The Student Room Group

Law with Spanish Law at King's

Hello my school is beginning the process for UCAS applications next year and I'm looking into courses to apply for, drafting a personal statement etc.

I'm interested in studying Law with Spanish Language or Spanish Law and the course at King's really appeals to me because it's dual qualifying and I get to study for 2 years in Barcelona.

However, the information on their website is kinda lacking (I'm assuming it's because the course is ran by 2 unis) and as it's a relatively new course there's nothing on TSR or online about the course.

So (sorry this is getting long) has anyone here studied the course or King's Law with French/German law and could give me a bit of an insight or answer some of my questions. Information about Law with Spanish (language or law) at other universities would also be appreciated :smile:
It will help the people seeing this post if you state the questions as they know what they can and can't answer. What are your questions?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
It will help the people seeing this post if you state the questions as they know what they can and can't answer. What are your questions?

Ok pretty much I'm just interested in how the languages are taught as part of the degree, how much support you get during the 2 years you are in Europe and what the overall student experience is like.
Original post by aarondc249
Ok pretty much I'm just interested in how the languages are taught as part of the degree, how much support you get during the 2 years you are in Europe and what the overall student experience is like.

If it's English Law and Spanish Law at KCL, you will be taught Spanish Law not Spanish the language itself so you will need to have A level Spanish. You can look at @CatusStarbright Studying Law at university thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6453284 and you could ask them any questions as they did English Law with French Law :h:
Reply 4
If it's English Law and Spanish Law at KCL, you will be taught Spanish Law not Spanish the language itself so you will need to have A level Spanish. You can look at @CatusStarbright Studying Law at university thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6453284 and you could ask them any questions as they did English Law with French Law :h:

Oh I know that it's Spanish Law rather than language but I believe there's some classes in legal Spanish language and some oral classes rather than UCL's Spanish Law degree which expects you to maintain your Spanish yourself. I just wanted to know how many of those there was a week. I'll check the thread out thanks!
Oh I know that it's Spanish Law rather than language but I believe there's some classes in legal Spanish language and some oral classes rather than UCL's Spanish Law degree which expects you to maintain your Spanish yourself. I just wanted to know how many of those there was a week. I'll check the thread out thanks!

Maybe contact the university for more clarification in this aspect if they are vague about it?
Reply 6
Maybe contact the university for more clarification in this aspect if they are vague about it?

Yeah I think I'm going to have to email admissions or something just didn't want to as I assume they're busy at this time of the year and then there is corona on top of it.
Reply 7
Hi! I am a current law student at King's on the English & Spanish Law course.

To answer some of your concerns:

Depending on whether you are a Spanish native, you will receive Spanish language classes (if you wish to do so); you will have two hours each week and they will essentially be pure language classes without any specific focus on law vocabulary; although our teacher this year has always been very open to topic suggestions - so you can tailor this course to your specific needs (and those of your other colleagues). We are only three non-native Spanish speakers on this year's course, which means that we had very small class sizes and made for great discussions; although I believe that the following academic year, it will be a bit more balanced, there being more British students.

You will additionally have a two-hour seminar each week during your first two years at King's, which will be conducted in Spanish and provides an introduction to the Spanish legal system. Therefore, you will already need to be proficient in Spanish before you come here, although it need not be perfect!

Overall, I love studying at King's. I think it provides a great basis for you to excel in your studies, and provides lots of opportunities to participate in extra-curriculars and enhance your employability. Lecturers and tutors have been great and always happy to help; especially on the Spanish law course you will have the advantage of forming part of the bigger cohort of law students, but also of the smaller "Spanish Law Students' cohort"; it means that you will have three tutors, which are involved in this specific course and which you can always approach and ask questions; it also means that you will have people you know from the very beginning, which might make freshers-week a bit less nerve-racking! :smile:

I hope that this helped; if you have any further questions, just contact me via the private chat and you can ask me anything you would like to know!
Reply 8
Original post by Le4444

Depending on whether you are a Spanish native, you will receive Spanish language classes (if you wish to do so); you will have two hours each week and they will essentially be pure language classes without any specific focus on law vocabulary; although our teacher this year has always been very open to topic suggestions - so you can tailor this course to your specific needs (and those of your other colleagues). We are only three non-native Spanish speakers on this year's course, which means that we had very small class sizes and made for great discussions; although I believe that the following academic year, it will be a bit more balanced, there being more British students.

You will additionally have a two-hour seminar each week during your first two years at King's, which will be conducted in Spanish and provides an introduction to the Spanish legal system. Therefore, you will already need to be proficient in Spanish before you come here, although it need not be perfect!

Overall, I love studying at King's. I think it provides a great basis for you to excel in your studies, and provides lots of opportunities to participate in extra-curriculars and enhance your employability. Lecturers and tutors have been great and always happy to help; especially on the Spanish law course you will have the advantage of forming part of the bigger cohort of law students, but also of the smaller "Spanish Law Students' cohort"; it means that you will have three tutors, which are involved in this specific course and which you can always approach and ask questions; it also means that you will have people you know from the very beginning, which might make freshers-week a bit less nerve-racking! :smile:

I hope that this helped; if you have any further questions, just contact me via the private chat and you can ask me anything you would like to know!

This is great thank you so much!! I'm not sure if you've gone abroad yet but in terms of support from Pompeu Fabra, what does that look like? I'm a bit apprehensive about studying abroad for two years and was just wondering if you'd have something similar to a personal tutor over there or are you in regular contact with King's for example whilst over there?

How do you find the workload studying both Law and Spanish as well? I've read that law can be difficult enough to manage with all the reading etc. so do you find it hard to study law whilst also maintaining your Spanish?

I'm from Northern Ireland so I'd be going from a country with a population of around 1.8 million to London with its population of 7 million! This is really exciting for me but I'm just wondering how you manage finances and the cost of accomodation (I'm not sure what your situation is like) and what student life at King's is like?

Also in terms of careers, do you plan to practice in Spain or return to the UK? I'm kind of open to both at the moment but I'm just curious as to how King's supports you with all of that.

What did you write about on your personal statement as well to show your interest in both common law and civil law/ the Spanish legal system?

I hope those aren't too many questions but its just I haven't been able to find a lot of info about the course other than what is on the uni's website. Thank you so much for all the help :smile:
Reply 9
This is great thank you so much!! I'm not sure if you've gone abroad yet but in terms of support from Pompeu Fabra, what does that look like? I'm a bit apprehensive about studying abroad for two years and was just wondering if you'd have something similar to a personal tutor over there or are you in regular contact with King's for example whilst over there?

How do you find the workload studying both Law and Spanish as well? I've read that law can be difficult enough to manage with all the reading etc. so do you find it hard to study law whilst also maintaining your Spanish?

I'm from Northern Ireland so I'd be going from a country with a population of around 1.8 million to London with its population of 7 million! This is really exciting for me but I'm just wondering how you manage finances and the cost of accomodation (I'm not sure what your situation is like) and what student life at King's is like?

Also in terms of careers, do you plan to practice in Spain or return to the UK? I'm kind of open to both at the moment but I'm just curious as to how King's supports you with all of that.

What did you write about on your personal statement as well to show your interest in both common law and civil law/ the Spanish legal system?

I hope those aren't too many questions but its just I haven't been able to find a lot of info about the course other than what is on the uni's website. Thank you so much for all the help :smile:

We are the first year of the course; therefore, everything is quite novel and I can't tell you yet about how classes will be conducted in Spain. I am sure you will always be able to contact somebody from KCL if you have any concerns (Robert Wintemute is responsible for the course, and he is great!). But I am also sure that there will be people in Barcelona who will support you in your studies. What I know is that we will probably be taught with another quite competitive course at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra - the Law & Economics course - in order to uphold a high academic standard.

The workload is quite heavy, although I think one gets used to it quickly; however, for us it is a bit heavier than the normal law course, given the Spanish language and law classes. I did not spend too much time on the former (although I should probably do so next year...), but the latter is quite heavy workload: you can expect an additional 4-6 hours a week (including the 2-hour seminars); nevertheless, you will not have to take a "proper" exam at the end of your first two years which alleviates the pressure from that module. More generally, I do not think that the law course in itself will be too much work; it is rather the fact that you are expected to participate in a number of extra-curriculars to enhance your CV; however, these should ultimately interest you - so you can see them as "hobbies" rather than work (I participated in a lot of moot court competitions - which I would wholeheartedly recommend!! :smile:).

I finance my studies with a tuition fee loan, but pay the accommodation "myself" (mainly parents' income, but I contribute by working during the summer holidays). Accommodation is very expensive in London; and I think King's is one of the more expensive universities (with regards to accommodation) in London! The cheapest accommodation provided by King's is Wolfson House, where you will still end up paying 6000 pounds a year. There is also 'University of London' accommodation, which tends to be a bit cheaper but catered. And there is always the option to share rooms...

Student life at King's is certainly diverse. This really surprised me when I got here, but the majority of law students (or probably the student body in general) does not come from the UK. I absolutely love this, because you can learn a lot from a diverse group of people. One thing that King's does not have, is this "community feel" you would probably get at a campus university; it is just that you are in the middle of London and King's has four different campuses. There are still a lot of societies where you will be able to meet new people and pursue whatever hobby you may have. And concerning fun nights out, I am probably not the "right" person to ask as I have not been going out too much during the year; what you have to bear in mind though is that London is very expensive and the same applies to clubs in London. However, there are many great bars where you can drink beer for reasonable prices, and there is always the option to just meet with people in somebody's flat (if Covid-19 permits).

I do not yet hold any clear career plans; a lot of it will depend on how well I eventually do in my exams and what options are open to me. Given my participation in mooting, I am considering a career at the British Bar, but I would equally like to go into academia... King's certainly provides a great basis for any career you might end up wanting to practice. There are lots of career fairs, which allow you to network with law firms and chambers. One very special thing of the Spanish law course is also that for four or five weeks (from February to March of your first year), there will be partners from big Spanish law firms (such as Garrigues, etc.) coming to King's to present their firm, and network with us; this is only available to our small cohort! Further, from what I have heard, there will be opportunities to carry out an internship during your third and fourth academic year in Barcelona.

I can't tell you too much regarding the personal statement question as I already applied in late September to a number of British universities, and at that time the Spanish law course had not yet actually been publicised; I only later changed my choice from the normal LLB to the Spanish Law LLB.

I hope that helped!
Original post by Le4444
We are the first year of the course; therefore, everything is quite novel and I can't tell you yet about how classes will be conducted in Spain. I am sure you will always be able to contact somebody from KCL if you have any concerns (Robert Wintemute is responsible for the course, and he is great!). But I am also sure that there will be people in Barcelona who will support you in your studies. What I know is that we will probably be taught with another quite competitive course at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra - the Law & Economics course - in order to uphold a high academic standard.

The workload is quite heavy, although I think one gets used to it quickly; however, for us it is a bit heavier than the normal law course, given the Spanish language and law classes. I did not spend too much time on the former (although I should probably do so next year...), but the latter is quite heavy workload: you can expect an additional 4-6 hours a week (including the 2-hour seminars); nevertheless, you will not have to take a "proper" exam at the end of your first two years which alleviates the pressure from that module. More generally, I do not think that the law course in itself will be too much work; it is rather the fact that you are expected to participate in a number of extra-curriculars to enhance your CV; however, these should ultimately interest you - so you can see them as "hobbies" rather than work (I participated in a lot of moot court competitions - which I would wholeheartedly recommend!! :smile:).

I finance my studies with a tuition fee loan, but pay the accommodation "myself" (mainly parents' income, but I contribute by working during the summer holidays). Accommodation is very expensive in London; and I think King's is one of the more expensive universities (with regards to accommodation) in London! The cheapest accommodation provided by King's is Wolfson House, where you will still end up paying 6000 pounds a year. There is also 'University of London' accommodation, which tends to be a bit cheaper but catered. And there is always the option to share rooms...

Student life at King's is certainly diverse. This really surprised me when I got here, but the majority of law students (or probably the student body in general) does not come from the UK. I absolutely love this, because you can learn a lot from a diverse group of people. One thing that King's does not have, is this "community feel" you would probably get at a campus university; it is just that you are in the middle of London and King's has four different campuses. There are still a lot of societies where you will be able to meet new people and pursue whatever hobby you may have. And concerning fun nights out, I am probably not the "right" person to ask as I have not been going out too much during the year; what you have to bear in mind though is that London is very expensive and the same applies to clubs in London. However, there are many great bars where you can drink beer for reasonable prices, and there is always the option to just meet with people in somebody's flat (if Covid-19 permits).

I do not yet hold any clear career plans; a lot of it will depend on how well I eventually do in my exams and what options are open to me. Given my participation in mooting, I am considering a career at the British Bar, but I would equally like to go into academia... King's certainly provides a great basis for any career you might end up wanting to practice. There are lots of career fairs, which allow you to network with law firms and chambers. One very special thing of the Spanish law course is also that for four or five weeks (from February to March of your first year), there will be partners from big Spanish law firms (such as Garrigues, etc.) coming to King's to present their firm, and network with us; this is only available to our small cohort! Further, from what I have heard, there will be opportunities to carry out an internship during your third and fourth academic year in Barcelona.

I can't tell you too much regarding the personal statement question as I already applied in late September to a number of British universities, and at that time the Spanish law course had not yet actually been publicised; I only later changed my choice from the normal LLB to the Spanish Law LLB.

I hope that helped!

Thank you so much for your reply. This has given me a great insight into the course and it sounds really exciting so cheers!
Original post by Le4444

Hi, I really wanna do this course and KCL is my dream university. I have a few questions so if you see this please reply :smile:
Hello, I have just received an offer from King's college to study english law and spanish law and I'm not quite sure about how is the every-day life of the student at kings. How many people are there in each class and how good are the professors?
Original post by Le4444

Hello Luca,
I received your private message but can't answer you because I am new in this forum and I'm not allowed to do so. Could you send me a private message with your email or instagram so that I could ask you about the course you are studying?
Thank you
Reply 14
Original post by tristan.dorda
Hello Luca,
I received your private message but can't answer you because I am new in this forum and I'm not allowed to do so. Could you send me a private message with your email or instagram so that I could ask you about the course you are studying?
Thank you

Hello Tristan,
I am also applying to this programme and would like to know whether or not you ended up getting accepted into KCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending