The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at UCL?

My dream university is UCL
GCSE’s: 777655544
A levels predicted: A*AA

My gcse grades are very bad for UCL but do I stand a chance? I’m very confident that I could achieve my predicted a level grades and higher I literally devote all my time to revision and practice. Do you think they’d consider the fact that I went to a low state school in a low income area for my gcse’s ? My good a level grades are mainly because of me moving to one of the best sixth forms in my area and getting the support and teaching that I needed. I also have 7s in English lit and maths. I’m planning on getting as much community service and activities done after this corona pandemic. I’m taking part in essay competitions and am beginning an EPQ in year 13. Thanks
What course? It depends but I think you do. All unis take consideration of what schools you went to so if you did well above the average in your school, that's amazing to them.
Reply 2
@PetitePanda I want to study law
Original post by 6ambz
@PetitePanda I want to study law

Thank you for tagging me so I can see this. @Euphoria101 do you have advice for OP for UCL law?

For gcses, I suggest looking at these and see the difference between different applications:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_statistics_ucl_2018
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/447388/response/1081925/attach/7/FOI%20017%20458%20PDF%205.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/551658/response/1322925/attach/3/FOI%20019%20099%20Qus%201%203.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Your LNAT performance is very important for UCL, especially the essay, so you would have a better application if you do well in this.

UCL:
"All applications are screened first to ensure that they are predicted to achieve or exceed the minimum academic requirements of A*AA (to be achieved in one exam sitting - the first - unless extenuating circumstances exist) or overseas equivalent together with the GCSE requirements. The UCAS application is not scored directly. The LNAT essay is scored from 1-5 (with .5 steps) by an Admissions Tutor.

Scores equate to
1 = Poor
2 = Satisfactory
3 = Good
4 = Very Good
5 = Excellent

Admissions decisions are reached by building up an overall profile for each individual candidate which is informed by all information provided in their UCAS application and supporting documentation. This includes academic performance at GCSE, A2 level (or the overseas equivalent), the motivation demonstrated towards studying law, extra-curricular activities, the academic reference, the LNAT multiple-choice score and LNAT essay. We are primarily looking for candidates that can demonstrate that they have the necessary skills and aptitude for studying law."

Also what are your A level subjects? What is your grade in English Language? Do you have a gcse in a language?
Reply 4
@PetitePanda thank you so much for all that information and my a level subjects are history, English literature and psychology with predicted grades A*AA, i have a grade 7 in English lit and grade 6 in English language, I do speak another language but don’t have a gcse in it as my school didn’t have the resources for that language
Original post by 6ambz
@PetitePanda thank you so much for all that information and my a level subjects are history, English literature and psychology with predicted grades A*AA, i have a grade 7 in English lit and grade 6 in English language, I do speak another language but don’t have a gcse in it as my school didn’t have the resources for that language

For basic requirements on their website, your A level combo, gcse basic requirement is fine. However, you will need to look at this for your absence of a mfl gcse: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-international-education/study/modules/courses-and-applying/ucl-modern-foreign-language-requirement
Original post by PetitePanda
Thank you for tagging me so I can see this. @Euphoria101 do you have advice for OP for UCL law?

For gcses, I suggest looking at these and see the difference between different applications:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_statistics_ucl_2018
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/447388/response/1081925/attach/7/FOI%20017%20458%20PDF%205.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/551658/response/1322925/attach/3/FOI%20019%20099%20Qus%201%203.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Your LNAT performance is very important for UCL, especially the essay, so you would have a better application if you do well in this.

UCL:
"All applications are screened first to ensure that they are predicted to achieve or exceed the minimum academic requirements of A*AA (to be achieved in one exam sitting - the first - unless extenuating circumstances exist) or overseas equivalent together with the GCSE requirements. The UCAS application is not scored directly. The LNAT essay is scored from 1-5 (with .5 steps) by an Admissions Tutor.

Scores equate to
1 = Poor
2 = Satisfactory
3 = Good
4 = Very Good
5 = Excellent

Admissions decisions are reached by building up an overall profile for each individual candidate which is informed by all information provided in their UCAS application and supporting documentation. This includes academic performance at GCSE, A2 level (or the overseas equivalent), the motivation demonstrated towards studying law, extra-curricular activities, the academic reference, the LNAT multiple-choice score and LNAT essay. We are primarily looking for candidates that can demonstrate that they have the necessary skills and aptitude for studying law."

Also what are your A level subjects? What is your grade in English Language? Do you have a gcse in a language?

Thanks for the tag.

I definitely agree. Your GCSEs are obviously weaker than the average for a UCL Law-offer holder but A-Levels, the PS and most importantly the LNAT are much more significant. The only requirements from what I know at least include having a 6 in Maths GCSE and English Language.

You mentioned you attended a low-income state school. Was it also low-performing? If so I'd definitely get your UCAS referee to mention in your reference this information - that your GCSEs were a result of a low-performing school and that your improvement (shown by your A-Level grades) show a solid trajectory.

I had no idea that they had a MFL GCSE requirement, but I imagine that because your school didn't provide the GCSE you wouldn't be disadvantaged, again I'd recommend you get your referee to mention this in your reference and also email the law admissions department to double check about this requirement and explain your situation.
Also can this be moved to the law forum? @harrysbar
Original post by Euphoria101
Thanks for the tag.

I definitely agree. Your GCSEs are obviously weaker than the average for a UCL Law-offer holder but A-Levels, the PS and most importantly the LNAT are much more significant. The only requirements from what I know at least include having a 6 in Maths GCSE and English Language.

You mentioned you attended a low-income state school. Was it also low-performing? If so I'd definitely get your UCAS referee to mention in your reference this information - that your GCSEs were a result of a low-performing school and that your improvement (shown by your A-Level grades) show a solid trajectory.

I had no idea that they had a MFL GCSE requirement, but I imagine that because your school didn't provide the GCSE you wouldn't be disadvantaged, again I'd recommend you get your referee to mention this in your reference and also email the law admissions department to double check about this requirement and explain your situation.

I think they are the only uni with an MFL gcse requirement in a non-language course but it wont disadvantage OP because they can do the alternatives in this: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-international-education/study/modules/courses-and-applying/ucl-modern-foreign-language-requirement
Reply 9
@Euphoria101 yes it was a very low performing school especially when it came to a levels and gcse, students that got As were very few. Also thank you so much for the advice i really do appreciate it xx
Original post by PetitePanda
I think they are the only uni with an MFL gcse requirement in a non-language course but it wont disadvantage OP because they can do the alternatives in this: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-international-education/study/modules/courses-and-applying/ucl-modern-foreign-language-requirement

Tbf I still think OP should ask and explain their situation to the admissions department, it may not be necessary considering it's not their fault they didn't do an MFL GCSE. But yeah, there are alternative options if the admissions department responds and says OP needs it to get an offer.
Original post by 6ambz
@Euphoria101 yes it was a very low performing school especially when it came to a levels and gcse, students that got As were very few. Also thank you so much for the advice i really do appreciate it xx

No worries!

I definitely think you have a shot then. How did you do in your GCSEs compared to others in your old school?

Definitely get your referee to explain this then.
Tbf I still think OP should ask and explain their situation to the admissions department, it may not be necessary considering it's not their fault they didn't do an MFL GCSE. But yeah, there are alternative options if the admissions department responds and says OP needs it to get an offer.

PRSOM That's very true.
Reply 13
@Euphoria101 I definitely think I did well than the majority many people failed and a large group of the year got 5/4s . It was only 20.4 % of the year group who actually got grade 5 and above in English and maths. So yeah not so great
Original post by 6ambz
@Euphoria101 I definitely think I did well than the majority many people failed and a large group of the year got 5/4s . It was only 20.4 % of the year group who actually got grade 5 and above in English and maths. So yeah not so great

Mention this specifically to your referee
Reply 15
@Euphoria101 will do! Again thanks for all the support :smile:
Also can this be moved to the law forum? @harrysbar

Of course and I can reassure @6ambz that the lack of a language GCSE should not hold them back. All they would need to do after enrolling at UCL is to sign up for one of their basic language courses, which are at equivalent level to GCSE. From their website:

UCL encourages intercultural awareness in all its students, and considers experience of learning a foreign language a vital element of a broad and balanced education. We wish to ensure that all of our graduates have had some experience of exploring another culture through language but we are concerned to ensure that our admissions requirements do not disadvantage those who did not undertake language study to GCSE or above at school.

UK students who do not have a GCSE grade 5 (or grade C) or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) on admission to UCL will be required to acquire an equivalent level of language proficiency once they are enrolled with us.
Reply 17
@harrysbar that’s really helpful , thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending