interview score was just came out i think

got 114/120
Reply 33
Anyone know the date of the offer holder day? Still haven’t heard anything
Reply 34
Original post by catrinrees01
A lot of people I know have said that private accommodation is the way to go for Plymouth.. apparently there’s loads of private rentals you can get, similar to uni flats but private. Has anyone done this?

Year 1, probably best to go for halls. And yes, some of the halls are 'private' rather than uni run. Astor is one of them. With regard to private housing and flats, this is what most people will do from 2nd year onwards, once you get to know the city etc. You'll need to be organised about finding a flat share early, and in fact most people sort their second year accommodation out by the end of the first term of the 1st year, once you have identified your 'tribe' and decided who you would want to share with.
Reply 35
Original post by human0000

Correct!
Original post by talus1
Year 1, probably best to go for halls. And yes, some of the halls are 'private' rather than uni run. Astor is one of them. With regard to private housing and flats, this is what most people will do from 2nd year onwards, once you get to know the city etc. You'll need to be organised about finding a flat share early, and in fact most people sort their second year accommodation out by the end of the first term of the 1st year, once you have identified your 'tribe' and decided who you would want to share with.

Are there any uni halls that you would recommend? What sort of things should you consider when deciding which accommodation to choose?
Does anyone know if Astor monthly prices include bills etc??
Is there anyone who knows they want to firm Plymouth, but are still waiting for decisions from other unis? Has anyone withdrawn from the others so they can get the ball rolling and sort out accommodation etc.?
Original post by BethWS01
Is there anyone who knows they want to firm Plymouth, but are still waiting for decisions from other unis? Has anyone withdrawn from the others so they can get the ball rolling and sort out accommodation etc.?

I really considered it but as someone rightly said above (in reply to my similar question) a lot of applicants will be in the same situation so if you aren't 100% sure yet, it is probably best to wait it out. One of my unis want come back to me till March and I have another interview next Tuesday, so it's gonna be a long wait lol x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending