The Student Room Group

Theology 2021 Entry

Is anyone applying to study Theology for 2021 entry? Since Theology isn’t necessarily a popular subject I haven’t met anyone else that wants to study it :smile:

As a conversation starter you might wanna put your:
Name
A levels (or other qualifications lol)
Unis of choice
What your thinking about doing after uni (it’s okay if you don’t know lol)
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm definitely applying as a backup and I'm thinking of changing my main choice to Theology...
Why are you choosing Theo. and where? :tongue:
Reply 2
I’m (hopefully) applying to Kings (first choice), St Mary’s, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds. I’m super interested in the nature of God and the Bible. I can’t wait to learn Hebrew. But I’m also really interested (and I’m currently researching) how religion has impacts our everyday lives regardless of beliefs. I’m also a Christian so there’s that lol. What about you?
Reply 3
Hey that sounds very interesting! I'm applying for Oxford (might as well try :biggrin:) and Durham so far, still researching the others. I originally wanted to do PPE for the job prospects (and I am interested in it...) but I am way more interested in Theology, mostly Early Church history, Christology and Eastern Orthodox theology. Also Christian, I am exploring a vocation to the Priesthood but idk about that yet.
Hebrew looks too hard for me :s-smilie:, I'm wanting to choose Latin or Biblical Greek.
Reply 4
Ooo Oxford! I hope you get in! What a A levels do you do? What denomination are you? And what draws you to the priesthood? I was gonna do something with a straighter career path but I’m going out on a leap of faith and trusting that it’ll all work out. Also I NEVER meet people who want to study theology so this is pretty exciting for me lol.
I'm going for Philosophy but I'm considering doing a joint in Theology. I just am weary that I haven't done RE since Year 9 and actually have no idea what I will be learning haha. Might have to joint PolSci instead but that would be my second choice
Reply 6
Original post by 2_versions
I'm going for Philosophy but I'm considering doing a joint in Theology. I just am weary that I haven't done RE since Year 9 and actually have no idea what I will be learning haha. Might have to joint PolSci instead but that would be my second choice

Oooo do you do philosophy now? What other A levels do you do? Where are you applying to? I haven’t done RE since year 11 but I take Philosophy (We don’t learn about religion but one topic is about the nature of God) so I’m hoping I won’t be too lost!
Original post by ShekinahA
Oooo do you do philosophy now? What other A levels do you do? Where are you applying to? I haven’t done RE since year 11 but I take Philosophy (We don’t learn about religion but one topic is about the nature of God) so I’m hoping I won’t be too lost!

Right now I do Politics Business and Economics, but I am studying ethics and online psychology independently for my EPQ. I'm not sure where I'm applying yet lol but UoB probably because it is close to my town. I would love to do Philosophy A-Level but my college doesn't do it so lucky you :smile: .
Nature of God is something that fascinates me, especially the "personality" when comparing different religious viewpoints. In Christianity, all of Satan's actions must be approved by God (he can not persuade, harm, kill etc without permission). I find that very interesting as this must mean he sabotaged Adam and Eve himself, which is a very "observatory" thing to do.
The nature you probably mean is the "is God the designer or creator" and "is God benevolent/all good/ somewhat evil" kinda stuff though right? I haven't read any of that apart from the 'Evil Demon' stuff Descartes describes God as in Meditations on First.
What are you doing now and in uni?
Reply 8
Right now I do Politics Business and Economics, but I am studying ethics and online psychology independently for my EPQ. I'm not sure where I'm applying yet lol but UoB probably because it is close to my town. I would love to do Philosophy A-Level but my college doesn't do it so lucky you :smile: .
Nature of God is something that fascinates me, especially the "personality" when comparing different religious viewpoints. In Christianity, all of Satan's actions must be approved by God (he can not persuade, harm, kill etc without permission). I find that very interesting as this must mean he sabotaged Adam and Eve himself, which is a very "observatory" thing to do.
The nature you probably mean is the "is God the designer or creator" and "is God benevolent/all good/ somewhat evil" kinda stuff though right? I haven't read any of that apart from the 'Evil Demon' stuff Descartes describes God as in Meditations on First.

Ahhh your wider reading probably shows a much greater interest! I’m not sure about God approving of Satan’s acts but haven’t done much research into that. And yeah I’m talking more about the characteristics of God. As a Christian it’s proper interesting to see rebuttals to God’s existence and why people think things like evil exist. I’m studying Philosophy, Politics and Business! And I’m hoping to go to Kings but I’m applying to Birmingham as well. Do you have an idea of what you want to do after?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Ooo Oxford! I hope you get in! What a A levels do you do? What denomination are you? And what draws you to the priesthood? I was gonna do something with a straighter career path but I’m going out on a leap of faith and trusting that it’ll all work out. Also I NEVER meet people who want to study theology so this is pretty exciting for me lol.

Thank you very much, I hope you have luck with your applications too :biggrin:! I'm Anglican but really interested in Eastern Orthodoxy (not a convert-y interest mind you, just an "interest" interest :tongue:). Currently I take History, Politics and Economics, as you might tell from those I really like debating and understanding ideas! For the Priesthood, hmm... When I ask myself what I want to do with my life, I really do think that it should boil down to helping people and helping the faith. I used to think I could do that best as a politician, but every year or so I completely change my mind on what job I want, whereas 'Priest' seems to be a constant "alternative" that never seems to "grow old" like ideas of other jobs... maybe that means something :confused: I don't know yet... also leaps of faith are great as you are putting your faith in the Lord, who is more constant than any worldly plan we have... that's my take at least... :smile:

What about yourself?!
Hey all, I’m going to apply to philosophy so maybe we should this chat should be for Theology and Philosophy 2021 entry applicants? We’re equally as rare!
I’m considering St Andrews, Edinburgh, Exeter, Sheffield, Sussex, Newcastle, Cardiff, York, Nottingham...still quite unsure😅 Edinburgh and Exeter are my favourites atm though :smile:
Reply 11

Seems we all like Politics and Business/Econ!
I haven't done RS or the like since year 9 as well...

Also its quite a different thing to permit something and to condone it. When God created the universe [I would argue with the Big Bang but I know one or two that wouldn't], he must have made it in the way that would give the best result for mankind, if you believe he is all-loving. (its fascinating to think that if the first few particles went in minutely different directions the universe would be unrecognisably different, eh?). Therefore everything 'evil' must have a purpouse which at the end must be good, even if its very hard to see it. "No pain no gain" comes to mind and jokes aside I think that holds up. If the world was perfect then we would grow decadent and sin (like in the garden of Eden), and I think its true to an extent that only through hardships can we grow stronger. Think of the Apostles and the early Christians... the amount of persecution, death and fear they went through and still they believed? They must have had iron wills and iron faith... Furthermore (I can't remember which denomination this comes from, if it has biblical evidence or even if it is dogma) I remember hearing or reading that it is believed that God will judge you based on your conditions... someone who has been through hell and still kept their faith will be looked upon much more easily at the final judgement than someone who has had every luxury and done little more than 'keep their faith'. So even after the seemingly unfair distribution of evil in this life, we can look to equality and equity in the eyes of God... I think that's neat, eh?

(sorry for the rant I don't even know how readable that is :s-smilie:)
Reply 12
Original post by ~David~
Thank you very much, I hope you have luck with your applications too :biggrin:! I'm Anglican but really interested in Eastern Orthodoxy (not a convert-y interest mind you, just an "interest" interest :tongue:). Currently I take History, Politics and Economics, as you might tell from those I really like debating and understanding ideas! For the Priesthood, hmm... When I ask myself what I want to do with my life, I really do think that it should boil down to helping people and helping the faith. I used to think I could do that best as a politician, but every year or so I completely change my mind on what job I want, whereas 'Priest' seems to be a constant "alternative" that never seems to "grow old" like ideas of other jobs... maybe that means something :confused: I don't know yet... also leaps of faith are great as you are putting your faith in the Lord, who is more constant than any worldly plan we have... that's my take at least... :smile:

What about yourself?!

Yeah I get what you mean about it idea of it never growing old. Maybe that’s a sign? I’m considered going into ministry but being a black girl I’m not sure about how easy it’ll be to get in. But I know that if it’s God’s plan it’ll happen regardless. One career path I’ve been looking at is work for the civil service. It seems like a pretty steady job but I know I should do something that excites me not just work for money.
Reply 13
Original post by justjas33
Hey all, I’m going to apply to philosophy so maybe we should this chat should be for Theology and Philosophy 2021 entry applicants? We’re equally as rare!
I’m considering St Andrews, Edinburgh, Exeter, Sheffield, Sussex, Newcastle, Cardiff, York, Nottingham...still quite unsure😅 Edinburgh and Exeter are my favourites atm though :smile:

Of course! Welcome! What A levels do you do? And why do you want to study Philosophy? I’m considering Nottingham but the idea of leaving London makes me very sad lol. What about Exeter and Edinburgh do you like? Also I just made a studentroom account so I don’t know if I can change the title thingy sorry!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Yeah I get what you mean about it idea of it never growing old. Maybe that’s a sign? I’m considered going into ministry but being a black girl I’m not sure about how easy it’ll be to get in. But I know that if it’s God’s plan it’ll happen regardless. One career path I’ve been looking at is work for the civil service. It seems like a pretty steady job but I know I should do something that excites me not just work for money.

I don't see why you should have any problem with the Anglican or Protestant denominations, who have been ordaining women for decades. Sadly there is a shortage of Priests at the moment so even if for some random horrible reason they would try and make it harder for you because of your ethnicity or gender, they can hardly stop you, especially with God behind you :biggrin:.
Civil Service is a great job, but it's important to do something you enjoy!
Great to see someone else with the same feeling about the "never growing old" feeling! Hoping It wasn't just me!
Reply 15
Original post by ~David~
I don't see why you should have any problem with the Anglican or Protestant denominations, who have been ordaining women for decades. Sadly there is a shortage of Priests at the moment so even if for some random horrible reason they would try and make it harder for you because of your ethnicity or gender, they can hardly stop you, especially with God behind you :biggrin:.
Civil Service is a great job, but it's important to do something you enjoy!
Great to see someone else with the same feeling about the "never growing old" feeling! Hoping It wasn't just me!

I guess for me it’s more about the lack of representation that makes me nervous but as you said with God on my side everything that will be will be. Plus I’m non-denominational so I’d be a pastor and there are loadssss. Have you started your personal statement?
Reply 16
I guess for me it’s more about the lack of representation that makes me nervous but as you said with God on my side everything that will be will be. Plus I’m non-denominational so I’d be a pastor and there are loadssss. Have you started your personal statement?

Yeah I have but it's for PPE :s-smilie:, I'm gonna need to re-do it somehow if I go through with Theology for uni which its looking like I will now...
Reply 17
Original post by ~David~
Yeah I have but it's for PPE :s-smilie:, I'm gonna need to re-do it somehow if I go through with Theology for uni which its looking like I will now...

It’s gonna be a lot of work to rewrite and it might seem long but if you really wanna do it you’ll be grateful in the long run. :smile:
I did my undergrad and one postgrad in theology.
Good luck to everyone who is applying for entry in 2021 or 2022!
Reply 19
It’s gonna be a lot of work to rewrite and it might seem long but if you really wanna do it you’ll be grateful in the long run. :smile:

True, thank you :smile:

What have you written about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending