The Student Room Group

How do you reference a book or article/journal in a statement of purpose?

Hi everyone,

This is for a post grad statement of purpose so no Ucas here.

Do I just use the: "book" by author format? Any need to mention date? Should I use italics instead of quotation marks?

Is this the same for an article? For example how would I ref an article from say The Lancet?

"article" by author?
Original post by countduckula1906
Hi everyone,

Do I just use the: "book" by author format? Any need to mention date? Should I use italics instead of quotation marks?

Is this the same for an article? For example how would I ref an article from say The Lancet?

"article" by author?

I would use the same format as you would if you were writing a journal article. The referencing system depends on your subject, but follow the usual conventions.
Original post by countduckula1906
Hi everyone,

"article" by author?

I'd be careful that you are pitching the whole document at the right level. A statement of purpose isn't an academic document, so quoting/referencing isn't usually necessary within the structure. If your interest requires it, ie you are interested in a specific phrase or word use, then any simple description of the source is sufficient. The reader is not expected to want or need to go off and check the source, you just need to acknowledge someone else's work clearly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending