The Student Room Group

RAF fighter pilot

I was just wondering how many people actually get the chance of becoming a fighter pilot after doing the basic flight training. Do we get a choice of the type of aircraft we want to fly or is it decided for us.
Reply 1
I am not sure on the number of people who get selected for fast jets, but it is decided for you.
Great thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Itsjacksutcliffe
I was just wondering how many people actually get the chance of becoming a fighter pilot after doing the basic flight training. Do we get a choice of the type of aircraft we want to fly or is it decided for us.

It's a combination of preference, service needs and your performance. Service needs come first, then your ability, then what you'd like.

The odds of getting in as a pilot are slim enough as it is, so getting operational in any fleet is hard.
Original post by Drewski
It's a combination of preference, service needs and your performance. Service needs come first, then your ability, then what you'd like.

The odds of getting in as a pilot are slim enough as it is, so getting operational in any fleet is hard.

Thanks
Reply 5
Which of the two front line fast jets do you want to fly, Jack. And why?
Original post by Ikaruss
Which of the two front line fast jets do you want to fly, Jack. And why?

I’d love to fly typhoons or f-35s I really want to support the troops on the ground by doing something I’m passionate about.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
I’d love to fly typhoons or f-35s I really want to support the troops on the ground by doing something I’m passionate about

Is flying fast jets the only way that can happen?
Original post by Drewski
Is flying fast jets the only way that can happen?

no not at all, thats just my dream way to do so

Hi

You apply to be a pilot, the RAF decides which type of aircraft you'll fly (Fast Jet, Multi-Engine or Rotary).

As has been advised, it's determined via many different requirements, the RAF's at the time being primary.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

You apply to be a pilot, the RAF decides which type of aircraft you'll fly (Fast Jet, Multi-Engine or Rotary).

As has been advised, it's determined via many different requirements, the RAF's at the time being primary.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Quick question do you know whether the amount of fast jet pilots required is going up or down right now
Quick question do you know whether the amount of fast jet pilots required is going up or down right now

Hi

It doesn't work like that. There are many different factors that decide which aircraft a person is streamed to. The main one is RAF operational requirements at the time and future planning etc. But other things like your own aptitude scores, the training pipeline and even your own body dimensions will all come into play. Your own application and the aircraft you could be streamed to won't be known until after you've applied and have done initial flight training.

As stated, you'll apply to be a 'pilot' the type of aircraft you fly is out of your hands. You give a preference, but you're not guaranteed to get that. You should know that before applying if you have your heart set on racing through the mach loop in something fast and pointy! ;-)

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi

It doesn't work like that. There are many different factors that decide which aircraft a person is streamed to. The main one is RAF operational requirements at the time and future planning etc. But other things like your own aptitude scores, the training pipeline and even your own body dimensions will all come into play. Your own application and the aircraft you could be streamed to won't be known until after you've applied and have done initial flight training.

As stated, you'll apply to be a 'pilot' the type of aircraft you fly is out of your hands. You give a preference, but you're not guaranteed to get that. You should know that before applying if you have your heart set on racing through the mach loop in something fast and pointy! ;-)

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Okay thanks for your help 👍
Hi

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Actually sorry one last question if I was initially streamed onto one kind of aircraft can I later apply to be transferred to a different kind?
Actually sorry one last question if I was initially streamed onto one kind of aircraft can I later apply to be transferred to a different kind?

Hi

That's unlikely. The length of training for FJ, for example, is two years. Multi-engine is almost a year at ten months etc. That's without conversion training on the specific aircraft type once completed etc.

We spend a lot of time and money training you for a specific role to be able to do it operationally when required. You'll need to bear in mind that not everyone who applies for the pilot role is going to be Fast Jet, it's just not possible as we have other requirements.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

It's not completely impossible, but it is very very unlikely.

Quick Reply

Latest