The Student Room Group

Friends based on race

Hi,

I need to ask something that might seem stupid. I love having friends but I discovered that most people assume that just because we're the same color we should automatically be friends.

Am I wrong if I would rather be friends with someone based on common chemistry rather than just because we're all green(green as in green)?!
I feel really bad that I still need to be friendly to someone despite not having any chemistry with them.
Original post by Pani Petero
Hi,

I need to ask something that might seem stupid. I love having friends but I discovered that most people assume that just because we're the same color we should automatically be friends.

Am I wrong if I would rather be friends with someone based on common chemistry rather than just because we're all green(green as in green)?!
I feel really bad that I still need to be friendly to someone despite not having any chemistry with them.

You're not wrong at all. You do not need to be friends with anyone if you don't want to, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, nationality or even gd hair colour.

If someone is telling you you should be friends with someone, because your both green, their probably racially stereotyping you and that's not okay.

Be friends with who you want to be, and don't let anyone tell you any different.
This is quite common and a reason why specific ethnic groups tend to group together. Just because you may have the same race in common does not mean your stories and experiences are the same. Carry on making friends based on chemistry! Also, it is not rude if you do reject a friendship, you have to do what is best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending