The Student Room Group

spanish a level notes ?

I've just started sixth form and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on making revision resources for spanish (i know it may seem early but i would like to make my revision notes as i go along and make extra ones closer to the exam if required). thank you (:
Hi. This shows great motivation and should be really helpful for your exams.

I don't do Spanish, but I would suggest trying to find your course on Seneca or Memrise. You could also make flashcards of new vocab after each lesson, either on physical flashcards or online, such as Quizlet, which may be quicker and more cost effective, especially if you end up misplacing some of your physical flashcards.

You could also do practice questions or papers as you go along to ensure you keep recalling your knowledge so you don't forget it.

I don't know if this is any help, but I hope so. Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 2
Hey! I'm in year 13 doing Spanish.
I don't know what exam board you're on but I'm assuming they're all similar. Firstly, note down all new vocab you hear and put it into quizlets/flashcards as you go along. For the set topic vocab, you can make your own quizlets but you can always find them already made on quizlet (the ones made by teachers are usually more reliable). For the units i.e. family, I would recommend making an A3 mindmap at the end of every unit (in Spanish) with key information, vocab you forget easily and also any stats that might be useful in speaking exams. When you start doing your film and book (we haven't studied our play yet but we did El laberinto del fauno last year), I would recommend making mindmaps for context, scene summaries, characters, director's techniques, themes etc. Also, if you hear any good quotes or your teacher gives you a list of key quotes, type them up onto quizlet so you can learn them easily for exams.
For grammar, make summary pages on things you might find difficult or forget easily e.g. por vs para so you can refer back to it easily.
Overall, I would focus on learning vocab, listening to lots of things in Spanish like podcasts and the news and reading as many extra articles and things as possible.
You'll be fine, good luck:smile:
Original post by popsy354
I've just started sixth form and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on making revision resources for spanish (i know it may seem early but i would like to make my revision notes as i go along and make extra ones closer to the exam if required). thank you (:

Hi,

Not sure if this is helpful re: revision but one element of that will be vocab. When it comes to learning vocab, I personally think you've got different ways of revising and it's good to have a step-by-step process that you follow because often when teachers say to learn vocab it can be really vague! This is the method I suggest to my students (I'm a private tutor and it worked really well for all of my students):

1. Look at your textbooks + topic booklets for the lists of vocab you need to learn. Group up the vocab into categories related to your syllabus topics, eg. family, social issues, the Internet, employment, immigration, politics etc. Write these grouped lists in a separate notebook just for vocab.
2. Writing cognitively helps us to remember so keep repeating this as often as possible!
3. Flashcards - use the white lined cards. I tell my students to highlight any irregularities, eg, irregular genders, collective nouns, false friends etc. This makes it easier to visualise!
4. Quizlet, Memrize etc - create flashcard decks by listing groups of vocab on one side of the flashcard with the translation on the other - use the white space! You can upgrade to highlight, bold, underline vocab, listen to the audio etc.
5. Post-it notes - if you have a test, assessment or not coming up and I having difficulty learning say verb tenses or topical terminology, select the keywords and simply write them down on post-it notes and hang them up see you see them every day. Seems like a basic thing to remember but sometimes the most simplest of things at the most effective!

Hope that helps you! And actually, you can use the strategies for other subjects as well :-)

Drew @ My Language Lab
Languages are my thing, especially Spanish. I'm a private online tutor. Ask me anything, hopefully I can help!
NEW: The Netflix of Spanish tuition | On-demand GCSE and A level video tutorials | Subscriptions from £47/m | Sign up for your 7 day trial :smile:
Original post by popsy354

Hi,

Not sure if this is helpful re: revision but one element of that will be vocab. When it comes to learning vocab, I personally think you've got different ways of revising and it's good to have a step-by-step process that you follow because often when teachers say to learn vocab it can be really vague! This is the method I suggest to my students (I'm a private tutor and it worked really well for all of my students):

1. Look at your textbooks + topic booklets for the lists of vocab you need to learn. Group up the vocab into categories related to your syllabus topics, eg. family, social issues, the Internet, employment, immigration, politics etc. Write these grouped lists in a separate notebook just for vocab.
2. Writing cognitively helps us to remember so keep repeating this as often as possible!
3. Flashcards - use the white lined cards. I tell my students to highlight any irregularities, eg, irregular genders, collective nouns, false friends etc. This makes it easier to visualise!
4. Quizlet, Memrize etc - create flashcard decks by listing groups of vocab on one side of the flashcard with the translation on the other - use the white space! You can upgrade to highlight, bold, underline vocab, listen to the audio etc.
5. Post-it notes - if you have a test, assessment or not coming up and I having difficulty learning say verb tenses or topical terminology, select the keywords and simply write them down on post-it notes and hang them up see you see them every day. Seems like a basic thing to remember but sometimes the most simplest of things at the most effective!

Hope that helps you! And actually, you can use the strategies for other subjects as well :-)

Drew, My Language Lab
Languages are my thing, especially Spanish. I'm a private online tutor. Ask me anything, hopefully I can help!
NEW: The Netflix of Spanish tuition | On-demand GCSE and A level video tutorials | Subscriptions from £47/m | Sign up for your 7 day trial :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MyLanguageLab
Hi,

Drew @ My Language Lab

Thank you so much for this!! Also just wondering whether you have any suggestions particular to my board? - I am doing Pre-U Cambridge as my Spanish course rather than A level. Would you say there is a major difference between them?
Reply 6
Original post by i77
Hey! I'm in year 13 doing Spanish.
I don't know what exam board you're on but I'm assuming they're all similar. Firstly, note down all new vocab you hear and put it into quizlets/flashcards as you go along. For the set topic vocab, you can make your own quizlets but you can always find them already made on quizlet (the ones made by teachers are usually more reliable). For the units i.e. family, I would recommend making an A3 mindmap at the end of every unit (in Spanish) with key information, vocab you forget easily and also any stats that might be useful in speaking exams. When you start doing your film and book (we haven't studied our play yet but we did El laberinto del fauno last year), I would recommend making mindmaps for context, scene summaries, characters, director's techniques, themes etc. Also, if you hear any good quotes or your teacher gives you a list of key quotes, type them up onto quizlet so you can learn them easily for exams.
For grammar, make summary pages on things you might find difficult or forget easily e.g. por vs para so you can refer back to it easily.
Overall, I would focus on learning vocab, listening to lots of things in Spanish like podcasts and the news and reading as many extra articles and things as possible.
You'll be fine, good luck:smile:

Thank you so much! I will definitely start making mind-maps. I have already started making my own quizlets and I use the teacher's as well. The thing is I have never had a way to revise spanish or make resources, but since the a level has so much more vocabulary (most of which is new) and many more topics, I don't want to go on through the year not having made any condensed notes or flashcards. :redface:
Thank you once again and good luck for your a levels this year!

Quick Reply

Latest