The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Postgraduate 2020 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by again
Has anyone heard back from the Psychology of Mental Health program?

Hey, I applied in October and they offered me a place in December
Yeah, I applied December 20th and I'm still waiting on my documents to be verified. This is week 9 for me! I've been in contact with admissions and they've only told me that they have a big pile of applications to go through still. I contact anthropology admissions (I applied for a PhD in Anthropology) and they told me they won't see my application until everything has been verified in it.
Just received an offer for MSc American History, pending a 2:1 in my UG degree (on track for a 1st). They processed my references and transcript yesterday so it seems they are pretty fast once the documents are verified.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by FloridaSunshine
Hello and congratulations! I also have applied for the PhD program in Education, but am still awaiting a reply. Good to hear you've received a decision, so hopefully this means one will be coming soon for me as well. Are you International? When did you apply? Congrats again!

Hi FloridaSunshine, I applied in early December. I'm an international student. Good luck to your application!!
I see someone mentioned s/he lives in Edinburgh. Does anyone recommend any specific places to stay if not living in student hostels?
Original post by emmathereader
Just received an offer for MSc American History, pending a 2:1 in my UG degree (on track for a 1st). They processed my references and transcript yesterday so it seems they were pretty fast once the documents are verified.

Original post by Akanksha0701
I got an offer for MSc International Development last week. I applied in November, so it definitely took a while!!

I currently live in the city as well (working to save up for my Masters as it is ridiculously expensive :frown: ). Happy to answer any questions about the city and meet anyone doing the same course? :smile:

Hi Akanksha, It's been more than 10 years since I visited Edinburgh, and I only stayed for 3 days. Where do you recommend students to stay and avoid? Is it easy to find a PT job for students? How safe is it at night?
Hi everyone! Anyone going for the Global Mental Health and Society MSc as well?
does anyone know when we'll know about our funding? I applied to a scholarship and it just says pending. Also, do we have like a deadline to pay some kind of deposit after the offer was made?
Original post by Costigan95
Hello!

Starting a thread here for all University of Edinburgh Postgraduate applicants.

I applied for a MSc in International Political Theory nearly three weeks ago, and have yet to hear from them.

I’m an American, and I’ve also applied to Durham, St Andrews and Bristol. Offer from Durham, and no news from the other schools.

Has anyone heard from Edinburgh?

I submitted my application on the 25th of January. It's the 23rd of February. I am yet to hear from them.
My application in early October took 2 or 3 business days before getting an offer. Social Science MSci.
I received an offer for the LLM International Law Course today! I applied on the 11th of December.
Reply 90
Original post by again
Has anyone heard back from the Psychology of Mental Health program?

When did you apply? Have they given you the offer by now?
Reply 91
Original post by Henry S
When did you apply? Have they given you the offer by now?

I applied mid-December and received the offer today
Original post by Childrensbooks
Hi FloridaSunshine, I applied in early December. I'm an international student. Good luck to your application!!
I see someone mentioned s/he lives in Edinburgh. Does anyone recommend any specific places to stay if not living in student hostels?

Not currently living in Edi but I did my undergrad there (graduated 2019) and I've applied to do an MSc there. When you mean specific places, do you mean university accommodation or like areas of the city to live in?
Just a quick warning, there are currently three weeks of UCU industrial action (strikes) going on around the UK at the moment, including at Edinburgh. Much of the academic staff is striking, and as such, it's quite possible that decisions on applications could be delayed by the industrial action.
It has been 3 months since my PhD application, hope the strikes do not cause a huge delay.
Original post by nellybelly29
Not currently living in Edi but I did my undergrad there (graduated 2019) and I've applied to do an MSc there. When you mean specific places, do you mean university accommodation or like areas of the city to live in?

Thanks for your reply! I mean areas of the city for a family, or university quarters for families.
Original post by Childrensbooks
Thanks for your reply! I mean areas of the city for a family, or university quarters for families.

The most typical family-friendly areas of the city are going to be Marchmont and Bruntsfield I would say. They're both just across the Meadows (a large grassy park area in Edinburgh) from Central campus. Marchmont is also a pretty typical student area, but there are lots of families there too, many of my lecturers lived in Marchmont and so did the families I nannied for. New Town is slightly further from campus, but it's also a nice area to live, though it is known for being a bit more posh and expensive.

Honestly though, Edinburgh is pretty small, and most areas are suitable for both students and families. I lived in various areas around the city during my undergrad, and almost always had a mix of young professionals, students, and families for neighbors. Hopefully this answered your question a bit! Feel free to ask away if you want more detail on anything.
Original post by dragonstone
It has been 3 months since my PhD application, hope the strikes do not cause a huge delay.

Same here! You're not alone. I'm on week 11.
Anyone have any thoughts on student housing? I’m a postgrad, international applicant. Any thoughts on which is the best to apply for? I’m going to be studying for an MScR in History of Art!
Original post by Savannahlann
Same here! You're not alone. I'm on week 11.

Do you want to join me and celebrate 11th week of waiting? I am on week 11 too XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending