The Student Room Group

Just keep swimming

Scroll to see replies

T'is the end of the holidays

Time is going incredibly fast at the moment, and somehow I go back to school in about 36 hours :frown:
I don't remember most of this week (each day has kind of blurred into the next) so this will hopefully be a very short week-update.
No clue what I did until NYE where I made sure I was in bed by midnight and had a great sleep.
New year's day I went to the Tutankhamen exhibition at the Saatchi gallery with my dad - it was absolutely incredible and I definitely recommend.
On Thursday I took the train down to Brighton and stayed over at a friend's with another friend. We had an experience (very vague, but probably all I can say on TSR) and once the experience was over we had a super late dinner followed by some huge vegan cookies her mum had made. I slept on the floor with her dog who decided to take up most of the floor, but I actually slept quite well.
On Friday, once we had eventually got the other friend up, we went for a short walk with her dog, and then I said goodbye and walked along the promenade to the station. It's made me really re-evaluate if I really want to go to uni up north (though it's too late to do anything about that now). I think living by (or relatively near) the sea would be great. But eh :dontknow:. I had another huge cookie on the train, and once I got back into London I took the tube home.
Today I woke up after midday (oops). I finished Paddington 2 (which was so cute) and then went for a walk whilst it was still light. And that's really been it.
Tomorrow I have a hell of a lot of work to do (like finishing my EPQ :cry2:) and hopefully I'll see a friend if she's feeling up for it and we'll probably go for a walk or get coffee.

General Life Update:
(Eek what life)
I started feeling quite cheerful last week, which was a really nice change from the general miserableness that has been possessing me for the last 14 odd months, but by last night, that was over (:eek4:), but still feeling okay.
I'm feeling so so scared for the next few months. There's going to be a lot of work and stress and general ahhh. But in 6 months time, it'll be summer and I'll be able to relax and it will all be over.

I've also been questioning whether or not I really want to go to uni or not next (or well this) year. (Spoiler: I really really don't know - but what else will I do?). I already feel so pressured because I'm now two years behind my actual year group, and I feel like if I take another gap year or two I'll be ridiculously behind. But who knows?
We'll see, I guess

Well I hope everyone had a great NY, and has a good and positive year ahead!
Where is saatchi gallery?
Original post by robertaddington
Where is saatchi gallery?

West London near Chelsea I think
Week 15: Day 3 - So so sleepy :sleep:

I tried to write an update last night but was far too tired, so here we go again! (Though not much to write because it's only Wednesday)

Going back on Monday was really nice, seeing everyone, catching up, and getting to hear about university offers that people had received was all great!
In Maths we started Binomial Series (which we finished on Tuesday) and in Biology we started stats tests which we also finished on Tuesday.
In Psychology my teacher got caught in a youtube spiral and we spent the entire lesson watching videos of children and the laws of conservation of volume and similar ideas. We also got set a presentation to do on last year's content and I'm doing my least favourite part of attachment (Romanian Orphan Studies).
On Tuesday in Biology I also started reading about knock out mice which are mice bread with a missing gene in order to see what the function for that specific gene was (I think....) which reminded me of a book I read for my personal statement that I may reread if I have time (and once I've read the other books I need to read. SO MANY BOOKS!)
Today in form there was a discussion about mobile phone usage which I stayed out of and did some admin instead before doing a bit of Further Maths and in Psychology we were meant to be doing personal revision for a mini-mock next week, but of course we spent the entire time talking about absolute rubbish. I also got a couple of essays marked which I had done a few months ago and they both got As, so we're finally making some Psychology progress!!

I baked carrot cupcakes on Sunday (which are so good and probably my favourite of my makes this year!) I specifically made a "healthy" bake because I know I won't feel compelled to take them in to school. Tonight I made chocolate cupcakes though, from a Waitrose recipe card I found yesterday and I'm taking them in tomorrow, so we'll see how they taste!
I've been asked to cover a Maths class next week (Like wait.... what??) because my teacher has a meeting in town and doesn't have anyone to cover. All I'll be doing is sitting in the classroom helping AS students when they get stuck - but it's making me laugh .

And that is it really for now.

I'm super super tired. I've been finding it really difficult to fall asleep and so difficult to wake up in the morning, so I'm really waiting for the weekend when I can sleep in.
But everyone seems exhausted at the moment and I guess I'm still suffering a bit from being sick in the holiday and the weather really isn't helping.

Hope everyone's had a good week so far!
so many cupcakes:gah:
that's so funny that you're covering a maths lesson:biggrin: good luck with it!
everyone seems exhausted here too, i think people are still adapting to having to wake up early again:ahhhhh:
enjoy the rest of your week:wink: (not long till the weekend!:woo:)
Original post by Toastiekid
so many cupcakes:gah:
that's so funny that you're covering a maths lesson:biggrin: good luck with it!
everyone seems exhausted here too, i think people are still adapting to having to wake up early again:ahhhhh:
enjoy the rest of your week:wink: (not long till the weekend!:woo:)

Wasn't too pleased with the second batch of cupcakes in the end - but friends definitely don't complain about the number of cupcakes!
I remember coffee being a big thing for my year to combat the tiredness. Someone brought in their cold press, there was an unofficial hot drinks club on Mondays (and I kept a jar in my locker that I think I finished in about 3 weeks :colondollar:) - I think almost everyone was just permanently exhausted :s-smilie:
Hope you had a great week!
Week 15: Day 7 - If only the weekend could go on forever

Thursday we had the not-so-nice-and-bright 9am Further Maths lesson that only 2 of us (out of 5) made it in to on time. We did De Moivre's theorum and something else that I cannot remember. In Maths we started arithmetic sequences and series (which I find so odd doing now because it used to be AS content in the old spec!). In Biology we had a mini quiz on Meiosis that I had assumed would be a proper test and did a bunch of revision for and then we spent the lesson doing Chi-Squared tests for questions involving genes. In EPQ I showed my supervisor my up to date project and she said I was doing well and it looks well written - but I think tomorrow (Monday) I'm going to have a lot of editing to do just because I'm not 1000% satisfied with it.
In the evening I had a skype interview with a camp that I applied to be a camp counselor for. No clue how it went, but they were meant to email me back on Friday with their response and didn't so I've spent all weekend freaking out trying to find other camps to apply for.

On Friday I had Psychology and we started the 6 stage model of behaviour change (or something?) which is a model that is used for treating addictions. We also got tests back that we did at the end of the last term and I got 9/10 which was nice to see.
My Further Maths lesson (Decision) was rescheduled for Tuesday and so I got to go home super early. I spent Friday evening at my dad's and it was nice catching up with him.

Saturday I did some (and definitely not enough) work and even less work today, but I went for a walk to my closest big Tesco (like 40 minutes on foot?) and it was really sunny and quite mild which put a smile on my face. Then I went and got tea with my mum in a boogie cafe for her birthday and tried a lemon and basil cake which was surprisingly really nice! It definitely isn't something that I'd bake for friends - but maybe I'll try it during half term.

Too tired for school tomorrow - I've slept so badly this week, including the weekend, and I'm so tempted to skip my 9am but I probably won't.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend and a great (and productive!) week ahead!
Original post by keep_drowning
Wasn't too pleased with the second batch of cupcakes in the end - but friends definitely don't complain about the number of cupcakes!
I remember coffee being a big thing for my year to combat the tiredness. Someone brought in their cold press, there was an unofficial hot drinks club on Mondays (and I kept a jar in my locker that I think I finished in about 3 weeks :colondollar:) - I think almost everyone was just permanently exhausted :s-smilie:
Hope you had a great week!

i'm pretty sure no-one ever complains about cupcakes:gah: they're always delicious!
we have a boiling water tap now(:eek:) to replace the dodgy hot drinks machine and free instant coffee/hot choc/tea so people are getting caffeinated all day at school now:laugh:
i hope you hear back from the camp soon:hugs:
also basil? in a cake? that sounds interesting, i might have to try it:biggrin:
i'm pretty sure no-one ever complains about cupcakes:gah: they're always delicious!
we have a boiling water tap now(:eek:) to replace the dodgy hot drinks machine and free instant coffee/hot choc/tea so people are getting caffeinated all day at school now:laugh:
i hope you hear back from the camp soon:hugs:
also basil? in a cake? that sounds interesting, i might have to try it:biggrin:

Alsways got a bit weirded out by that machine, and avoided it like the plague. But you guys get all the good improvements (heard about the board pens)! We complained about a lack of kettle/hot water not from the microwave for a long time, but they always said it was a "health and safety issue" :dontknow:

Heard back from the camp (well from the agency) on Tuesday and I got the placement! :hugs::h:
Really recommend basil in cake if you ever have an opportunity to try!
Week 16: Day 4 -

Ookay -
On Monday I missed my first lesson because I fell asleep pretty late. In Biology I have absolutely no idea what we did. I tried the vegan Greggs doughnut at lunch which was nice, but really really sweet - but also the first thing I've ever bought from Greggs! In my free I was super unproductive, and in Psychology we covered assimilation and accommodation of information (in to our schemas).
On Tuesday in Maths we did differentiation of cosx and sinx from first principles and then I did an integration test followed by a differentiation test that got (rudely) interrupted by the fire alarm which happened to occur when it was pouring with rain. In Biology I again have no idea what we spent the lesson doing, but by the end of the lesson we had just started ecology (rip to the fun Biology topics). We then had last week's Decision lesson which was on Decision Tree Analysis which is a fairly simple topic - just the questions are too wordy.

Yesterday I was meant to have my mini Psychology mock during form, but my Psychology teacher had forgotten to print it off and asked if I'd do it next week instead (which I'm quite annoyed about because I prioritised Psychology revision over everything else this week :angry:). I then had the lesson i was covering which went absolutely terribly. The class was super chatty (which my teacher had warned me about) and when you apparently look like a 14 year old, no one really takes you seriously. But they did get all their work done in the end, and I tried teaching them logarithms which I probably mahoosively failed at. But so be it.

Today we started off with series of complex numbers in Further Maths. My teacher said it isn't really maths because there aren't any important proofs and I got in to a mini argument with her over her definition of "Maths" which is always fun. In Maths we started geometric series and sums to infinity which went fine. I got banana chips at lunch because I haven't had dried banana for so long! (I went through a phase at the start of the school year where I was eating banana chips every single day). In Biology we continued with Chi-squared tests, and then we started gene pools and Hardy-Weinberg equation.

General update:
As mentioned above, I got the camp counselor job I had an interview for - so I'm going to Canada in the summer! (Which is super exciting because Canada is super cool!).
My sleep's been appalling this week - I have a feeling that it's digestion/diet related so I guess I'm going to be spending the next couple of weeks trying to work out exactly what the culprit is - but last night I finally slept decently which was really great.

Hope people have had a decent week - and I hope Friday isn't too bad!
Original post by keep_drowning
Alsways got a bit weirded out by that machine, and avoided it like the plague. But you guys get all the good improvements (heard about the board pens)! We complained about a lack of kettle/hot water not from the microwave for a long time, but they always said it was a "health and safety issue" :dontknow:

Heard back from the camp (well from the agency) on Tuesday and I got the placement! :hugs::h:
Really recommend basil in cake if you ever have an opportunity to try!

Whoaaa have you got a secret source on the inside? Yep, the board masters are amazing:biggrin: I think they were pretty worried about getting it, we did have a how to use the sink talk but no one has scalded themselves (as far as I’m aware?) so...:dontknow:
That’s awesome:woo: going to Canada sounds so exciting:biggrin:
Glad you slept well last night and hope you have a good week:smile:
Week 18: Day 2 - 2.5 weeks till half term!

Last week was a super busy week, hence the lack of update.
Very vague overview:
I had two psychology tests, which both took up a lot of time and I had parents' evening jammed in the middle.
The tests both went okay... I think... I should get one back tomorrow and the other on Friday - so I guess we'll see then.
Parents evening was a complete waste of time though. My form tutor loves talking, and she rambled on for 10 minutes about "I'm so glad your attendance has improved" kinda waffle before trying to engage in a conversation about veganism and me and my mum just sat there wishing we could go :dontknow:. Currently I'm apparently work at an A* for Maths and Further Maths (I want a B in FM ffs!!) an A in Psychology (which is great) and a B in Biology (which is definitely not great). But I've definitely been focusing a lot on FM and Psychology this year, so I can see why.

Over the weekend I went up to Leeds for a friend's birthday. I went up on Saturday afternoon, wondered around the city centre for a bit before getting mac n cheese (my go to apparently, whenever I eat out). On Sunday I tried to do some more walking, but it started pouring with rain and I wasn't wearing particularly good shoes, so I wondered around a shopping centre for a bit and bought a new Harry Potter tshirt (only £3!) before my friend's birthday lunch - it was really lovely getting to see her, so although I got no school work done, it was definitely worth it!

Yesterday I had an appointment (with my bed) until 9:30 - so I missed Maths and the first 15 minutes of Biology. I finally sent my EPQ in to my supervisor (for a read over more than anything else) - I'm not entirely happy with my conclusion and I really need to edit the title, but I'm completely stuck for ideas currently.
I then went for dinner at my dad's, because I didn't see him over the weekend, which was nice - but he managed to completely mess up making couscous and i'm just a bit stumped.

Today I had Maths (I ended up doing Further Maths for most of it) and then Biology, and I stayed for a couple of hours to do some more work.

I've got my Biology mock coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm super stressed about it, especially after the last one which really didn't go as well as I'd have liked. It's also the day after my birthday and I'm meant to be going out for dinner (lmao currently meant to be Nandos) with friends that day - so I really need to get a start on some proper revision!

Other than that I've been doing a lot of Netflix based procrastination (though apparently I also do Further Maths procrastination, which I find kinda funny). I finished Sex Education Season 2 last week and I've started Season 3 of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Also watching Grace and Frankie which is a huge recommend!!! A friend recommended it for me because she said I'm a lot like Frankie which makes me laugh, and I'm also one episode into a Dutch series called Ares which seems good so far. Really should not be watching as much as I am, but I feel like I'm also doing a lot of school work - so I think it's kinda okay?

Hope everyone is having a decent week!
Week 19: Day 2

It's been a difficult week kids.
Honestly don't remember what happened the rest of last week.
I took the morning off on Thursday because I went to bed on Wednesday feeling like complete trash - but I went in for the afternoon (with some brownies) and I had a Biology test (where the last question was on something not on our syllabus and therefore not in the textbook - but otherwise wasn't horrific) and had a short meeting with my EPQ adviser where we went over the changes she suggested.
Friday went a lot better. I sat two tests that I missed on Thursday at lunch, Psychology was great until a friend got kicked out and Decision dragged a fair bit.

And then it was the weekend.
I got a decent amount of work done on Saturday, and Sunday seemed like it was quite productive until I found out that one of my closest friends passed away - and the rest of the day was shambolic.

Yesterday (Monday) I was in at 9am :shock: (trust me I'm shocked that I didn't skip it). A friend moved to sit next to me in Biology to try and cheer me up, which he did, and I'm very grateful for him. At lunch I went to visit my friend's mum - It was nice to have finally met her, but I wish it was under completely different circumstances. Then I went and distracted a friend during the remainder of my 3 hour free, and then we had a very boring psychology lesson still on Piaget.

Today I started with Maths, where we covered the Newton-Raphson method (and I think we're about two lessons off of finishing pure maths!) and in Biology we covered population and predator-prey oscillation diagrams. I then went to the library and did some EPQ and most of a Maths paper, and then I got home and spent the rest of my evening eating and watching NCIS.

General update: Really not much to be honest. Still waiting to hear back from Durham (almost 4 months now), but I'm going to a gap year fair on Thursday to see if anything seems particularly interesting.
I feel like I've been doing a ridiculous amount of work recently - but at the same time it feels like I'm not doing enough :dontknow: - and I think I should probably calculate how much I actually get done, and see if I can make it more efficient.
Finished The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina which was great - still haven't made any more progress on Ares - but I've just started Season 3 of Grace and Frankie and :lovedup::lovedup::lovedup:
It's my birthday next week - Marking the end of my teenage years - On Monday I'm supposedly going to Nandos with friends - which will be nice - But I have my Biology mock the day after and I'm beginning to regret picking Monday to celebrate.
I've been waiting a few weeks for my DBS certificate to arrive, so I can confirm Canada and book flights, and I'm beginning to worry that it's got lost - so I definitely need to follow up on that

Hope people had a great weekend and have had a good start to the week!
being in at 9am is a shocker? we aren't allowed to leave until lunch time so we have to be in the whole morning from 8.45am onwards :s-smilie:
Original post by mez_merising
being in at 9am is a shocker? we aren't allowed to leave until lunch time so we have to be in the whole morning from 8.45am onwards :s-smilie:

I don't envy you :frown:
Though once upon a time I used to make it in for 8:20 every day and only leave at 6

I'm at a FE college rather than a school/6th form - so things are a lot less strict and a lot more impersonal.
Week 20 - Day 4: Sleep is for the Weak

As usual, I don't remember what's been going on over the past week - But here goes!

Last Wednesday in tutorial we were meant to be starting off our Student Finance applications - I ended up starting a Maths past paper - and then in Psychology we discussed Case studies and Content Analysis.
On Thursday I slept in till 9. No clue what I did in regular Maths - but we finished the spec for Core. In Biology we got our genetics test back and I made a tonne of stupid mistakes - but :dontknow: - I know that I know the content - so that's one less thing to have to worry about. I stayed in the library till 5ish doing Further Maths integration (finding the mean of functions and indefinite integrals), went to a gap year fair, and when I got home I made cookies
Friday we started off with Psychology, which was super boring (as usual) and in Further Maths we finished off the Simplex Method.

Then the weekend!
On Saturday I went with the fam to some kind of (people I've never met before) family friends for lunch and I got some work done in the evening.
Sunday was the super-stormy day, and I tried walking to Aldi (it's an hour walk) and got soaked.

Monday I turned 20 (sorry - 19 again). In Maths we did proofs, in Biology we did Primary and Secondary succession and in Psychology I'm pretty sure we did the exact same thing as the week before. And guess what. It was really boring.
After college, 5 of us went to Nandos and it was really lovely spending time with friends outside of college. When I got home I did some Biology revision and then attempted to (and failed at) sleeping.

Tuesday in Maths we were doing some problem solving and then had a short test on numerical methods and something else(? Damn my memory is appalling). During Lunch I was supposed to be revising for my Biology mock, but instead ended up in a group conversation about how no one's particularly happy with the way any of the Psychology teachers are teaching at the moment (big mistake, and not because gossiping is bad :oops:). The Biology mock went terribly - I had revised TB and HIV but not Stem Rust Fungus and some of the questions left me confused. Right when the teacher told us to stop did I understand what the purpose of one of the questions was and it was all a bit of a mess. But oh well.
After that I went and donated blood - and the blood finally came out!! Last time the lady supervising had to hold the needle in for a full 20 minutes because my blood just wasn't flowing fast enough - and this time it was done so fast!
I went over to my dad's in the evening - He got me a bag for my birthday (which is going to be super useful because I usually just walk around with my bug backpack) and we did a very mini-shop in Tesco.

On Wednesday in form I finished off my production log for my EPQ - and I think I'm completely up-to-date now which is :h::h::h:. In Psychology we covered reliability and validity and then had a kahoot which I finally won! I spent a couple of hours in bed when I got home and then went back to my dad's. After dinner I did some more Further Maths integration - I've not been in for any of that chapter - but luckily it seems like it's one of the easiest chapters for Further Maths this year.

Today (Thursday), I woke up a lot earlier than my alarm :frown: - I had an an appointment at 12 - which I went to - and hopefully I'll be starting CBT online after a 2 year wait for therapy. I'm going to bake at some point this afternoon - I kind of want to make cinnamon rolls - but the idea of working with a yeasted dough is daunting.

And that's been this week (though writing about it makes me realise how boring it's actually been).

General update: I emailed the agency I'm going to Canada with about my DBS application and turns out if hasn't been sent off yet because I forgot to fill in my references and their details - oops
I'm onto the last series of Grace and Frankie! A couple of my friends have started watching it - which is great, but I'm kind of sad I've almost finished it because I've really enjoyed it.
I'm going away on Tuesday - Really looking forward to getting out of the UK (if only for a week). I need to take some work with - but I'll probably only take my Psychology textbook with.

And that's it!
I almost definitely won't be updating next week, and the week after looks like it's going to be super busy - but I hope people have had a good week so far and anyone with half term next week has a good half term!
Hope you’ve had a good half term:hugs:
Hope you’ve had a good half term:hugs:

Thank you 😊
You too!!
Week 22: Day 4 - Time is really flying

Woah - so it's been a while.
Half term (and going away) was really lovely - I went out for a meal with a friend and we got really good Malaysian food, and the remainder of half term I was abroad - I got to see some of the fam, and did a lot of walking, and came back feeling very content.

I got my Biology mock back and got an A* - which was great to see considering I found it so hard - but it was a very low A* - so I definitely need to work on exam techniques.
Yesterday I need my Maths mock which was one of the ridiculous papers from last year - and it went terribly. It was honestly one of the most difficult papers I've ever attempted and I know that I'm not going to be happy with the percentage - but so be it.
I also had what was meant to be a Further Maths mock today, but it just ended up being an hour of questions she had compiled from various sources - it went okay - but definitely could have been better.

I checked my email this afternoon and found out that the EPQ deadline is today which is :confused::confused::confused::confused: But okay - so I really need to sit down and finish editing that - but there isn't much left to do at all.

And that's really it (my shortest weekly update ever!) - Hope people have had a good couple of weeks!
glad you had a great time abroad:hugs:
and good luck with getting the epq stuff done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending