The Student Room Group

PGCE interview questions which are idiotic but you have to answer

You out there. Although they are totally irrelevant, they are asking what kind of games you use in the MFL classroom (for secondary school, yes). Was going to suggest Michael Haneke's Funny Games, but no - they don't even accept "activities". So for the geniuses out there, and the slackers-teachers, think of a game in MFL that you would use with strapping 16 year olds. That's why this country has the teachers it deserves.

Scroll to see replies

As a teacher (theatre arts at FE and HE) Id say these are things I would use as games or activities:

Kahoot! is a fun quiz site used in all classrooms.

EveryPoll

Charades (french words films culture etc).

You could do like a blankety blank style game? Fill in the blanks to a sentence most wins a prize.

What about a where’s Waldo game where you put up a picture like Pictionary and give the word in French they have to find the object or item.

Word searches? (Give word in English then ask for french translation to find).

Music translations in french (popular songs like a karaoke game).
Reply 2
Original post by ClaudiaVan
As a teacher (theatre arts at FE and HE) Id say these are things I would use as games or activities:

Kahoot! is a fun quiz site used in all classrooms.

EveryPoll

Charades (french words films culture etc).

You could do like a blankety blank style game? Fill in the blanks to a sentence most wins a prize.

What about a where’s Waldo game where you put up a picture like Pictionary and give the word in French they have to find the object or item.

Word searches? (Give word in English then ask for french translation to find).

Music translations in french (popular songs like a karaoke game).

The idea of spending useful class or tutoring time doing this makes me vomit. I hate games myself, and while I'd use the last two (translation of music, or word searches) the cow who interviewed me would have argued that they are activities, and not games.

Also I was not born here (thank god) and Blankety Blank means nothing to me. Who the heck is Waldo.

No doubt this is happening in secondary schools here - a good red alert to have a list of schools where this takes place and report the teachers for being slackers.
Reply 3
Original post by Voxdei
The idea of spending useful class or tutoring time doing this makes me vomit. I hate games myself, and while I'd use the last two (translation of music, or word searches) the cow who interviewed me would have argued that they are activities, and not games.

Also I was not born here (thank god) and Blankety Blank means nothing to me. Who the heck is Waldo.

No doubt this is happening in secondary schools here - a good red alert to have a list of schools where this takes place and report the teachers for being slackers.

If our y11 French teacher had done 'games' with us, she'd have been laughed out the room :lol:
The 'safeguarding question' is essentially idiotic, because literally everyone knows the answer to it. There isn't a single person attending a PGCE interview who hasn't autonomically barked out 'TELL THE SENIOR DESIGNATED PERSON' in response to the question. So what, really, is the point of it?
Much of the time games are used at the beginning of a class as an ice breaker or to grab students attention. It also promotes teamwork, listening and good communication skills amongst students all of which are relevant outside of the curriculum content as life skills.
I think it’s abit harsh to say that all teachers who use games are slackers-

Simply they are differentiation strategies to help each learner get the most out of their studies as we all learn in diferrent ways.

Good luck in your future!
A lot of questions they ask as more common sense rather than to test your wits.
Just like learning to drive there are certain things you just HAVE to know.
Original post by Voxdei

If this is how you feel, then I'd suggest that teaching in the UK probably isn't for you.

Nobody is saying that you have to use games all the time, but something like a kahoot or key word bingo can be really engaging for the kids, and a good way of testing knowledge in the last 5 minutes of the lesson. I often use competitive quizzes in class as well- you'll find a lot of kids who normally wouldn't put their hands up will if there is a prize at stake.

A lot of games used in the classroom also provide you with AfL or low stakes testing- which is only really useful if the kids participate. A lot of students won't show what they know if you just ask 5 questions as a plenary (due to lack of engagement, anxiety etc) but if you make it fun or introduce a small prize, they will engage and you can gauge their understanding.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If this is how you feel, then I'd suggest that teaching in the UK probably isn't for you.

Nobody is saying that you have to use games all the time, but something like a kahoot or key word bingo can be really engaging for the kids, and a good way of testing knowledge in the last 5 minutes of the lesson. I often use competitive quizzes in class as well- you'll find a lot of kids who normally wouldn't put their hands up will if there is a prize at stake.

A lot of games used in the classroom also provide you with AfL or low stakes testing- which is only really useful if the kids participate. A lot of students won't show what they know if you just ask 5 questions as a plenary (due to lack of engagement, anxiety etc) but if you make it fun or introduce a small prize, they will engage and you can gauge their understanding.

This reiterated my point exactly :smile:

School isn’t just about the subject it’s about the engagement and understanding
Original post by Reality Check
The 'safeguarding question' is essentially idiotic, because literally everyone knows the answer to it. There isn't a single person attending a PGCE interview who hasn't autonomically barked out 'TELL THE SENIOR DESIGNATED PERSON' in response to the question. So what, really, is the point of it?

I do agree it's sort of pointless, and as far as I know all ITT courses give safeguarding training before you get into the classroom too. I like it better than when you make up a weird scenario for the safeguarding question, even when the answer is pretty much always going to be the same.

Original post by gjd800
If our y11 French teacher had done 'games' with us, she'd have been laughed out the room :lol:

Really? My Y11s love a kahoot every so often- but maybe it's different in science.

Original post by ClaudiaVan
This reiterated my point exactly :smile:

School isn’t just about the subject it’s about the engagement and understanding

Yeah, completely. PRSOM.
Reply 10
Really? My Y11s love a kahoot every so often- but maybe it's different in science.

Yeah, completely. PRSOM.

Oh it would have got the same response in science: 'no'

It was a tough school in many ways, I don't envy them :lol:
Reply 11

One of mine asked 'would you break a child's trust if they told you about something at home which concerned you?'

I dunno who is answering 'no' to that!
Original post by gjd800
One of mine asked 'would you break a child's trust if they told you about something at home which concerned you?'

I dunno who is answering 'no' to that!

Well exactly! And if someone even hesitated over such a clear question and thought 'hmm, should I just keep quiet about it' then you'd wonder what the **** was going on inside their head.
Reply 13
Well exactly! And if someone even hesitated over such a clear question and thought 'hmm, should I just keep quiet about it' then you'd wonder what the **** was going on inside their head.

I think my face might have betrayed my incredulity because they apologised for asking it :lol:
Original post by gjd800
Oh it would have got the same response in science: 'no'

It was a tough school in many ways, I don't envy them :lol:

Ah, fair.

I mean, obviously there are different things that will work in different schools- but I do think it's worth at least considering a range of tools? And I don't think it's a ridiculous question to ask at interview?

To be fair you do get idiots in all walks of life, though, so it does at least filter them out at an early stage?
To be fair you do get idiots in all walks of life, though, so it does at least filter them out at an early stage?

:laugh: good point, well made. Perhaps it's the first question they should ask, in order to save wasting everyone's time.

The idea of using this question again and again is so that it becomes so blatantly obvious that everyone adopts it naturally in practice. As it is, without doubt, the most important duty an adult has when working with children. If literally everyone knows the answer then the question has done its job. If we removed the question now, the importance of it would drop. Additionally, when Ofsted judge the school's effectiveness in safeguarding during an inspection, they look into the school's recruitment policy. They will look into how, as an SLT, we safeguard children through a safe recruitment process. Therefore, schools essentially have to ask this question at interview or face being judged as inadequate.

Original post by Voxdei

Sounds like you have a lot to learn about teaching. You need to gain a better understanding of 'useful class time'. It certainly seems like they have a great interview process and it is doing its job.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Ah, fair.

I mean, obviously there are different things that will work in different schools- but I do think it's worth at least considering a range of tools? And I don't think it's a ridiculous question to ask at interview?

Oh of course, it just made me laugh because it reminded me of how grim our school was and disinterested even us 'clever' ones largely were, ha

They didn't ask me that one. :colondollar:
Original post by gjd800
Oh of course, it just made me laugh because it reminded me of how grim our school was and disinterested even us 'clever' ones largely were, ha

No that's fair! I'm sure there are schools where it woudn't work- but I think maybe they are the exception rather than the norm?

Original post by 04MR17
They didn't ask me that one. :colondollar:

You must've been asked some kind of safeguarding question- it might not be those exact words, but if they didn't then as @bwilliams said, that's a pretty serious oversight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending