The Student Room Group

Can I take the IB and an A Level?

Hi guys, I really want to take History at IB but my school is not letting me and a few of my unis require it. Do you think I would be way in over my head if I took the IB and an A Level?
Original post by caitrussell121
Hi guys, I really want to take History at IB but my school is not letting me and a few of my unis require it. Do you think I would be way in over my head if I took the IB and an A Level?

Hi,

Taking the IB and doing A Levels simultaneously is a death sentence haha. But it could be possible to do just one IB course alongside your A Levels -- check with your school to see whether they would accommodate this.

On the other hand, you could simply do the IB and study some of the subjects you planned to do at A Levels, plus history. Be warned that the IB is more difficult and more stressful than the A Levels, though -- and unis don't seem to care which you've done for admissions so long as you've met their prerequisites.

Any specific reason as to why you want to do IB History specifically though?
(edited 3 years ago)
You should change the thread title to 'What is the quickest way to die on the inside (and possibly on the outside)?'

IB is highly highly demanding, and I assume it is the same for A-levels. I could barely make it alive doing it without A-levels.

I would ask your school, as the above poster said, but I highly do not advise it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Synergy.x
You should change the thread title to 'What quickest way to die on the inside (and possibly on the outside)?'

IB is highly highly demanding, and I assume it is the same for A-levels. I could barely make it alive doing it without A-levels.

I would ask your school, as the above poster said, but I highly do not advise it.

Facts. These courses are designed to be challenging, so make your decisions strategically and pragmatically.
Original post by amberidescence
Hi,

Taking the IB and doing A Levels simultaneously is a death sentence haha. But it could be possible to do just one IB course alongside your A Levels -- check with your school to see whether they would accommodate this.

On the other hand, you could simply do the IB and study some of the subjects you planned to do at A Levels, plus history. Be warned that the IB is more difficult and more stressful than the A Levels, though -- and unis don't seem to care which you've done for admissions so long as you've met their prerequisites.

Hey! Thank you so much for responding. My school only offers the IB because we're an international school plus our cohort is small. So I was thinking of doing the DP and the A Level History on the side with a tutor and then work through summer 2021 in hopes of sitting the exam in Nov 2021, so I'd still have a few months to solely focus on the DP. I was planning on doing the DP and then doing History in the Group 4 section but there's not enough people that picked History so my school isn't allowing us to take that course this year bc the class would be to small.

I want to take IB History because well my school only offers IB and I want to study History in Uni and some unis need it as a prereq.
I would not recommend doing both, is there a different sixth form/college you could go to to take history? I'm a history undergrad and definitely recommend studying history at A-level (or as part of the IB) before doing it as a degree, not sure how I would have managed to jump up otherwise and it would help your application hugely for university.
Original post by historynerd47
I would not recommend doing both, is there a different sixth form/college you could go to to take history? I'm a history undergrad and definitely recommend studying history at A-level (or as part of the IB) before doing it as a degree, not sure how I would have managed to jump up otherwise and it would help your application hugely for university.

Hey! Thanks for replying. There's only two schools on the island I live on that offer higher learning and they're both solely IB schools and the other one does not offer History because they use Comoja, that's why I was going to go forth with my IB and do only the A Level History on the side. My school isn't allowing me to take History at IB because not enough students choose that course, so I'm not really sure what to do rn.
Hey! Thanks for replying. There's only two schools on the island I live on that offer higher learning and they're both solely IB schools and the other one does not offer History because they use Comoja, that's why I was going to go forth with my IB and do only the A Level History on the side. My school isn't allowing me to take History at IB because not enough students choose that course, so I'm not really sure what to do rn.

Ah I see how frustrating. I don't know the IB system- is it possible to take the history part privately? Failing that you could absolutely do the degree without having done the a-level, if its the degree for you go for it!
Original post by historynerd47
Ah I see how frustrating. I don't know the IB system- is it possible to take the history part privately? Failing that you could absolutely do the degree without having done the a-level, if its the degree for you go for it!

Hey, I've already tried asking my school if I can take it privately because my old history teacher has offered to tutor me History/me do independant since Comoja doesn't offer it but they still say no because he's not an employee of the school and if I'd be paying him they can't 100% be certain that he's grading me what I actually got etc etc. Yeah that's my plan to still go ahead with the undergrad, I just hope that this won't negatively affect me as some of my top unis require History at IB or A Level. Thanks so much for the help and advice : )
Hey! Thank you so much for responding. My school only offers the IB because we're an international school plus our cohort is small. So I was thinking of doing the DP and the A Level History on the side with a tutor and then work through summer 2021 in hopes of sitting the exam in Nov 2021, so I'd still have a few months to solely focus on the DP. I was planning on doing the DP and then doing History in the Group 4 section but there's not enough people that picked History so my school isn't allowing us to take that course this year bc the class would be to small.

I want to take IB History because well my school only offers IB and I want to study History in Uni and some unis need it as a prereq.

That's so frustrating! With others' comments in mind, I can only suggest you do one of the following:

1) Seriously pester your school into teaching History despite the small class size.
I mean seriously do it. If you need to, get your parents involved etc etc. This is the best option imo, as all the other options I can suggest are less than ideal.

2) Second-best option is to simply not do History at the IB or A Levels and consider the uni options you have otherwise.
I'm currently studying the IB and I can't imagine having to do another completely separate subject (and come out alive!). The IB is tough and sufficiently challenging without doing an A Level qualification on the side.

3) Study IB Courses and A Level History alongside
Rather than completing the entire diploma, the IB also allows students to only do certain courses. This way you'll be able to drop one or two IB subjects and take up A Level History. Keep in mind that not completing the entire diploma is likely to reflect poorly on you as a uni applicant in the future and might make your application less competitive.

4) The least recommended option is to do both the entire IB diploma as well as A Level History. I would seriously advise against doing this, but if you have no other options and are desperate to study high school History, this might be an option.

Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
That's so frustrating! With others' comments in mind, I can only suggest you do one of the following:

1) Seriously pester your school into teaching History despite the small class size.
I mean seriously do it. If you need to, get your parents involved etc etc. This is the best option imo, as all the other options I can suggest are less than ideal.

2) Second-best option is to simply not do History at the IB or A Levels and consider the uni options you have otherwise.
I'm currently studying the IB and I can't imagine having to do another completely separate subject (and come out alive!). The IB is tough and sufficiently challenging without doing an A Level qualification on the side.

3) Study IB Courses and A Level History alongside
Rather than completing the entire diploma, the IB also allows students to only do certain courses. This way you'll be able to drop one or two IB subjects and take up A Level History. Keep in mind that not completing the entire diploma is likely to reflect poorly on you as a uni applicant in the future and might make your application less competitive.

4) The least recommended option is to do both the entire IB diploma as well as A Level History. I would seriously advise against doing this, but if you have no other options and are desperate to study high school History, this might be an option.

Hope this helps.

Hey! Thanks so much for your respond! I'm just now seeing it ahahah, and yeah I kept going back and forth with my principle and IB coordinator on more than one way how this was unfair and possibly detrimental to my education but they didn't really care. I ended up doing the IB and the first year of A Level history, but dropped a level for the second year because it was becoming too much and my tutor wouldn't be as readily available. Kind of gave up on my dream of being a history professor ahaha so now I'm more into engineering and will keep history as a very avid passion on the side and maybe I'll go back to school to study it, who knows. Thanks so much for all the help though.
Hi,

I wanted to do IB History because the unis I wanted to go to needed it for an entry requirement :smile: I would have been in pretty good standing for all Russell groups, LSE and Oxbridge if I would have taken it.

Do either all A levels or IB! Do not mix them!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending