The Student Room Group

Should i retake?

So I couldn’t do my gcse in summer due to COVID 19 however I still managed to get 7 gcse but they not really that good I got C’s in all of them.
I was informed tht I could retake in November
I want to retake English language and literature
In English language I got a grade 4 (pass) and English literature I got downgraded ( I got 6 in mocks tho)

Will gcse matter if I want to peruse a career in law or business ?

Should I retake ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hello im in the same situation as you i got 9 gcses this summer
i got a 5 in english lang and a 4 in maths which i want to retake , i wanted to do law too ,
Unfortunately i got downgraded too , luckily unlike medicine or engineering gcses dont really matter as much compared to law , im still retaking maths and english lang to hopefully get at least 2 7s
the exams are in november and the exam dates are quite close , not giving as much time to revise , id say start now if youd think that it would benefit you
i hope everything goes well for you x
Original post by hibam
i got a 5 in english lang and a 4 in maths which i want to retake , i wanted to do law too ,
Unfortunately i got downgraded too , luckily unlike medicine or engineering gcses dont really matter as much compared to law , im still retaking maths and english lang to hopefully get at least 2 7s
the exams are in november and the exam dates are quite close , not giving as much time to revise , id say start now if youd think that it would benefit you

Omg finally someone who is in the same situation as me deep down I want to retake Cuz English is always a subject that I cared about the most so
Original post by hibam

Hey I was wondering how you apply for the retakes ?
Reply 4
Original post by Imstressed24/7
Hey I was wondering how you apply for the retakes ?

hello , you could call up your secondary school , but there is a fee per subject you. are resitting , or you could arrange to do the exams at a private centre ( this is what i am doing as i do not want to go back to my old school
Original post by hibam
hello , you could call up your secondary school , but there is a fee per subject you. are resitting , or you could arrange to do the exams at a private centre ( this is what i am doing as i do not want to go back to my old school

I thought it was free ?
Reply 6
I thought it was free ?

im not 100% sure if its free or not , im pretty sure you have to pay to retake if you passed and wanted a higher grade , ill look into it and reply
Original post by hibam
im not 100% sure if its free or not , im pretty sure you have to pay to retake if you passed and wanted a higher grade , ill look into it and reply

Omg thank you soo much please inform me ASAP
Reply 8
Original post by hibam

it said the school pays the fee i dont know if the schools would charge the pupils it depends on your school , you should call them up
Original post by hibam
it said the school pays the fee i dont know if the schools would charge the pupils it depends on your school , you should call them up

Are you paying for urs?
Reply 10
Are you paying for urs?

if it requires me to pay then id have to , the good thing is if you get a lower grade on the resits you get to keep your original grade , so there is no risk
Original post by hibam
if it requires me to pay then id have to , the good thing is if you get a lower grade on the resits you get to keep your original grade , so there is no risk

Yess this is the reason why I want to retake I’m going to try to contact my school and see what they say
I thought it was free ?

If you get below a 4 it’s free, for either maths or English
Reply 13
Original post by john87647
If you get below a 4 it’s free, for either maths or English

yep but if you passed maths and english lang you have to pay to resit
Reply 14
Yess this is the reason why I want to retake I’m going to try to contact my school and see what they say

you should go for it ! you might regret it later in life
Original post by hibam
you should go for it ! you might regret it later in life

But some uni’s might not take you, as they don’t like resists

Resits for Wht the exam we couldn’t even take because of corona?🤣
Reply 17

these are not normal resits theres probably an exception for the 2020 cohort as we didnt actually get to do the exams and they carry exactly the same weight as the scheduled exams for the summer
Original post by hibam
these are not normal resits theres probably an exception for the 2020 cohort as we didnt actually get to do the exams and they carry exactly the same weight as the scheduled exams for the summer

I don’t think I’m going to retake ☹️
So I couldn’t do my gcse in summer due to COVID 19 however I still managed to get 7 gcse but they not really that good I got C’s in all of them.
I was informed tht I could retake in November
I want to retake English language and literature
In English language I got a grade 4 (pass) and English literature I got downgraded ( I got 6 in mocks tho)

Will gcse matter if I want to peruse a career in law or business ?

Should I retake ?

Hi!

Congrats on your results! I personally think that you're okay. I know friends who got these in their GCSE's and they're studying law and doing really well in terms of getting good results and finding a job. You've passed, which i thing is the main thing and a retake might be more stress. Unless someone has told you to retake it most likely isn't worth the hassle.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest