The Student Room Group

Subject Drop

I am a second year student at my college now and I'm currently doing 4 A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. Working hard to get into Oxbridge but now facing a situation that gives me less than a week to decide before being unable to drop.

I've done the AS for everything but Computer Science and received 2 As and a B in FM. I've been thinking of dropping one of my subjects so that I can reduce the number of workload provided by the subjects and being able to find time to do what I loved which is learning outside my subjects (Like learning BSL or Electronics to create small projects using Arduino)

I've read that, In the Wiki so I have doubts it may be untrue, Cambridge mentions that Further Maths should be taken up to at least AS if taken as it can provide an advantage when starting in University. I plan to take Computer Science

I know I should consider dropping Physics or Computer Science but through my recommendations of my teachers; they suggest dropping FM, as it is known to be a hard subject, in order to make time for my other subjects as they had mentioned that I was predicted a much higher grade than FM itself and have done the AS. This would have been an easy choice if I did this earlier but I grew an attachment to two subjects (CS and Physics) more than FM. Should I consider dropping FM at A2 and focus on the subjects I can maintain A* and A grades if the other subjects are fields that I find much of my type of thing? Or drop another subject to continue FM as a full A-Level in order to increase my chances to getting into Oxbridge or other top unis?

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by JMendi05
I am a second year student at my college now and I'm currently doing 4 A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. Working hard to get into Oxbridge but now facing a situation that gives me less than a week to decide before being unable to drop.

I've done the AS for everything but Computer Science and received 2 As and a B in FM. I've been thinking of dropping one of my subjects so that I can reduce the number of workload provided by the subjects and continue my participation in terms of improving and representing the college and being able to find time to do what I loved which is learning outside my subjects (Like learning BSL or Electronics to create small projects using Arduino)

I know I should consider dropping Physics or Computer Science but through my recommendations of my teachers; they suggested dropping FM, as it is known to be a hard subject, in order to make time for my other subjects as they had mentioned that I was predicted a much higher grade than FM itself and have done the AS. This would have been an easy choice if I did this earlier but I grew an attachment to two subjects (CS and Physics) more than FM. Should I consider dropping FM as an AS Subject and focus on the subjects I can maintain A* and A grades if the other subjects are fields that I find much of my type of thing? Or drop another subject to continue FM as a full A-Level in order to increase my chances to getting into Oxbridge or other top unis?

I've read that, In the Wiki so I have doubts it may be untrue, Cambridge mentions that Further Maths should be taken up to at least AS if taken as it can provide an advantage when starting in University. I'll be really honest, this entire

It seems you've not finished that last sentence.
I dont understand , you've gotten the AS grade in FM but want to drop it in AS? Do you mean drop it in A2?
The post is confusing. It would help you to be more concise with the facts. Some irrelevant information given about representing your college and Wiki but you haven't mentioned what subject you are applying for?

I've done the AS for everything but Computer Science and received 2 As and a B in FM. I've been thinking of dropping one of my subjects so that I can reduce the number of workload provided by the subjects and continue my participation in terms of improving and representing the college and being able to find time to do what I loved which is learning outside my subjects (Like learning BSL or Electronics to create small projects using Arduino)

I know I should consider dropping Physics or Computer Science but through my recommendations of my teachers; they suggested dropping FM, as it is known to be a hard subject, in order to make time for my other subjects as they had mentioned that I was predicted a much higher grade than FM itself and have done the AS. This would have been an easy choice if I did this earlier but I grew an attachment to two subjects (CS and Physics) more than FM. Should I consider dropping FM as an AS Subject and focus on the subjects I can maintain A* and A grades if the other subjects are fields that I find much of my type of thing? Or drop another subject to continue FM as a full A-Level in order to increase my chances to getting into Oxbridge or other top unis?

I've read that, In the Wiki so I have doubts it may be untrue, Cambridge mentions that Further Maths should be taken up to at least AS if taken as it can provide an advantage when starting in University. I'll be really honest, this entire
Original post by Sarvienn
It seems you've not finished that last sentence.
I dont understand , you've gotten the AS grade in FM but want to drop it in AS? Do you mean drop it in A2?

My deep apologies! Yes, I mean to drop it at A2 after obtaining an AS grade.
Original post by harrysbar
The post is confusing. It would help you to be more concise with the facts. Some irrelevant information given about representing your college and Wiki but you haven't mentioned what subject you are applying for?

Sorry!

I meant to add in saying I was planning to apply for Computer Science. I noticed there was a Wikipedia post indicating that Cambridge recommends their students to do Further Maths to atleast as an AS but now I can't find it so I'll remove it from the post.

I've done the AS for everything but Computer Science and received 2 As and a B in FM. I've been thinking of dropping one of my subjects so that I can reduce the number of workload provided by the subjects and being able to find time to do what I loved which is learning outside my subjects (Like learning BSL or Electronics to create small projects using Arduino)

I've read that, In the Wiki so I have doubts it may be untrue, Cambridge mentions that Further Maths should be taken up to at least AS if taken as it can provide an advantage when starting in University. I plan to take Computer Science

I know I should consider dropping Physics or Computer Science but through my recommendations of my teachers; they suggest dropping FM, as it is known to be a hard subject, in order to make time for my other subjects as they had mentioned that I was predicted a much higher grade than FM itself and have done the AS. This would have been an easy choice if I did this earlier but I grew an attachment to two subjects (CS and Physics) more than FM. Should I consider dropping FM at A2 and focus on the subjects I can maintain A* and A grades if the other subjects are fields that I find much of my type of thing? Or drop another subject to continue FM as a full A-Level in order to increase my chances to getting into Oxbridge or other top unis?

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/computer_science_subject_requirements_1.pdf

I would drop FM now as per your teachers advice as they know you best and you will need to be able to get A* and As in 3 A level subjects to stand a chance at the top unis. Take a look at what the various Cambridge colleges are saying they want for Computer Science and only apply to the colleges that don't ask for A level FM (although all colleges and unis will consider you having taken it to AS level as preferable to someone who never took it at all).

I would choose Cambridge not Oxford since Oxford say on their website that "Those taking Further Mathematics A-level or AS-level are expected to achieve at least Grade A".
My deep apologies! Yes, I mean to drop it at A2 after obtaining an AS grade.

No worries at all, was just trying to get a clearer picture. So, Cambridge's computer science course has specific college requirements. Some specifically require you to take an A2 Further maths as a subject and obtain a certain grade in that. You can find that here https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/computer_science_subject_requirements_1.pdf

However, i'd honestly advise dropping another subject, especially if you at all enjoy doing further maths. Then, this will really put your application up due to the nature they regard further maths as a subject. Having already shown some potential in AS, you might also have a better chance than those who have just had predicted grades to show for their performance. Will you be able to get your UCAS predicted for FM to an A* or A? If yes, then I'd say keep FM and drop one of the other ones. I can only offer my opinion, so do some additional reliable research on it.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/computer_science_subject_requirements_1.pdf

I would drop FM now as per your teachers advice as they know you best and you will need to be able to get A* and As in 3 A level subjects to stand a chance at the top unis. Take a look at what the various Cambridge colleges are saying they want for Computer Science and only apply to the colleges that don't ask for A level FM (although all colleges and unis will consider you having taken it to AS level as preferable to someone who never took it at all).

I would choose Cambridge not Oxford since Oxford say on their website that "Those taking Further Mathematics A-level or AS-level are expected to achieve at least Grade A".

Hey,

Wouldn't he be better off taking further maths all the way, as now they will see his potential within FM as a B only, with him dropping it would suggest that he doesn't enjoy it?
Also, Cambridge expects students to take further maths if their school offers it, so it is also unlikely that he will be competitive there without FM. I got this from an admissions tutor at cambridge during the university fair.
Hey,

Wouldn't he be better off taking further maths all the way, as now they will see his potential within FM as a B only, with him dropping it would suggest that he doesn't enjoy it?
Also, Cambridge expects students to take further maths if their school offers it, so it is also unlikely that he will be competitive there without FM. I got this from an admissions tutor at cambridge during the university fair.

I'm just giving my opinion same as you so not saying I have the perfect answer. I think this should have been posted in the Cambridge uni sub forum and then maybe one of their college reps could respond like @Peterhouse Admissions.

But it seems to me that as long as OP picks a college that doesn't ask for FM, the B will be an advantage not a disadvantage as some other applicants will not have taken it at all. If he were applying for Maths my advice would be different but he is applying for Computer Science. Whilst Maths is still an essental subject, I don't think FM is vital for him to be considered at Cambridge and I say this because some Cambridge colleges don't specify FM at all.

I have heard unis like LSE say for certain subjects like Economics that they expect students to take FM if their school offers it but this is normally only up to AS level. I feel like if all the Cambridge colleges really wanted all their applicants to offer FM up to A level for Computer Science they would plainly state it as a requirement. Also, although @JMendi05 would continue FM in an ideal world and get an A, in reality his teachers are showing doubt that he can get an A in that subject. First and foremost he has to get three A*/A grades to be eligible for a range of top unis (not just Cambridge) and if he is finding 4 subjects too demanding, his best chance of doing this seems to be to drop his weakest subject.
I'm just giving my opinion same as you so not saying I have the perfect answer. I think this should have been posted in the Cambridge uni sub forum and then maybe one of their college reps could respond like @Peterhouse Admissions.

But it seems to me that as long as OP picks a college that doesn't ask for FM, the B will be an advantage not a disadvantage as some other applicants will not have taken it at all. If he were applying for Maths my advice would be different but he is applying for Computer Science. Whilst Maths is still an essental subject, I don't think FM is vital for him to be considered at Cambridge and I say this because some Cambridge colleges don't specify FM at all.

I have heard unis like LSE say for certain subjects like Economics that they expect students to take FM if their school offers it but this is normally only up to AS level. I feel like if all the Cambridge colleges really wanted all their applicants to offer FM up to A level for Computer Science they would plainly state it as a requirement. Also, although @JMendi05 would continue FM in an ideal world and get an A, in reality his teachers are showing doubt that he can get an A in that subject. First and foremost he has to get three A*/A grades to be eligible for a range of top unis (not just Cambridge) and if he is finding 4 subjects too demanding, his best chance of doing this seems to be to drop his weakest subject.

I agree, however my suggestion was he drop one of the other 3.. not only the entry requirements but the FM course itself would really be of use towards studying CS in uni..
I agree, however my suggestion was he drop one of the other 3.. not only the entry requirements but the FM course itself would really be of use towards studying CS in uni..

But if he drops one of the other 3 he stands less chance of getting the A*A*A that Cambridge require as he is keeping his weakest subject and dropping one of his stronger ones that he potentially could have got A* in?
But if he drops one of the other 3 he stands less chance of getting the A*A*A that Cambridge require as he is keeping his weakest subject and dropping one of his stronger ones that he potentially could have got A* in?

Yes that is correct. He would have to decide on which risk he prefers going with..
Yes that is correct. He would have to decide on which risk he prefers going with..

And he also needs to keep in mind the requirements of other unis too since there is no guarantee of getting into Cambridge. For example, Durham wants A*AA including Maths, Manchester wants A*AA including Maths at A* and Bath want A*AA in 3 subjects including Maths.

@JMendi05 needs to focus primarily on getting A*AA (A*A*A for Cambridge). If his teachers are suggesting he is less likely to get an A in FM, that is the subject to drop in my opinion but I would say he has been given good advice from both of us and it's up to him to weigh it all up now.
@harrysbar, @Sarvienn

Thank you two for helping with this from the bottom of my heart!

I may consider dropping my weaker subject, which is Further Maths, so that I can focus on getting at least an A*AA which @harrysbar suggested in case Cambridge wouldn't be the place I go to in the end. With the discussion that both you said had helped me weigh the other opinions that my friends had say, which were quite bias because they dropped Physics as it was boring (Which is not :h:). I haven't considered much about the realistic of my chances compare to what I ideal to do in order to get a better chance rather than focusing on the subjects I excel in.

I think I'll take the chance of not compromising my potential in other subjects for a subject I find sometimes hard to maintain an excellent grade consistently.
@harrysbar, @Sarvienn

Thank you two for helping with this from the bottom of my heart!

I may consider dropping my weaker subject, which is Further Maths, so that I can focus on getting at least an A*AA which @harrysbar suggested in case Cambridge wouldn't be the place I go to in the end. With the discussion that both you said had helped me weigh the other opinions that my friends had say, which were quite bias because they dropped Physics as it was boring (Which is not :h:). I haven't considered much about the realistic of my chances compare to what I ideal to do in order to get a better chance rather than focusing on the subjects I excel in.

I think I'll take the chance of not compromising my potential in other subjects for a subject I find sometimes hard to maintain an excellent grade consistently.

You're most welcome! we only offered opinions, you are always in the best position to make the choice!
All the best!!

Quick Reply

Latest