The Student Room Group

Opinions on Chromebooks

I won't need to use the storage on a chromebook as I have onedrive storage.

Only need a laptop to check office 365 emails, access onedrive storage, to write essays on word (and save them into onedrive), to research/google stuff and watch youtube.

Do you think a chromebook would be good for what I would use a laptop for?

Also, do you have to set up a google account for a chromebook or can you just use it as a guest?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Although the functionality you need is there I found a Chromebook very annoying to use. Mind you they may have come on since then. I would much prefer a laptop with its own software.
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
Although the functionality you need is there I found a Chromebook very annoying to use. Mind you they may have come on since then. I would much prefer a laptop with its own software.

My sixth form had chromebooks so I am used to using them. Annoying thing is that they don't have a caps lock button but you can go into settings and change the search button to a caps lock button.

I was wonderng if a I could use a chromebook to google stuff, watch youtube, check emails etc without having t o set up a google account? Can I just set up a chromebook as a guest and still be able to get on the internet or would I have to set up a google account in order to use chrome
Reply 3
Yes, it would work for what you need. Personally I love Chromebooks ( Im using one right now ). They're quite light compared to a laptop, they're relatively cheap, and Ive dropped mine multiple times and its still running.

Im pretty sure you have to make a Google account to even log onto the computer, but thats free and easy to do.
Reply 4
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Yes, it would work for what you need. Personally I love Chromebooks ( Im using one right now ). They're quite light compared to a laptop, they're relatively cheap, and Ive dropped mine multiple times and its still running.

Im pretty sure you have to make a Google account to even log onto the computer, but thats free and easy to do.

Oh, ok thx you. I was hoping I wouldn't have to set an account up. Thought I could just login as a guest.
Reply 5
How do you find the quality of the speakers and microphone and webcam?
Reply 6
Original post by Joy L
Oh, ok thx you. I was hoping I wouldn't have to set an account up. Thought I could just login as a guest.

Why dont you want to set up an account?
Reply 7
Because i really only need it to access emails etc for office 365 and onedrive storage so therefore I don't want to complicate things by throwing a gmail into the mix. Its just for uni, so would like to keep just my office365 email on the device via chrome search
Reply 8
How do you find the quality of the speakers and microphone and webcam?

Many of my lectures in the first semester will be on zoom so was wondering what the above features are like
(edited 3 years ago)
Brand new Chromebooks make no sense when for the same price or less money you can have a £230ish used Dell Latitude E7470 off ebay. IE a premium business laptop that will run Windows 10 Pro or Linux as well as all your applications very nicely indeed.

BTW, get a headset for video conferencing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending