The Student Room Group

EPQ Results failure

I did EPQ this year and I worked incredibly hard on it, spending hours a week, following all the advice I could find, not skipping out on ANYTHING that was required. I did very well and when I submitted my project to my teacher she told me that she marked it as a high A* grade, almost full marks.
However, the project had to go through moderation, and other teachers marked it and I got downgraded to an A (two marks off an A* judging by last year's boundaries).
The reason for this is because last year, they gave one of their students an A* grade and when AQA moderated it, it came back as a C grade project! Therefore, they're being really careful this year and marking each project down (their words) so that AQA can't pull them up on anything.

Whilst I understand their thought process and I don't like to whine, I find this really unfair seeing as I think my work deserved an A*! Surely they should mark projects by what they DESERVE, not play it safe because of their own mistakes last year. Is there anything I can do to change this result? I need an A* to lower my uni offer next year and the results haven't been sent off the AQA to moderate yet, so I don't know what to do.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by chloenix
I did EPQ this year and I worked incredibly hard on it, spending hours a week, following all the advice I could find, not skipping out on ANYTHING that was required. I did very well and when I submitted my project to my teacher she told me that she marked it as a high A* grade, almost full marks.
However, the project had to go through moderation, and other teachers marked it and I got downgraded to an A (two marks off an A* judging by last year's boundaries).
The reason for this is because last year, they gave one of their students an A* grade and when AQA moderated it, it came back as a C grade project! Therefore, they're being really careful this year and marking each project down (their words) so that AQA can't pull them up on anything.

Whilst I understand their thought process and I don't like to whine, I find this really unfair seeing as I think my work deserved an A*! Surely they should mark projects by what they DESERVE, not play it safe because of their own mistakes last year. Is there anything I can do to change this result? I need an A* to lower my uni offer next year and the results haven't been sent off the AQA to moderate yet, so I don't know what to do.

Why are they no submitting it as a grade A?
Reply 3
They are I think! I'm not angry with an A grade by any means but I do think my work deserved an A* and so did the other teachers who marked it. It might be open to change but I doubt it.
Original post by Muttley79
Why are they no submitting it as a grade A?
Original post by chloenix
They are I think! I'm not angry with an A grade by any means but I do think my work deserved an A* and so did the other teachers who marked it. It might be open to change but I doubt it.

They are allowed some latitude in their grades - they must have been way out last year! Is yours being submitted as the best or part of the random sample?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
They are allowed some latitude in their grades - they must have been way out last year! Is yours being submitted as the best or part of the random sample?

Ah okay that makes sense.
And I'm not sure but I imagine it will be submitted as part of the random sample.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending