The Student Room Group

Why does America have such variety in sports when all we really have is football?

They have basketball, baseball, hockey etc and all we really have is football and I guess rugby, all other sports such as golf (which is bs) is only liked by a niche group of people.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThuggerThugger
They have basketball, baseball, hockey etc and all we really have is football and I guess rugby, all other sports such as golf (which is bs) is only liked by a niche group of people.

We are very diverse with sports. Football is big enough but we have RU and RL, cricket and all the olympic sports, cycling. Considering its size we do most sports. The US is six times larger.
Reply 2

Cricket, Rugby, Football, Hockey, Squash, Tennis, Real Tennis, Badminton, Rowing, Horse Racing... etc. etc. etc.
Heavyweight boxing is ruled by Great Britain atm
Original post by Napp
Cricket, Rugby, Football, Hockey, Squash, Tennis, Real Tennis, Badminton, Rowing, Horse Racing... etc. etc. etc.

What is the difference between Tennis and Real Tennis?

Why do you make these threads when you haven't a clue about the topic?

You tried the same thing with English food and got rightly shot down.
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
What is the difference between Tennis and Real Tennis?

Not being particularly good at either i'm not entirely sure how to describe the difference suffice it to say in real tennis you bounce the ball off of a wall as opposed to smacking it at each other

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis
Original post by Napp
Not being particularly good at either i'm not entirely sure how to describe the difference suffice it to say in real tennis you bounce the ball off of a wall as opposed to smacking it at each other

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis

So a Squash/Tennis hybrid?
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec
So a Squash/Tennis hybrid?

Real tennis is the original.
Original post by Drewski
Real tennis is the original.

I am aware.

It's a function of the fact that the US is really a continent rather than a country. Different things were originally popular in different geographical areas as a function of (mostly) local weather conditions.

Then, over time, as the population spread they became more ubiquitous across the whole country.
Reply 11
We have leagues and a national team for ice hickey and basketball in the UK, too.

You don't see the USA winning Olympic gold at field hockey, either.
Reply 12
Sport is boring and americans love that dumb sh*t so they have "more" of it.
(edited 3 years ago)

In America there are so many popular sports for majority, they have a higher and different appreciation as in Britain. 911 millions people live in America, but 66 millions in Britain, so fringe sports as in hockey and basketball for instance can be shared by many more people in America as in Britain. The more people in a country the greater the diversity in sport is. It is more difficult to find a sport for 911 millions of people in common than for 66 millions.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
I wish we had rugby in the US :frown:
Original post by Kallisto
In America there are so many popular sports for majority, they have a higher and different appreciation as in Britain. 911 millions people live in America, but 66 millions in Britain, so fringe sports as in hockey and basketball for instance can be shared by many more people in America as in Britain. The more people in a country the greater the diversity in sport is. It is more difficult to find a sport for 911 millions of people in common than for 66 millions.

Still though 66 million isn’t exactly a small number...
Americans are better at combat sports, which I'm jel of. I wish British Schools were big into wrestling like US schools are
Football is all we need anyway
Reply 18
Most of the sports played in Britain are much more international than a lot of 'traditional' American sports - such as basketball, hockey blah blah.

Aside from the difference in population, the culture is very different. Americans seem to idolise and glamorise individual talents from grassroots all the way up to the pros. There is a boastful arrogance that is integrated within their culture and individual winners (especially those who love to talk) draw a lot of attention. In the UK, however, it seems that there is more emphasis on a social effort rather than the individual. Rugby, for instance, are not big on celebrations as its a team effort. Football again requires a team effort, no matter how good an individual may be. The only outlier may be boxing with AJ and Tyson Fury taking centre stage. Even then their personality is not as boisterous as the American e.g. when one-trick Wilder was a HW champ. There are many more cultural differences, but that's my two cents.

Quick Reply

Latest