The Student Room Group

a levels

if i originally plan to do 4 a levels, can I still drop one for an AS level qualification ay the end of year 12 instead and then do EPQ in year 13 so that the 2 AS levels make up 1 a level?
Original post by ZedTV
if i originally plan to do 4 a levels, can I still drop one for an AS level qualification ay the end of year 12 instead and then do EPQ in year 13 so that the 2 AS levels make up 1 a level?

Moved to the A Levels forum :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Moved to the A Levels forum :smile:

oh ok. whoops. sorry, I couldn't find a levels in the option for forums when posting :frown:
Original post by ZedTV
oh ok. whoops. sorry, I couldn't find a levels in the option for forums when posting :frown:

It's fine - there are a lot of forums to look through the list
Reply 4
Qualifications don't add up. At the end of Year 13, you'd end up with 3 A-Levels, 1 AS Level and an EPQ. AS Levels are now an independent qualification, so (unless you're taking international A-Levels, I believe) they no longer make up half of an A-Level. An EPQ is also not an AS qualification, and is only 'half of an A-Level' in the sense that they're worth half the UCAS tariff points.
Reply 5
Original post by nzy
Qualifications don't add up. At the end of Year 13, you'd end up with 3 A-Levels, 1 AS Level and an EPQ. AS Levels are now an independent qualification, so (unless you're taking international A-Levels, I believe) they no longer make up half of an A-Level. An EPQ is also not an AS qualification, and is only 'half of an A-Level' in the sense that they're worth half the UCAS tariff points.

would you say its sensible choice though for applying to oxbridge???
Reply 6
Original post by ZedTV

Yeah i’m doin that.

For Year 12 I did Bio, Chem, Maths and Computer Science AS

I’m dropping Computer Science so I have just the AS qualification for the subject, and I’m doing the EPQ in year 13 along with Bio, Chem and Maths at A2.

I’m not considering my EPQ and AS as 1 ‘A level’ equivalent qualification though. I’m doing the EPQ out of pure interest.

NOTE: I am also applying to oxbridge :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by dxnixl
Yeah i’m doin that.

I’m dropping Computer Science so I have just the AS qualification for the subject, and I’m doing the EPQ in year 13 along with Bio, Chem and Maths at A2.

I’m not considering my EPQ and AS as 1 ‘A level’ equivalent qualification though. I’m doing the EPQ out of pure interest.

wow!!!! that's reassured me sooo much!!! thank you for speaking out to me and helping me out. how did you find year 1, was it stressful? and do you know if you managed workload and grades???
Reply 8
Original post by dxnixl
Yeah i’m doin that.

btw, I plan to do biology, maths, sociology and RS and I might drop RS or sociology and do EPQ in year 2 :smile:)))
Reply 9
Original post by ZedTV
wow!!!! that's reassured me sooo much!!! thank you for speaking out to me and helping me out. how did you find year 1, was it stressful? and do you know if you managed workload and grades???

Alright,

1) It wasn’t TOO stressful for me but that’s based on how proactive you are. It’s definitely harder than 3 AS levels.
2) I spent a lot of time studying. At the beginning of the year i got D’s and C’s. In my mocks i got AABB. Now i’m looking towards AAAA. Again this is completely based on how proactive you are! I can’t stress this enough. You need to be determined.

I’d just like to note, it would be MUCH better doing 3 AS levels with the EPQ in the first year. If i could go back in time, I would. Doing a 4th AS is useless. But that’s my personal opinion. I’m more worried about second year to be completely honest. 3 A2 subjects with the EPQ is demanding.

Any questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by dxnixl
Alright,

1) It wasn’t TOO stressful for me but that’s based on how proactive you are. It’s definitely harder than 3 AS levels.
2) I spent a lot of time studying. At the beginning of the year i got D’s and C’s. In my mocks i got AABB. Now i’m looking towards AAAA. Again this is completely based on how proactive you are! I can’t stress this enough. You need to be determined.

I’d just like to note, it would be MUCH better doing 3 AS levels with the EPQ in the first year. If i could go back in time, I would. Doing a 4th AS is useless. But that’s my personal opinion. I’m more worried about second year to be completely honest. 3 A2 subjects with the EPQ is demanding.

Any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

could I do 4 a levels, then see how my AS results come and let's say I get a ACCC, the subject I get an A in can I drop that whatever it is and keep that A and then change those Cs into As or A*s in year 2?
Reply 11
Original post by ZedTV
could I do 4 a levels, then see how my AS results come and let's say I get a ACCC, the subject I get an A in can I drop that whatever it is and keep that A and then change those Cs into As or A*s in year 2?

AS and A2 are separate qualifications, just like GCSE and AS are different qualifications. Once you achieve your AS grades, they cannot be changed. They are permanent, and will be visible to the universities you apply to. So say, Cambridge, will see that you achieve ACCC- you know that’s not a good thing.

Secondly, it’s likely your UCAS grades will be based off your AS results. If you got ACCC, and your dropping the subject with A in, you’ll most likely be predicted BBB. Again, this is sent to universities, and it doesn’t look good.

Even if you get A*A*A* for A2, you won’t get the offer to study at oxbridge in the first place.
Reply 12
Original post by dxnixl
AS and A2 are separate qualifications, just like GCSE and AS are different qualifications. Once you achieve your AS grades, they cannot be changed. They are permanent, and will be visible to the universities you apply to. So say, Cambridge, will see that you achieve ACCC- you know that’s not a good thing.

Secondly, it’s likely your UCAS grades will be based off your AS results. If you got ACCC, and your dropping the subject with A in, you’ll most likely be predicted BBB. Again, this is sent to universities, and it doesn’t look good.

Even if you get A*A*A* for A2, you won’t get the offer to study at oxbridge in the first place.

ok thanks! but when do you.choose which subject to drop. is it early year 12, or once you know which AS results you get?
Reply 13
Original post by ZedTV
ok thanks! but when do you.choose which subject to drop. is it early year 12, or once you know which AS results you get?

You choose after you get your results in august.
My school in particular, forces us to choose the 3 AS levels we do best in - which makes complete sense. Your school may do the same OR very much encourage you to do the subject you got an A in at A2.

Don’t get ACCC at AS level btw. If you are doing AS, aim for higher grades. Oxbridge applicants get straight A’s. Keep that in mind.
Original post by ZedTV

Are you sure that your school does AS exams still? Not many schools do any more :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by laurawatt
Are you sure that your school does AS exams still? Not many schools do any more :smile:

yeah they do across all subjects :smile:
Original post by ZedTV
yeah they do across all subjects :smile:

Oh that’s good!

Quick Reply

Latest