The Student Room Group

Should Ireland be united??

Just want some opinions on this :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sloanciara

If the people of N Ireland want it, then yes and no if they do not. Not hard.
Reply 2
Sure, why not. It's not like we get much benefit out of NI.
Reply 3
I think most people in Great Britain aren't all that fussed about Northern Ireland, given the amount of trouble it has caused and just how alien even the Loyalist side of the dispute seem to everyday life on the mainland.

That being said, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. It benefits from that economically - and we are better working together than apart. There are plenty of us who quite like the place, for all its foibles, and would like to see it put aside the conflicts of the past and - in a way - become closer to the rest of modern Britain.

How about starting with your opinion?

Not unless you enjoy fighting.
Do you really think that the old UDA and UVF guys would just roll over and have their tummies tickled?

Oh but you can't let terrorism affect your decisions I hear some shout, on that point I would refer you to the last getting on for 4 years of " caring about peace in Northern Ireland" from people that just want to overturn a democratic referendum result.
The very same people that are now arguing for a united Northern Ireland and almost certainly a return to the troubles, but then I guess to those people the plucky little leprechauns of the IRA are the right kind of murdering, terrorist scum.
Reply 6
No. Indeed I would tear up the good Friday agreement, arrest every terrorist and put a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Reply 7
As I believe in self-determination, I think it's up to the people who live there.

What right has anyone got to point at someone's home and say "your land belongs to our government". If enough people in any given area want to be independent or part of the UK or part of Scotland, then that's a matter for them and them alone. Geographics are irrelevent. Just because a place is attached to another place, doesn't mean they should merge politically.
Original post by Pencil
As I believe in self-determination, I think it's up to the people who live there.

What right has anyone got to point at someone's home and say "your land belongs to our government". If enough people in any given area want to be independent or part of the UK or part of Scotland, then that's a matter for them and them alone. Geographics are irrelevent. Just because a place is attached to another place, doesn't mean they should merge politically.

So you don't even believe in Nation states?

Yes.

A border poll would probably have a narrow majority to unite the two.

So give them a border poll.
Ireland should be united, as part of the United Kingdom.

No because the Union must be protected at all costs.
Reply 12
Up to them.
Reply 13
Original post by L i b
I think most people in Great Britain aren't all that fussed about Northern Ireland, given the amount of trouble it has caused and just how alien even the Loyalist side of the dispute seem to everyday life on the mainland.

That being said, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. It benefits from that economically - and we are better working together than apart. There are plenty of us who quite like the place, for all its foibles, and would like to see it put aside the conflicts of the past and - in a way - become closer to the rest of modern Britain.

so we're just gonna ignore the amount of british civilians killed by the IRA? why would we then let them win and let all those deaths be in vain
Reply 14
Original post by hlightfoot
so we're just gonna ignore the amount of british civilians killed by the IRA? why would we then let them win and let all those deaths be in vain

I want Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK.

But equally, I don't think it should be on the back of arguments like that. All deaths are eventually in vain, countries do not hold against time - rarely, even, do principles. Appealing to our glorious dead is usually just a block on progress for the living.
It would be my dream for all of Ireland to be united :daydreaming:

Whether such a united Ireland would be part of the UK or not is not interesting to me
Reply 16
Original post by WoodlandSorcerer
It would be my dream for all of Ireland to be united :daydreaming:

Whether such a united Ireland would be part of the UK or not is not interesting to me

it would not. That much is 100% certain.
Yes, it was stolen from the native Irish by the British and should be returned.

Calling someone a terrorist for protecting their homeland 😂
Reply 18
Original post by isaacmceinstein
Yes, it was stolen from the native Irish by the British and should be returned.

I think it might be wise to learn some Irish history at some point.

And the "native Irish" thing sounds a tad too close to ethnic nationalism.

Calling someone a terrorist for protecting their homeland 😂

Northern Ireland is legitimately part of the United Kingdom and by any standard of any civilised society, the UK Government has a legitimate monopoly of force there. That's why they're terrorists - not to mention that they terrorised civilians, murdered people routinely and targeted people for assassinations. If the IRA were a state, which of course they aren't, they'd be a rogue state.
Original post by L i b
Northern Ireland is legitimately part of the United Kingdom and by any standard of any civilised society, the UK Government has a legitimate monopoly of force there. That's why they're terrorists - not to mention that they terrorised civilians, murdered people routinely and targeted people for assassinations. If the IRA were a state, which of course they aren't, they'd be a rogue state.

The English have been oppressing and silencing the Irish for 800 years. They tried to make the Irish less Irish and more English, tried to make Irish people call themselves British and still do to this day. I have no problem with English people but I believe that Ireland should be united. There is no clear border on the island, no difference between North and South, only the Imaginary line drawn up by the British here to divide the nation.
What about the RUC and Army terrorising civilians, stopping them on their way home, hiding in ditches, attacking and threatening with brute force, whilst the “government” turned a blind eye.
As for your underhanded remark on “ethnic nationalism”, anybody of any ethnicity or race born on the island of Ireland is Irish, plain and simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending