The Student Room Group

Should the government take 10% off any savings over 50,000 pounds?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
Possibly not the best example but good point nevertheless :wink:

Bezos made his fortune legally. He doesn't employ slaves, he isn't corrupt and he follows British law.
How does taking money off these people who work hard and honestly incentivise wealth generation?
Reply 141
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Bezos made his fortune legally. He doesn't employ slaves, he isn't corrupt and he follows British law.
How does taking money off these people who work hard and honestly incentivise wealth generation?

It doesn't quite frankly. And me thinks it smells of envy!
There is a difference between taxing billionaires disproportionately which is fair no matter if they made their money legally. But 50k is not a lot of money lmaoo that’s a middle class amount of savings. No one needs a billion pounds but 50k in savings isn’t all that much. You can’t even buy a small flat with that money
Reply 143

Oh my point was more his employment practices are somewhat dubious.
Reply 144
Original post by Napp
Possibly not the best example but good point nevertheless :wink:

Is he not a good example? He created an incredible service with unparalleled choice and low pricing that's so good traditional retailers and other websites are being left in the dust.
Original post by Napp
Oh my point was more his employment practices are somewhat dubious.

Regardless of that, he does create jobs and does so in accordance with the law.
This will not be beneficial at all. People have savings for a reason, usually for retirement, to pay for education, or pay for a new house, taking savings from them today will cost you later as people would have been independent become dependent.
Reply 147
Original post by It’s Jacob
This will not be beneficial at all. People have savings for a reason, usually for retirement, to pay for education, or pay for a new house, taking savings from them today will cost you later as people would have been independent become dependent.

The Op already knows this but he probably struggles to earn money to fund the life style he wants so he has brcome a Trotskyist!
Reply 148
Original post by tmr19
Is he not a good example? He created an incredible service with unparalleled choice and low pricing that's so good traditional retailers and other websites are being left in the dust.

Which some would argue is the point. With traditional smalltown shops being culled by a tax dodging American.
Regardless of that, he does create jobs and does so in accordance with the law.

One never said he didn't.
Reply 149
Original post by Napp
Which some would argue is the point. With traditional smalltown shops being culled by a tax dodging American.

One never said he didn't.

I fail to see how anyone with economic literacy can argue against less efficient producers being put out of business by an objectively better enterprise. Tax dodging is irrelevant here - businesses only get taxed on their profits.

Consumers are much better off and the resources wasted keeping those shops open can be allocated elsewhere in the economy.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 150
Original post by tmr19
I fail to see how anyone with economic literacy can argue against less efficient producers being put out of business by an objectively better enterprise.

Ah you sound like one of those free market extremists. If you can honestly say you see nothing wrong with village high streets becoming ghost towns then you're either a cretin or you've never actually been to a village and know anything on the matter.

Tax dodging is irrelevant here - businesses only get taxed on their profits

How is that irrelevant dear? :lol:
Reply 151
Original post by Napp

How is that irrelevant dear? :lol:

Because him dodging corporate taxes has zero to do with him being more competitive than high street business. Dodging taxes doesn't reduce your operating costs as a business.
Reply 152
Original post by Napp
Ah you sound like one of those free market extremists. If you can honestly say you see nothing wrong with village high streets becoming ghost towns then you're either a cretin or you've never actually been to a village and know anything on the matter.

Village high streets aren't the ones generally being impacted by Amazon, as there is typically a stronger community sense in villages, so consumers there make an effort to patronise them. That is an example of a free market...
Reply 153
Original post by tmr19
Because him dodging corporate taxes has zero to do with him being more competitive than high street business. Dodging taxes doesn't reduce your operating costs as a business.

Seeing as my point was about him not running a particularly ethical enterprise and had nothing what so ever to do with his competitiveness...
Reply 154
Original post by Napp
Seeing as my point was about him not running a particularly ethical enterprise and had nothing what so ever to do with his competitiveness...

I'd counter and say providing superior service and cost to hundreds of millions of people is a great service to humanity.
Reply 155
Original post by tmr19
I'd counter and say providing superior service and cost to hundreds of millions of people is a great service to humanity.

Tell that to the employees who get treated like **** in the warehouses.
Reply 156
Original post by Napp

Amazon must be the best employer they could get. Assuming rationality, if there was a better employer willing to pay them then they would be working there. Obviously it isn't ideal but it must be better than the alternatives offered
Reply 157
Original post by tmr19
Amazon must be the best employer they could get. Assuming rationality, if there was a better employer willing to pay them then they would be working there. Obviously it isn't ideal but it must be better than the alternatives offered

That would seem rather beside the point.. Equally this line of argument smells suspiciously similar to the farcical one applied to those in places such as McDonalds that its either the best they can get or they should move.
Original post by Napp

They do have the right to resign from their jobs though.
Reply 159
They do have the right to resign from their jobs though.

Indeed they do, i'm not sure how thats relevant though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending