The Student Room Group

Government Policy Profession Policy Advisor HEO

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Missybelliot
Hello,I received a score of 4 on the personal statement stage and have been put on a waiting list for interview. 'We are pleased to advise that you have passed the minimum benchmark however due to the volume of applications, we are not able to offer you an interview at this time. We may be able to offer you an interview at a later date, and will contact you accordingly if this is the case. We will review this on a regular basis during the recruitment process.'I'm unsure what to think / how likely it is that I'll be offered an interview. Is anyone else in the same boat? Did people who scored 5 get immediately invited to interview?

I think it's likely you may get an invite to interview closer to the closing date or after. Good luck - hope you do! Would also be worth revising your statement for any other applications since so many roles out just now!
Original post by ellesj2000
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone who has had an interview is still waiting to hear back or has been rejected? I interviewed over a week ago and seeing that most people on here have heard back in a few days is making me think I've not been successful (well done to all btw!) but just wanted to see if anyone in same boat? Also for those who had interview, did anything change on the application page? My status still says interview slot booked...

Mine still says that even though I've been offered a position however if you click on review and then feedback you might be able to see your score and comments
Original post by Sophiehannah95
Does anyone know how much emphasis is on the CV at the personal statement stage? I passed the tests yesterday and have been forwarded to the next stage and I want to ensure my CV is tailored but wondered if it's made a difference to anyone else?

I think it would be hard for anyone to comment on whether CV makes a difference because you get an overall score in the feedback. I think it's better to have your CV tailored than not and that's about transferable skills, not just relevant experience for everyone! The personal statement is the most important though in terms of competency but it's all evidence.
Original post by blueberrysro
Mine still says that even though I've been offered a position however if you click on review and then feedback you might be able to see your score and comments

Thank you, that's good to know. Feedback only showing application/test scores so guess I'll just have to keep waiting!
Hi Everyone!

I finally got my interview slot booked - hooray! Just wondering if anyone has any specific tips for the interview especially the strengths based questions? Any advice? Never had a civil service interview before!

I know some people said they used some of the same examples from their personal statement so hoping that'll be fine for me too!

Did you get an email for the offered position or a phone call? I'm assuming email!
Original post by alyss102
I think it's likely you may get an invite to interview closer to the closing date or after. Good luck - hope you do! Would also be worth revising your statement for any other applications since so many roles out just now!

Thanks! Fingers crossed. Which other similar roles are out at the moment? Maybe I'm being silly but I haven't seen any. I'll definitely put some more work in on the statement
Original post by Missybelliot
Thanks! Fingers crossed. Which other similar roles are out at the moment? Maybe I'm being silly but I haven't seen any. I'll definitely put some more work in on the statement

There's a lot of policy roles out! You can search on Indeed. Plenty across departments
Did you get an email for the offered position or a phone call? I'm assuming email!

Yep just an email!
Reply 89
Original post by ellesj2000
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone who has had an interview is still waiting to hear back or has been rejected? I interviewed over a week ago and seeing that most people on here have heard back in a few days is making me think I've not been successful (well done to all btw!) but just wanted to see if anyone in same boat? Also for those who had interview, did anything change on the application page? My status still says interview slot booked...

I’m in the same boat, this thread has had me feeling anxious haha! When was your interview? I emailed and they said it could take 7-10 working days to hear back, I’m assuming they hit a bit of a backlog and that’s why we’re not hearing back as fast as the others but you never know!

Application portal still says interview booked - trying not to check the feedback obsessively... !
I’d try not to read too much into it. After my interview I was told they would submit their assessment to the recruitment people the next day and I would hear back within 2 weeks. I imagine with 300+ posts to recruit for, it’ll take some time but no news is good news!
Hi guys!

I applied for this role last Saturday and haven't heard anything... on the CS it still says "application under review"
I didn't think anything bad of it, until I came across this thread and saw a bunch of you have already received offers / invite to interview (congratulations on that by the way) :smile:.
Is anyone else awaiting a response for their application? In half a mind to drop them an email, but as somebody mentioned above, it could just be a backlog.
Original post by nadshineldn
Hi guys!

I applied for this role last Saturday and haven't heard anything... on the CS it still says "application under review"
I didn't think anything bad of it, until I came across this thread and saw a bunch of you have already received offers / invite to interview (congratulations on that by the way) :smile:.
Is anyone else awaiting a response for their application? In half a mind to drop them an email, but as somebody mentioned above, it could just be a backlog.

I had applied on a Saturday a few weeks ago and got an interview the following Friday afternoon so you may get it later today! It took me this long to get an interview slot though! Only got it yesterday for next week
Original post by Monarchnord
I’d try not to read too much into it. After my interview I was told they would submit their assessment to the recruitment people the next day and I would hear back within 2 weeks. I imagine with 300+ posts to recruit for, it’ll take some time but no news is good news!

Do you have any specific tips for the interview especially the strengths based questions? Any advice? Never had a civil service interview before!

I know some people said they used some of the same examples from their personal statement so hoping that'll be fine for me too. Nervous I just won't remember the STAR examples in the actual interview. I got a 7 for the overall application but remembering all the details in an interview for answers makes me put pressure on myself!
Hi there!

I haven't been offered a role yet - not yet had my interview but fingers crossed! For advice on the personal statement, I would recommend 250 approx words per competency. I would use the STAR method and think of examples that resonate with the job description. Use the guidance online to understand what good looks like for each competency at the HEO level.

I would also include company names but beyond that, the job titles are what is important and making sure your description of your duties shows impact and again relevance to the job description where possible.

Thanks @alyss102, currently plugging away on my personal statement. I'll stick to 250 words per competency and try to think of compelling examples that coincide with the job description.
Do you have any specific tips for the interview especially the strengths based questions? Any advice? Never had a civil service interview before!

I know some people said they used some of the same examples from their personal statement so hoping that'll be fine for me too. Nervous I just won't remember the STAR examples in the actual interview. I got a 7 for the overall application but remembering all the details in an interview for answers makes me put pressure on myself!

I tried preparing for strengths questions but honestly it didn't really work.
When they say you can't really prepare and just to give your sort of gut instinct answer they're not wrong. Its what I ended up doing and I got full marks for strengths.
Just remember they're marking your body language too so try to generally be open, smiley and maintain eye contact.
On another note my offer is with the Department for Health and Social Care so if anyone is offered a place feel free to DM me - it might be nice to start a little group chat or something :smile:
Reply 97
On another note my offer is with the Department for Health and Social Care so if anyone is offered a place feel free to DM me - it might be nice to start a little group chat or something :smile:

That's great, congratulations!! I've had an email from the Cabinet Office but they would like an informal discussion first which I'm hoping to book in for next week. Did you have a phone call too or was it a straight offer via email?

Also, note to everyone else - I scored a 5 in my application and 6's in the interview, if this helps! I initially applied over a month ago and only just got an offer so I wouldn't worry about not hearing back right away. I also applied quite soon after the role was posted so assume they had less applications at the onset. Its a huge recruitment campaign but a good sign the deadline was extended - there are plenty of roles! Tbh I've found the placing stage the most frustrating. Found out I passed the interview almost 2 weeks ago and still haven't firmly been placed. I want to get excited, tell work etc but don't think I will until I sign on the dotted line! I emailed the Policy Profession recruitment team with some questions I had about timescales and they were great at responding so I would advise that route if you are particularly worried about anything.
Original post by Ame1993
That's great, congratulations!! I've had an email from the Cabinet Office but they would like an informal discussion first which I'm hoping to book in for next week. Did you have a phone call too or was it a straight offer via email?

Also, note to everyone else - I scored a 5 in my application and 6's in the interview, if this helps! I initially applied over a month ago and only just got an offer so I wouldn't worry about not hearing back right away. I also applied quite soon after the role was posted so assume they had less applications at the onset. Its a huge recruitment campaign but a good sign the deadline was extended - there are plenty of roles! Tbh I've found the placing stage the most frustrating. Found out I passed the interview almost 2 weeks ago and still haven't firmly been placed. I want to get excited, tell work etc but don't think I will until I sign on the dotted line! I emailed the Policy Profession recruitment team with some questions I had about timescales and they were great at responding so I would advise that route if you are particularly worried about anything.

Congratulations! I just had an email with a provisional offer confirming my allocation and it said someone will be in touch soon. Good luck with your call!
Reply 99
Congratulations! I just had an email with a provisional offer confirming my allocation and it said someone will be in touch soon. Good luck with your call!

Ah amazing! There must be slight differences in approaches depending on department, just to keep us on our toes!! Good luck to you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending