The Student Room Group

Could I Be An Art Teacher?

So here's the thing, I worked for my University for over three years as a 'Student Ambassador' then later got offered a 'Teaching Assistant' contract (although this only lasted for a few months due to redundancy). My roles included: Attending careers events at schools across England, delivering presentations to potential students/parents, helping to teach creative workshops at Saturday Clubs for children aged 8-18 and accompanying pupils on educational visits. Recently, I have thought about becoming an Art Teacher at a secondary school. When I say 'Art' I mean I'm considering a range of subjects across Art & Design (Photography, Textiles, etc). I do have a Fashion Promotion & Imaging degree and a similar Diploma, which both fall under the 'Art and Design' sector. The only problem is I only have 4 GCSE's, none are in Maths or Art. The only drawback is my previous qualifications possibly going against me. But I'm hoping that my former work experience, the qualifications I have and good references will maybe be enough for people to see past? Obviously, I am willing to do any relevant teacher training courses, but I just hope what I have will allow me to get onto that. I can remember some of my teachers only having a few GCSE's, a lot didn't even have Teaching MA's, or PCE's, or their BA's were not too close to the subject they taught. But that was 10 years ago and things might have got stricter since then? Can anyone offer me any advice? Thanks.
Original post by jegrah
So here's the thing, I worked for my University for over three years as a 'Student Ambassador' then later got offered a 'Teaching Assistant' contract (although this only lasted for a few months due to redundancy). My roles included: Attending careers events at schools across England, delivering presentations to potential students/parents, helping to teach creative workshops at Saturday Clubs for children aged 8-18 and accompanying pupils on educational visits. Recently, I have thought about becoming an Art Teacher at a secondary school. When I say 'Art' I mean I'm considering a range of subjects across Art & Design (Photography, Textiles, etc). I do have a Fashion Promotion & Imaging degree and a similar Diploma, which both fall under the 'Art and Design' sector. The only problem is I only have 4 GCSE's, none are in Maths or Art. The only drawback is my previous qualifications possibly going against me. But I'm hoping that my former work experience, the qualifications I have and good references will maybe be enough for people to see past? Obviously, I am willing to do any relevant teacher training courses, but I just hope what I have will allow me to get onto that. I can remember some of my teachers only having a few GCSE's, a lot didn't even have Teaching MA's, or PCE's, or their BA's were not too close to the subject they taught. But that was 10 years ago and things might have got stricter since then? Can anyone offer me any advice? Thanks.

You would need a Maths GCSE. The DfE now requires all teachers to have Maths and English GCSEs, or equivalents, but a lot of training providers won't accept equivalents, so you're better off just getting the Maths GCSE and getting that over with.

I would expect most training providers would be fine with your degree, but it might be worth contacting a few to see how they would view it.
Original post by jegrah

Hi Jegrah,

I would second the advice from @SarcAndSpark

The minimum requirements for secondary teacher training are GCSE Maths and English grade C /4 or above. You need to gain a GCSE maths to be eligible to apply- you have several options- these options depend on when you want to apply and how long you have to gain your GCSE.

- Take a GCSE Maths- this is the most straightforward option as GCSE is universally recognized by course providers.

- Take a GCSE Maths equivalency test- the advantage of this option is that you can sit these tests all year round opposed to GCSE ( June and November session only)- the drawback of this option is that course providers do not all recognize the same equivalency tests- so you would have to contact the course providers, you would like to apply to, first, and check with them which equivalency tests they accept, if any- hopefully, several of the ones you want to apply to, will accept the same equivalency tests...so you could go ahead with this option...

Regarding your degree, I would say you have several options:

Option 1: the straight forward option would be to apply for Design & Technology- Textiles- is it something you have considered?

Option 2: If you wish to teach Art- you also might be able to- ( There is a lot of cross over in schools between these subjects- in some schools Textiles falls under the Art department/ sometimes under the technology department- so does Photography/ Graphics)- once again it is a case to contact course providers and ask them if your degree would be suitable for a secondary Art teacher training application.

The experience you have working with children will certainly strengthen your application- do mention it when you contact providers

If you wish to discuss further your options and get some support with contacting the providers, the Get into Teaching website offers a free adviser service- you can register here or call 0800 389 2500 Your adviser will be able to support you in approaching the providers, deciding which option/ course is the best for you and with your application.

Laure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending