The Student Room Group

Any other recent graduates struggling to find a job

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What job are you applying for? It's going to be hard as many graduate programmes and entry level opportunities have been postponed till next year September 2021. I've currently lost my job because of Covid-19 and now just looking for other entry level opportunities.
My heart goes out to you guys. This year must have been rough for many grads looking for jobs.

Wishing you guys all the best!
(edited 3 years ago)
I qualified as a teacher this year but there's been less jobs advertised. I'm hoping to pick up some supply work and will also be studying for a Masters.
Reply 4
Yes psychology grad got a 2.2 hated university tbh.
No idea what I will do but know I am being rejected for jobs left right and centre.

Only people I know who have jobs have parental connections or help to move to London etc.

If you don't have some advantages like this it is a lot more difficult.
Thank you. You too. What we have to remember is that this isn't our fault and it won't last forever. We've just got to try and stay positive.
Reply 6
Yeah that is definitely something common I have seen when I ask about careers advice I always get told it is who you know and to network.
Unfortunately I have found that it is common from the people I know that those who have jobs after graduation usually have some contacts from family particularly if they are doing law or finance. These are the only ones I know who have graduated and are in solid employment living in london or earning 30k or more.

The rest of them had to work hard forming connections on linked in and securing interviews but have now lost their jobs due to the pandemic.

Currently I am struggling to even get part time work lol - not helped out by the fact I got a 2.2 but I am trying not to be too discouraged.

What area are you looking to go into?
Or are you still undecided.
Have you tried looking at civil service? There are some interesting jobs that don't require much experience that graduates can apply to, such as policy advisor, analyst, economist etc. Worth looking and giving it a try

I was working working in customer experience since I dropped out of my masters, got offer from graduate schemes as a finance analyst (an airline company) that was supposed to start in June, but my offer got withdrawn and the role postponed till September 2021... but its very unlikely the role will exist in the company.
Reply 8
Sorry for the late reply forgot about this.
Just contacted my careers service to look over my cv and find any suitable work placements as I have yet to receive any response or reply.
I see employers asking for a 2.2 minimum but I think given the economy it can be easy to be rejected or filtered out due to the number of applicants with higher classifications.

I am looking for part time work and have signed on to universal credit atm. Had a hospitality part time job at uni and have been told to use that in an interview to explain my skills I acquired.

Someone I know who graduated two years ago with a year in a graduate job before losing due to the coronavirus also got rejected after a second interview so things aren't looking to good atm. Really hope it picks up soon after the lockdown.

Didn't plan on doing postgraduate although I know a lot who do as my degree is psychology.

Good luck with the job search hope you find something a 1st from a russell group sounds good tbh.
Reply 9
I actually might consider this. I got aab in my a levels in 2016 in English language, psychology and biology respectively. I can't remember the content though and doubt I would be any good.

I might try applying for part time work but haven't heard anything back yet so tutoring might be an option if I am qualified enough.

Is there any companies you know that you recommend?

Thanks
Yeah its hard , i was successful in securing a place on grad scheme. Worked applying , through the process and doing uni work. Got cancelled, they may consider me for next September but not sure how two intakes will work out.

There is positions in my field but as i never done placement i dont have any experience apart from some more pratical aspects of uni. The positions require experience, not sure if i should apply to these, i have been asking companies if there is any work experience going.

Just hoping i get something , i dont want to risk getting stuck in the retail rut again.
I graduated last year. I can’t get any job, even a basic job. Employers have high expectations of experience which isn’t realistic in my view.

I am desperate and have tried various avenues.I don’t know how I am going to get a job. It seems impossible at the moment.

All placements seem to be for students. Employers do not seem to want to help graduates!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Frostyjoe
I graduated last year. I can’t get any job, even a basic job. Employers have high expectations of experience which isn’t realistic in my view.

I am desperate and have tried various avenues.I don’t know how I am going to get a job. It seems impossible at the moment.

All placements seem to be for students. Employers do not seem to want to help graduates!

i get ya it took almost 2 years to get a proper job after graduation
maybe try doing some volunteering somewhere and apply for internal positions
I would email companies asking about work experience, ive had a couple of interviews out of it. Looking back id rather do an apprenticeship and study the degree that way, i think all construction degress should be that way.
Original post by route255
Looking back id rather do an apprenticeship and study the degree that way, i think all construction degress should be that way.

Absolutely!
I've just graduated with a degree in Economics from the University of Nottingham. It ended up being a 2.2 (missed out on a 2.1 by half a percentage which is fairly annoying). However, the grad job market even with a somewhat decent degree from a Top 10 University is a joke. Since March I've sent out over 200 applications to various types of grad schemes not just finance/accountancy based just any that will accept. From that, only got about 20 replies. 12 of those were interviews but no job. The longer it goes on the more mentally taxing and depressing the situation becomes. And reading the news it looks like its only going to get worse.
Original post by Lewis7253
I've just graduated with a degree in Economics from the University of Nottingham. It ended up being a 2.2 (missed out on a 2.1 by half a percentage which is fairly annoying). However, the grad job market even with a somewhat decent degree from a Top 10 University is a joke. Since March I've sent out over 200 applications to various types of grad schemes not just finance/accountancy based just any that will accept. From that, only got about 20 replies. 12 of those were interviews but no job. The longer it goes on the more mentally taxing and depressing the situation becomes. And reading the news it looks like its only going to get worse.

I keep telling young people, university is not the answer but they won't listen!

Universities keep marketing themselves as if you'll have 20 jobs to choose from after you complete the degree only to find out in the end that isn't reality :lol:
I'm a recent MSc graduate from Uni of Nottingham and I've just secured a job as a Laboratory Assistant in a COVID testing laboratory. If COVID weren't such a issue right now the job wouldn't be there for me to apply for so I've got quite lucky.

I actually had more success applying for jobs via Indeed rather than LinkedIn. Have you gave there a chance?

'anything that's suitable' - what do you consider suitable? If you don't have any relevant work experience then you'd struggle to go directly into a graduate job. I have a 1st in UG and a Distinction in my MSc but I was rejected from 6 different companies before securing my current job.

Saying that it isn't the best of salaries for a PG graduate but I need to build on my work experience before getting these "proper" graduate jobs :smile: Maybe you'd be best suited to doing the same?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by trapking
I keep telling young people, university is not the answer but they won't listen!

Universities keep marketing themselves as if you'll have 20 jobs to choose from after you complete the degree only to find out in the end that isn't reality :lol:

I found that out too late. I had the time of my life there, socially, made tons of long lasting friends and it made me into the person I am now. But in terms of investment in your own capital and skills not so much. I know people who didnt go who are in pretty cushty jobs now
Looking for pretty much anything at the moment. Finding it pretty hard to be fair (Education Grad)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending