The Student Room Group

Is Art A Level worth it?

If i want to get into Oxbridge, will Art decrease my chances of getting in? My friend said "they only care about the grades you get so u'll be fine" but im not sure. I did it for GCSE and i didnt find it that stressful but a bit time consuming. Im predicted a 9 (because im pretty good at the whole drawing biz) but in my mocks i got a 7 and a 5 due to: "It doesnt make any sense". Apparently i am bad at planning and explaining my process :/
Reply 1
20200731_171705.jpg
Drawing i did for a biology competition a couple of days ago15964837497013600940550504147333.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
I would think it would depend on what subject you were applying for and what your other A levels are. If it's backed up by one or two other 'academic' subjects it should be fine, especially if you enjoy it and will do well in it (which I'm guessing you would as that drawing is insanely good, you must be really talented :biggrin:)
Omg that drawing is so good! If I were you I'd email Oxbridge and see what they say, that way you'll be certain on whether it will stop you from getting in. Like the person above said, it depends what subjects you plan on doing w it too
Reply 4
Original post by ch3265
I would think it would depend on what subject you were applying for and what your other A levels are. If it's backed up by one or two other 'academic' subjects it should be fine, especially if you enjoy it and will do well in it (which I'm guessing you would as that drawing is insanely good, you must be really talented :biggrin:)

Tysm! <3 I chose English and Psychology as my other two
Reply 5
Original post by H4ttie03
Omg that drawing is so good! If I were you I'd email Oxbridge and see what they say, that way you'll be certain on whether it will stop you from getting in. Like the person above said, it depends what subjects you plan on doing w it too

Thank you! Thats a really good idea, I'll do that
Reply 6
Original post by REDDINGZ
Tysm! <3 I chose English and Psychology as my other two

They're both academic subjects, especially English, so if you enjoy art and think you would do well in it I'd definitely say go for it!
If i want to get into Oxbridge, will Art decrease my chances of getting in? My friend said "they only care about the grades you get so u'll be fine" but im not sure. I did it for GCSE and i didnt find it that stressful but a bit time consuming. Im predicted a 9 (because im pretty good at the whole drawing biz) but in my mocks i got a 7 and a 5 due to: "It doesnt make any sense". Apparently i am bad at planning and explaining my process :/

Hi!

What course do you want to study at university? Art will definitely not hinder your chances anyway but you will definitely need to work on the writing part!
Reply 8
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi!

What course do you want to study at university? Art will definitely not hinder your chances anyway but you will definitely need to work on the writing part!

Hallo! Ive actually decided to do an Art related project as my EPQ and make a portfolio in case i later decide i want to study Fine Art at Uni. With Biology + Psychology i have the option to study Nursing and at UCL(?) they allow you to study subjects where you would normally need a proper science if you get AAB+ in your A Levels including either Pysch, Geography or RS(?)
I think its better to keep my options open for now because you never know where life will take you
Thanks for the reply anyway <3
Hallo! Ive actually decided to do an Art related project as my EPQ and make a portfolio in case i later decide i want to study Fine Art at Uni. With Biology + Psychology i have the option to study Nursing and at UCL(?) they allow you to study subjects where you would normally need a proper science if you get AAB+ in your A Levels including either Pysch, Geography or RS(?)
I think its better to keep my options open for now because you never know where life will take you
Thanks for the reply anyway <3

Ah, fair enough! So what are your three A-Levels?

Quick Reply

Latest