The Student Room Group

Can someone explain to me how BTEC works?

I am going to study Applied Science Level 3 National Diploma and I have a few questions:
What are the maximum points you can get?
How hard is it to get D*D*D*/168 points?
How are my points added up? Per unit?
What is the maximum points you can get per unit?
Reply 1
168 UCAS Points based on a triple distinction *.

Triple D* is much harder to get now since I believe there are exams incorporated with BTEC's, but definitely possible.

Grades are based on per unit, which determine your overall grade for end of Y1 and Y2.

That depends on the unit, you're better off attending an open day of your desired college and asking the teachers. However, it shouldn't really matter as your goal should be to get the highest grade per unit anyways.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Xarao
168 UCAS Points based on a triple distinction *.

Triple D* is much harder to get now since I believe there are exams incorporated with BTEC's, but definitely possible.

Grades are based on per unit, which determine your overall grade for end of Y1 and Y2.

That depends on the unit, you're better off attending an open day of your desired college and asking the teachers. However, it shouldn't really matter as your goal should be to get the highest grade per unit anyways.

So I need to get every point to get 168?
Reply 3
Original post by JayMurrayy
So I need to get every point to get 168?

You need to get the highest grade in 95% (possibly all now) of the modules to get 168, yes.
Reply 4
Original post by Xarao
You need to get the highest grade in 95% (possibly all now) of the modules to get 168, yes.

Thanks very much.
Hey there, I'm doing btec IT, how hard will it be to get triple D*. I was gonna do A levels, but got denied because of my maths grade. I wanna go university, get a computer science degree. I will apply for the foundation degree, then move up after.
Reply 6
Original post by Benny09876
Hey there, I'm doing btec IT, how hard will it be to get triple D*. I was gonna do A levels, but got denied because of my maths grade. I wanna go university, get a computer science degree. I will apply for the foundation degree, then move up after.

Hey, so I'm going to be brutally honest with you so don't take offence.

Firstly, you're aiming for triple D* yet you want to go through the foundation degree route? Is that because of your math grade, if not why? Secondly, you want to achieve a CS degree yet you can't even do well in GCSE maths? You do know a CS degree has university level mathematics on practically half of the modules you'll be doing right? You won't do well and don't give me the "I will study more" BS.

There's a reason why CS has one of the highest drop out rates, and that's because people take the maths module lightly. This is what I'll suggest to you:

- Aim for the highest grade possible in BTEC, like you are originally aiming for
- Ignore the foundation year (if you've done well above)
- Apply to Software Engineering/Business Computing (less/no maths modules)
- Apply for a sandwich year (companies want experience, not just a degree anymore)

You have to bare in mind, even if you do manage to complete a foundation year, the university can easily say no based on your GCSE maths grades regardless of completion.
Original post by Xarao
Hey, so I'm going to be brutally honest with you so don't take offence.

Firstly, you're aiming for triple D* yet you want to go through the foundation degree route? Is that because of your math grade, if not why? Secondly, you want to achieve a CS degree yet you can't even do well in GCSE maths? You do know a CS degree has university level mathematics on practically half of the modules you'll be doing right? You won't do well and don't give me the "I will study more" BS.

There's a reason why CS has one of the highest drop out rates, and that's because people take the maths module lightly. This is what I'll suggest to you:

- Aim for the highest grade possible in BTEC, like you are originally aiming for
- Ignore the foundation year (if you've done well above)
- Apply to Software Engineering/Business Computing (less/no maths modules)
- Apply for a sandwich year (companies want experience, not just a degree anymore)

You have to bare in mind, even if you do manage to complete a foundation year, the university can easily say no based on your GCSE maths grades regardless of completion.

Hey, btw I'm looking to take a level maths as a private candidate. If I actually did the GCSE exams I would have surely got a grade 7/8. Maths isn't a hard subject for me, and right now, I'm finding As maths easy. So my plan is to continue with my btec and then take A level maths as a private candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending