The Student Room Group

Student Services

Do students feel that student services are helpful, is there enough help with emotional wellbeing and just general help with studying
Not really with universities. The one near me is constantly in the news for the lack of help they give students. It's very disheartening and makes students question why they are even bothering if they're just going to be shooed away like they're a bother for the university
Don't think student services is there for "general help with studying" - they're really more about the administrative side of your degree (e.g. registering for modules/blackboard/timetabling etc), plus wellbeing and accessibility support. The latter two things can vary a lot from uni to uni, or even within one uni, so it's kind of hard to say. I found the wellbeing team at Exeter quite helpful, whereas the accessibility team very much not, for example.
I think it varies per uni indeed, my uni is good for academic support but not so much for wellbeing. I know a guy who went to the uni counselling service with serious mental health/family issues and got shooed away with the advice to 'just talk to friends', very discouraging :s-smilie:
I don't know much about my university's student services because they don't promote them enough. I don't know what type of services they offer and who and where to contact?
So in my case I will have to say they're useless if no one even knows about them.
Original post by PlantsGalore74
Not really with universities. The one near me is constantly in the news for the lack of help they give students. It's very disheartening and makes students question why they are even bothering if they're just going to be shooed away like they're a bother for the university

What university is in the news?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know much about my university's student services because they don't promote them enough. I don't know what type of services they offer and who and where to contact?
So in my case I will have to say they're useless if no one even knows about them.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending