The Student Room Group

Why KCL doesn't get hired much by magic circle law firms?

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019 shows that KCL does not supply the most law graduates to top law firms training contracts. Nearly every year it is beaten by universities like Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester. That seems strange. I thought its the college of the king all so mighty great UOL college, never accept any applications beyond february, only takes A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* applicants, even better than Oxford. So why does it suck when it comes to getting training contract?
(edited 3 years ago)
Its "Prestige" has declined in recent years. Although that's a very subjective opinion.
It could be to do with the university being known for heavily enrolling many students abroad who may wish to practice law elsewhere. This is because many overseas students study in London.

Maybe it's to do with the candidates on any given year just aren't impressive enough. This can change all the time as it is all down to the person and how well they are percieved.

I can tell you now, KCL is consistently ranked in the top 10 law schools in the UK and no employers in the magic circle is going to shun you away just because you attended that university. It's all down to you and the way you sell yourself. I honestly believe that a student studying an LLB at the worst uni in the UK could still land a job in the magic circle but I also agree that they would have to be spectacular and their non-study achievements and work placements would have to be great too. but it is possible.
Original post by gabriel001
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019 shows that KCL does not supply the most law graduates to top law firms training contracts. Nearly every year it is beaten by universities like Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester. That seems strange. I thought its the college of the king all so mighty great UOL college, never accept any applications beyond february, only takes A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* applicants, even better than Oxford. So why does it suck when it comes to getting training contract?

Not sure where the whole '[the university] only takes A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* applicants applicants' thing comes from, but I'll carry on.

There are mountains of reasons why KCL does not supply the most law graduate to top/MC firms.

1) Perhaps there are more students who don't end up practising law after graduation.
2) Perhaps there are more students who want to practise as barristers over solicitors.
3) Perhaps there are more students who simply don't want to work at MC firms.

It does not 'suck' when it comes to getting training contracts. Correlation =/= causation!
Original post by lilguy100
Its "Prestige" has declined in recent years. Although that's a very subjective opinion.

In what way do you believe it's declined?
Original post by Euphoria101
In what way do you believe it's declined?

As I said its subjective, I can't really give you a quantitative measurement of its prestige declining. It just tends to be regarded as the worse of the top 3 London unis, much more so than it previously did.
Original post by lilguy100
As I said its subjective, I can't really give you a quantitative measurement of its prestige declining. It just tends to be regarded as the worse of the top 3 London unis, much more so than it previously did.

Oh please.... it’s a proper A*AA uni in London and based on how competitive it was to get into last year for Law and how many outstanding students it rejected, its prestige is not declining one bit.
It may be considered very slightly below LSE and UCL but that has always been the case and if anything Kings Law seems to be becoming more selective not less so

MC dont know their job and how amazing graduates from KCL are. They get preference to jobs you never hear about that are secret.
Oxford grads are just failed KCL grad wannabes. Dont forget the reputation and prestige elements.
Original post by 999tigger
MC dont know their job and how amazing graduates from KCL are. They get preference to jobs you never hear about that are secret.
Oxford grads are just failed KCL grad wannabes. Dont forget the reputation and prestige elements.

🤣🤣
The Law forum has gone a bit bananas lately
Original post by harrysbar
The Law forum has gone a bit bananas lately

Dunno I try and avoid it really.
Anything that attempts analysis
Talks about prestige or salaries is zzzzzzzzz.
All I can say is that if TSR were in that Chambers survey they must be packing the MC at all levels.
Reply 11
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019 shows that KCL does not supply the most law graduates to top law firms training contracts. Nearly every year it is beaten by universities like Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester. That seems strange.

There's a number of factors that play a role in that survey, but the size of the uni's cohort is one worth noting. For example the likes of Bristol, Birmingham, Exeter and Manchester have significantly greater intakes than the likes of KCL, UCL and LSE (particularly the latter two). This partly explains why they are more represented, for example Bristol has more LLB students than UCL and LSE combined.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending