The Student Room Group

clothes wise: who has more options men or women

I think its quite unfair that it is acceptable for women to wear clothes that used to be considered for boys ect trousers but men cant wear things like dresses and skirts.

But what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

I absolutely agree, anyone should be able to wear whatever they want, regardless of their gender identity. Its kinda rediculous how much society as a whole shuns people expressing themselves how they want, and/or feels most comfortable.
Reply 2
EXACTLY, I am a girl and hate wearing dresses and skirts all the time for example, but everyone says that that is unladylike and I tell them that if you want to wear them, that’s great. But your body isn’t mine 😊 Don’t worry, gender doesn’t matter, wear what you want 😋
Probably women, but that's only an opinion.
Reply 4
Last time I went to the local branch of Primark it had 5 floor of female stuff and a half of a basement floor for guys (shared with towels)...
Reply 5
Original post by nikkiblonsky
I think its quite unfair that it is acceptable for women to wear clothes that used to be considered for boys ect trousers but men cant wear things like dresses and skirts.

But what do you think?

well, women were not allowed to wear trousers in the past either. but some rebelled against that, protested etc. despite being ridiculed. it's not illegal for men to wear dresses and skirts - if you want to wear dressers do it, challenge the society's standards if you have the guts to, lol
Women, today have a lot more clothing choices then men.
Socially, outside of perhaps LGBTQ+ bars & some university societies & some metropolitan parts of big cities like London, it isn't socially acceptable for men to wear 'womens' garments.
Where as, as a woman I can freely wear alot of 'mens' clothes, it's considered cute to wear mens tops/ shirts. Less women wear mens trousers, but thats mainly a sizing issue.
Original post by Ciel.
well, women were not allowed to wear trousers in the past either. but some rebelled against that, protested etc. despite being ridiculed. it's not illegal for men to wear dresses and skirts - if you want to wear dressers do it, challenge the society's standards if you have the guts to, lol

There is nothing wrong with being trans, just like there is nothing wrong with being cisgender, we're all different.
Totally agree!

Personally I don’t care what people wear! I think everyone should be able to be who they want and let their clothes reflect that. If boys want to wear skirts and dresses, why not? And if girls want to wear trousers, let them! I don’t get the problem haha :smile:

But yeah I feel like women definitely have more clothing options than men. Which is a bit annoying for men ahah :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by PurpleRain78
There is nothing wrong with being trans, just like there is nothing wrong with being cisgender, we're all different.

wtf are you on about?
Original post by Ciel.
wtf are you on about?

I'm basically agreeing with you.
Women have more options and are often willing to pay a lot more for luxury labels than guys.
But then a woman's choice of attire is more likely to be verbally criticised by other people, used as a possible means of classifying her as a type in terms of either looks/personality/ambitions and much more scrutinised within a professional context than the average male.
Reply 12
I'm basically agreeing with you.

i'm not talking about trans women tho. i'm talking about cis men who are into dresses
Original post by Ciel.
i'm not talking about trans women tho. i'm talking about cis men who are into dresses

there’s nothing wrong with cis men wearing dresses. i think that’s what the person is trying to say haha :smile:
Original post by Ciel.

Yes, I know. There is nothing wrong with that.
Reply 15
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
there’s nothing wrong with cis men wearing dresses. i think that’s what the person is trying to say haha :smile:

yeah, maybe, lol. my mind feels a bit hazy today tbh
Yes, I know. There is nothing wrong with that.

agreed, lol. in all honestly, i don't understand people's obsession with gender/clothes. like, dress-like clothes were okay in ancient greece, and so was homosexuality. what went wrong
Original post by Ciel.
yeah, maybe, lol. my mind feels a bit hazy today tbh

agreed, lol. in all honestly, i don't understand people's obsession with gender/clothes. like, dress-like clothes were okay in ancient greece, and so was homosexuality. what went wrong

Everything goes wrong with time and then corrects itself. Dresses were made for both men and women, I fail to see why people must be so old fashioned and transphobic, it is ridiculous. Just take Scottish men for example, they wear dresses (kilts).
Reply 17
Everything goes wrong with time and then corrects itself. Dresses were made for both men and women, I fail to see why people must be so old fashioned and transphobic, it is ridiculous. Just take Scottish men for example, they wear dresses (kilts).

lmao yeah, how come everyones okay with it but god forbid a dude buys a dress in river island smh
Original post by Ciel.
lmao yeah, how come everyones okay with it but god forbid a dude buys a dress in river island smh

Just the way of life I suppose, some people are too judgmental. I tend to think that if no one has a problem with me, I won't have a problem with them. If a guy wants to buy or try on a dress in a shop, then that's perfectly fine.
Reply 19
Just the way of life I suppose, some people are too judgmental. I tend to think that if no one has a problem with me, I won't have a problem with them. If a guy wants to buy or try on a dress in a shop, then that's perfectly fine.

it's the same with colours... pink actually used to be considered 'masculine'. because it's like a pale red... like war. and blood. and guts...

Quick Reply

Latest