The Student Room Group

Is it worth asking to move study groups?

I have some specific learning difficulties, I’m dyslexic. But I also suffer with severe anxiety. At the moment out masters is online. Anyway I joined a group that were super super talkative. They were sending so many messages I couldn’t read and process them and keep up I then couldn’t respond quick enough because someone else would reply or the convo would move on.

I’m super embarrassed. As this makes me look like I’m not interested at all but I am I just need some more time compared to others.

I contacted the tutor who did the groups and her response was try again on Monday which upset me because I was obviously struggling and they were way ahead of me ability wise. And it was a get on with it type of response.

My learning difficulty supervisor is also on holiday so never sent my report to the tutors so until I knew who my tutors were I couldn’t even email them.

I then had to speak to someone else from the disability team and tell them how overwhelming the group was for me and that they need to help me out.

I just want to move group with ability similar to mine
Is it worth me asking them to be more accommodating? Or would it be a pointless excercise
Original post by SS123456
I have some specific learning difficulties, I’m dyslexic. But I also suffer with severe anxiety. At the moment out masters is online. Anyway I joined a group that were super super talkative. They were sending so many messages I couldn’t read and process them and keep up I then couldn’t respond quick enough because someone else would reply or the convo would move on.

I’m super embarrassed. As this makes me look like I’m not interested at all but I am I just need some more time compared to others.

I contacted the tutor who did the groups and her response was try again on Monday which upset me because I was obviously struggling and they were way ahead of me ability wise. And it was a get on with it type of response.

My learning difficulty supervisor is also on holiday so never sent my report to the tutors so until I knew who my tutors were I couldn’t even email them.

I then had to speak to someone else from the disability team and tell them how overwhelming the group was for me and that they need to help me out.

I just want to move group with ability similar to mine
Is it worth me asking them to be more accommodating? Or would it be a pointless excercise

This does sound tough for you if you have dyslexia and anxiety. Unfortunately, all the study groups may be similar, so moving may not help, but it would be good of them to at least let you try another one.

I would also talk to the disability team to try to come up with strategies for this- or maybe just type your points as a reply, even if the conversation has moved on? This will show you are interested and trying to engage.

It sounds like the disability team have let you down a bit by not forwarding the report and not being available at the moment as well.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
This does sound tough for you if you have dyslexia and anxiety. Unfortunately, all the study groups may be similar, so moving may not help, but it would be good of them to at least let you try another one.

I would also talk to the disability team to try to come up with strategies for this- or maybe just type your points as a reply, even if the conversation has moved on? This will show you are interested and trying to engage.

It sounds like the disability team have let you down a bit by not forwarding the report and not being available at the moment as well.

Yeah I must admit I do feel a bit let down because I really feel like I’m doing all the chasing and the lady from disability team said she’s going on holiday so won’t have time to forward my report. I just feel like it’s a bit of a blaze attitude for a Russel group.

I’m chasing it as much as I can though.
Yeah I must admit I do feel a bit let down because I really feel like I’m doing all the chasing and the lady from disability team said she’s going on holiday so won’t have time to forward my report. I just feel like it’s a bit of a blaze attitude for a Russel group.

I’m chasing it as much as I can though.

Russel group doesn't guarantee good teaching or support, though.

It's not your fault, and IMO you shouldn't have to chase these things- especially on the PGCE when you just don't have time for that.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Russel group doesn't guarantee good teaching or support, though.

It's not your fault, and IMO you shouldn't have to chase these things- especially on the PGCE when you just don't have time for that.

I know I feel so tired already. I’m just chasing my tail only one week in
I know I feel so tired already. I’m just chasing my tail only one week in

Getting used to a new course is always going to be tiring, but the PGCE is tough, so do think about what you're doing and whether it's having results.

I would give the study group on Monday a try- don't worry about contributing etc necessarily- and then you have more evidence about whether it will/won't work for you.

I would also make a list of all the things you need to do and prioritise them as essential/urgent/non-essential/non-urgent and then just do what you can do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending