The Student Room Group

A Level Dilemma

Hello,

I'm a Year 11 trying to figure out my A levels right now. What would be a good third option to go with Geography and French?

Right now, my choices are Geography, Biology and Chemistry but I'm worried that these options don't give me much movement away from science if I changed my mind further down the line so I'm just exploring some other combinations before it's too late.

Help would be much appreciated! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Maths might work with them?
Geography, literature and biology might keep your options wide
Original post by LackingIdeas
Hello,I'm a Year 11 trying to figure out my A levels right now. What would be a good third option to go with Geography and French?Right now, my choices are Geography, Biology and Chemistry but I'm worried that these options don't give me much movement away from science if I changed my mind further down the line so I'm just exploring some other combinations before it's too late.Help would be much appreciated! :smile:

You could try different combinations in this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Original post by Muttley79
You could try different combinations in this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Thank you - I'll take a look!
French is a good option as it gives you the option of doing french or something with french (e.g. law with french). Geography is also a good option as it gives you the option of geography. You can also do social sciences like archaeology and psychology (since you have one science) and social sciences that doesnt require any a levels like law or anthropology. You can do degrees that dont require any a levels like business and finance. With biology and chemistry, you have a lot of options. Either combination will give you a good range of courses to choose from
Original post by PetitePanda
French is a good option as it gives you the option of doing french or something with french (e.g. law with french). Geography is also a good option as it gives you the option of geography. You can also do social sciences like archaeology and psychology (since you have one science) and social sciences that doesnt require any a levels like law or anthropology. You can do degrees that dont require any a levels like business and finance. With biology and chemistry, you have a lot of options. Either combination will give you a good range of courses to choose from

Hey, thanks for the advice - the variety of courses and subjects out there is really overwhelming! At GCSE, I enjoyed science, however, I'm worried that without Maths I'll struggle with science further down the line.
Also, careers related to medicine and pharmacy don't interest me so is there much point in pursuing Biology and Chemistry at A Level? Are there any science-related jobs outside of the lab?
Hey, thanks for the advice - the variety of courses and subjects out there is really overwhelming! At GCSE, I enjoyed science, however, I'm worried that without Maths I'll struggle with science further down the line.
Also, careers related to medicine and pharmacy don't interest me so is there much point in pursuing Biology and Chemistry at A Level? Are there any science-related jobs outside of the lab?

You'll be fine without maths. It would be easier with maths but you would be able to catch up on maths related content in a level. Tbh the only content in maths that links with a science a level is physic's mechanics modules so dont worry about not having maths as the content is very not linked to the sciences that much. Even if you dont want to medicine or pharmacy, pursuing biology and chemistry a level is still great because its something you enjoy and there are lots of degrees you could look at without mainly being healthcare (e.g. archaeology). I want to do law at uni but I didnt choose english or politics but rather physics and maths because I enjoyed the two and you dont need any a levels for it - you wont be limited in your options as long as you have the required a level and grades you wanted. I'm not sure career wise so maybe ask in a new post in here; I'm sure someone more knowledge will help you :h:
Original post by PetitePanda
You'll be fine without maths. It would be easier with maths but you would be able to catch up on maths related content in a level. Tbh the only content in maths that links with a science a level is physic's mechanics modules so dont worry about not having maths as the content is very not linked to the sciences that much. Even if you dont want to medicine or pharmacy, pursuing biology and chemistry a level is still great because its something you enjoy and there are lots of degrees you could look at without mainly being healthcare (e.g. archaeology). I want to do law at uni but I didnt choose english or politics but rather physics and maths because I enjoyed the two and you dont need any a levels for it - you wont be limited in your options as long as you have the required a level and grades you wanted. I'm not sure career wise so maybe ask in a new post in here; I'm sure someone more knowledge will help you :h:

That's so cool that you're going into law having done maths and physics - you'll definitely be able to bring something new the table and it sounds like fun!
Thanks for reassuring me and I'll go write a new post for the careers question :tongue:
That's so cool that you're going into law having done maths and physics - you'll definitely be able to bring something new the table and it sounds like fun!
Thanks for reassuring me and I'll go write a new post for the careers question :tongue:

Haha I enjoyed all my subjects and law is great for me since I like the subject and I get to enjoy my favourite subjects without worrying about subject requirements at all; honestly, I love revising for all of them - it's just the case of motivation and focus now... If you do your research you'll find that there's so many degrees available to you and hopefully careers wise as well
Hello,

I'm a Year 11 trying to figure out my A levels right now. What would be a good third option to go with Geography and French?

Right now, my choices are Geography, Biology and Chemistry but I'm worried that these options don't give me much movement away from science if I changed my mind further down the line so I'm just exploring some other combinations before it's too late.

definitely don't need to worry about options outside of sciences as to be honest they're the only subjects with strict requirements. Unless you are considering something like an English degree you'd need English or for art you'd need art but for that you could also just make a portfolio on the side (same for architecture). I really can't think of any other subject with actual subject requirements they'd wanna just see you can get good grades. Maths is always a good subject to have if you wanted to widen your options in science but definitely keep chem if you're thinking chem/bio/medical sciences because Universities actually prefer chemistry to Biology even in most Biology related courses!
Hello,

As an A-Level Spanish student (year 13), languages are HARD. But so are A-Levels in general. Languages are loved by unis though so a very good option. Chemistry is supposedly one of the hardest A-Levels you can do (that said, they’re all difficult in some way) so if you’re not 100% sure I would maybe do something else and keep your options open. This probably doesn’t help loads but just my opinion and obvs i don’t know all of your circumstances. Best of luck to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest