The Student Room Group

Saving up for a car... tips?

I've already upped my hours at work, cut unnecessary spending out (ie random coffees, just bringing lunch from home, etc) and have a pretty good insurance rate. I still don't have enough though, and what with the cost of insuring the car aswell, I'm struggling to work out what else to do in order to make this money.

Money advice? Anything you did to help you make a big purchase, however random or niche? I even considered entering writing competitions in the hopes I'd win a 1k prize... got any better ideas to save up a grand and a bit?
Hi,

I wanted a Ford Fiesta - and I wanted the Zetec S (the most sporty version of that Mk). The cars was around £2.5k, the insurance (I didn't want a box...) was around £3k. OUCH. I started by working part time while at sixth form in 2017, I worked so many hours at £4.20, i was getting around £250 a month. I saved up at least £100 a month. It sounds little, it was, but the beauty happened over time. Then a day before pay day, I added the spare cash in to my savings account, I did some photography sessions and a few of my images was sold, it all counts. I did dog walking (that went towards my lessons), in June 2018, I passed my test. I was at approx £1,900. No where near... I then increased my hours of minimum 20 hours a week, I saved up as much as possible. I then got my car at £2,295 out right in August 2018. I pay for my insurance at £235 monthly.

The key it patience and every little helps - as Tesco says! Now, to afford things etc, I'll put money aside - eg, loose change, because all them pennies add up eventually!!
Reply 2
Resell on eBay,
Stat with selling stuff around your house that you don't use and then ask family and friends if they have anything too.
Go to charity shops and carboots (if you can)
But if you're going to do this do some research first to find out what's selling so you have a rough idea of what to pick up..

You could also try doing some freelance work if you have a particular skill that pays
Original post by strawberryleaves
I've already upped my hours at work, cut unnecessary spending out (ie random coffees, just bringing lunch from home, etc) and have a pretty good insurance rate. I still don't have enough though, and what with the cost of insuring the car aswell, I'm struggling to work out what else to do in order to make this money.

Money advice? Anything you did to help you make a big purchase, however random or niche? I even considered entering writing competitions in the hopes I'd win a 1k prize... got any better ideas to save up a grand and a bit?

My best tip would be to think really carefully about whether you need a car. By he time you've paid for it, plus the tax and insurance, might you not be far better off taking public transport, an Uber cab, or hiring one when you really needed it.
Just don't buy a car.

Buying a car is cheap in comparision to maintaing or insuring it.
Even if it's brand new, it costs lots of cash to keep it running.
Reply 5
Original post by PTMalewski
Just don't buy a car.

Buying a car is cheap in comparision to maintaing or insuring it.
Even if it's brand new, it costs lots of cash to keep it running.

That's true tbf there's MOT and tax on top of that if you will have enough money afterwards then you might be ok but if not I would just forget the car and invest the money into something that will make you more money.

Can't you just buy a cheaper car for the time being
Reply 6
If it's going to be a struggle then try to avoid buying one for as long as you can until you are more comfortable with an income as it will always cost more than you think. The biggest saver for me was waiting 2 years after passing my test as the insurance went down by about 66% even though I hadn't been driving. My biggest tip is to avoid new cars or ones which are a money pit to maintain like old BMWs or Mercedes. You are far better looking at something around 10 years old such as a Toyota, Honda or Ford if you want to get the most for your money

When I bought my first car (2013) it was £2k, the insurance was £660, the tax was £220, petrol was about £1200 for the year, I spent almost £500 on tyres, a new exhaust and a new radiator in the first 6 months and then it's not long before the MOT, insurance and tax come round again
Spending on a car doesn’t end after you’ve bought it, from having one all these little problems will arise with additional expenses.
Rob a bank

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending