The Student Room Group

Oxford/UCL/King's/Bristol/Warwick Law with German law

Hello,
I'm an IB student considering applying to all three of these unis.

At Oxford, Bristol and Warwick for law with German law and to UCL & KCL for law and German law (the qualifying option after which you can take the first state exam)

I have been studying German for a few years now, but I don't actually have it at A level, IB HL (nor SL) or even GCSE.

My question is: is it possible to receive an offer for any of these courses with a Goethe C1 certificate or a Level 4 TestDaF, or is it essential to have it as a school subject?

If considered, would it be a big disadvantage?

Lastly, I know that for Oxford you are considered for just law as well if you don't make the cut for law with lse language-wise.
Is that true for the others?

Thanks in advance😁
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes this is true about Oxford. If your German is not up to par you can get in just for law.

Look at the requirements for formal qualifications on the Oxford subject website. Why did you not study German via the traditional gcse/a level route? Is this because you are a mature student?

Also whilst you are on the same webpage look at the chances of getting in for this course. I think it is only about 9 percent or something like this. My elder son wanted to get into Oxford for German law but did not show much keenness for law. When we pointed out the odds for getting in, he switched to German and graduated from Oxford two years ago. You see, he was crazy about literature so was better suited to the German course
Original post by Oxford Mum
Yes this is true about Oxford. If your German is not up to par you can get in just for law.

Look at the requirements for formal qualifications on the Oxford subject website. Why did you not study German via the traditional gcse/a level route? Is this because you are a mature student?

Also whilst you are on the same webpage look at the chances of getting in for this course. I think it is only about 9 percent or something like this. My elder son wanted to get into Oxford for German law but did not show much keenness for law. When we pointed out the odds for getting in, he switched to German and graduated from Oxford two years ago. You see, he was crazy about literature so was better suited to the German course

Hi! Thanks for responding!

I did not take the traditional route because my school does not offer the subject.

I have looked at the websites and the entry requirements and for every single uni it says "with German at HL". The thing is that supposedly a German A level or IB course is actually at a lower level of language than a CEFR C1.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
Original post by Lamont Library
Hi! Thanks for responding!

I did not take the traditional route because my school does not offer the subject.

I have looked at the websites and the entry requirements and for every single uni it says "with German at HL". The thing is that supposedly a German A level or IB course is actually at a lower level of language than a CEFR C1.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Contact the universities in question to explain your qualification. They might find it acceptable.
Original post by ageshallnot
Contact the universities in question to explain your qualification. They might find it acceptable.

Oh, Thanks!
Original post by ageshallnot

Exactly. It is a crying shame how some schools do not offer german.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending