The Student Room Group

No Friends at Sixth Form

I started sixth form around 2 weeks ago, and I feel like I have no friends. I've done genuinely everything, introduced myself to people, signed up for clubs, talked to literally anyone that looked approachable. I try to be an active listener, ask about themselves but no one ever bothers to approach me. I know multiple people in sixth form (from my old school and new), but I don't feel like they like me. Either I'm too boring for them in comparison to my other friends or they just don't bother talking to me.

It's really disheartening when I know I'm doing literally everything I can, and I'm still the one that has to approach people and introduce myself. Like my physics partner just completely ignores me and I'm sat there the entire lesson trying to make conversation because we talk outside of lesson, but nothing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong? The only reason I can think of is they think I'm not approachable or I somehow gave a terrible first impression?
Any tips?
Reply 1
See how you get on for maybe a week or two more. Tell a teacher privately that you are struggling to make friends. I was in the same situation as you and i stayed and it was awful. If its the school environment move. If its an option you could go back to your old school or find a new school that the environment feels happy and welcoming. I've just moved to a new school and it is miles miles better than my last school i was at that i had moved to and i felt the exact same way as you. I was saying the same things as you. It's not you that's giving the wrong impression.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Louise!!
See how you get on for maybe a week or two more. Tell a teacher privately that you are struggling to make friends. I was in the same situation as you and i stayed and it was awful. If its the school environment move. If its an option you could go back to your old school or find a new school that the environment feels happy and welcoming. I've just moved to a new school and it is miles miles better than my last school i was at that i had moved to and i felt the exact same way as you. I was saying the same things as you. It's not you that's giving the wrong impression.

Thank you, unfortunately my old school is my secondary so it doesn't have a sixth form building :frown: Honestly, I'm debating on switching if this continues because the curriculum here is also very stressful, so I'll just wait a week or two to see how it goes and then I'll consider actually changing schools. Thank you for telling me that it's not me though :')) !!
Reply 3
Original post by m3t4noi4
Thank you, unfortunately my old school is my secondary so it doesn't have a sixth form building :frown: Honestly, I'm debating on switching if this continues because the curriculum here is also very stressful, so I'll just wait a week or two to see how it goes and then I'll consider actually changing schools. Thank you for telling me that it's not me though :')) !!

Ahhh that is so so annoying :mad:. Look if the curriculum is stressful I would change but definitely do wait a week or two ( Make a teacher aware of the difficulties with making friends) but you never know there could be a person who’d be friendly!! However if you feel that you aren’t getting on with the peer group I’d leave because honestly I feel like it’s the school environment that might be letting you down I don’t know but from my experience just do what you feel is right for yourself and your future too! No problem I’m really really hoping it gets better for you because that literally sucks cause you seem like such a nice person and the amount of effort you’re putting into making friends with that peer group is just not worth all your time :eek:.
honestly i have the same issue TT
this isn't much advice, just letting you know that you're not alone. I thought that going to sixth form would be fun because i come from a very small high-school. so I was looking forward to making new friends, and I even forced myself to talk to people first and joke around a little, even though i have anxiety. For some reason, it feels like people are more comfortable/ put in more effort with others?? im honestly exhausted.
Honestly, giving u my own advice that i keep telling myself, give it a few more weeks - keep trying but don't drain yourself out. Like make small talk, if they don't reciprocate then that's the end of the convo.

SIDE "RANT": the two girls on my table in my sociology class are SO boring, the only thing they talk about is how much they don't wanna be there PLUS they only make effort w each other even tho i sit between em. (Like they legit do not speak to me - but they dont know each other from skl or anything) makes me dread soc sm.

Anyway, goodluck on making friends i hope you find someone ^^
Reply 5
im also in this kind of situation as well!
although i joined a sixth form attached to a different secondary than the one i went to, and as an external student who is incredibly socially awkward, i also have found it hard to make any new friends. some people from my primary have talked to me but are not really interested - like your partner in physics :frown:
i would say just try to just keep persevering with people ( at least thats why im trying lol) because if you are gonna be in the same classes as them, you'll have to collaborate anyway (although if they arent having it, they arent worth your time which is just frustrating ik). it definitely isnt you thats the problem, its probably the combination of a new freedom and all the change - remember that we still have time to settle in and hopefully people will be nice to us lol!
as someone else said, you arent alone in this
good luck - you'll find someone to click with x
I started sixth form around 2 weeks ago, and I feel like I have no friends. I've done genuinely everything, introduced myself to people, signed up for clubs, talked to literally anyone that looked approachable. I try to be an active listener, ask about themselves but no one ever bothers to approach me. I know multiple people in sixth form (from my old school and new), but I don't feel like they like me. Either I'm too boring for them in comparison to my other friends or they just don't bother talking to me.

It's really disheartening when I know I'm doing literally everything I can, and I'm still the one that has to approach people and introduce myself. Like my physics partner just completely ignores me and I'm sat there the entire lesson trying to make conversation because we talk outside of lesson, but nothing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong? The only reason I can think of is they think I'm not approachable or I somehow gave a terrible first impression?
Any tips?

I started school nearly 4 weeks ago and I'm at the same situation. I've made countless of 'friends' but no one i truly like hanging out with or people who genuinely match my vibe like my old school (which i cant return to since ive had a clash with my old friends 😭).

What I've been doing is introducing myself to people and then sticking with them and following them into their friend groups, once I've situated myself in their group i see if i like the people in the group, etc. If not, i go and repeat it all!
I've found a group of friends I'd like to hang out with by doing this and at the same time have a good rs with a lot of ppl in case i need help in the future etc!
Hopefully next week I'll start hanging out with them without seeming weird.

Id say, approach them. Make convo and then during break or lunch approach them and just hang around them and slowly start introducing urself to the group.

Moving schools is such a hassle too so it'd be worth saving the embarrassment and just approaching people 😭
Original post by Anonymous
I started school nearly 4 weeks ago and I'm at the same situation. I've made countless of 'friends' but no one i truly like hanging out with or people who genuinely match my vibe like my old school (which i cant return to since ive had a clash with my old friends 😭).

What I've been doing is introducing myself to people and then sticking with them and following them into their friend groups, once I've situated myself in their group i see if i like the people in the group, etc. If not, i go and repeat it all!
I've found a group of friends I'd like to hang out with by doing this and at the same time have a good rs with a lot of ppl in case i need help in the future etc!

Id say, approach them. Make convo and then during break or lunch approach them and just hang around them and slowly start introducing urself to the group.

Moving schools is such a hassle too so it'd be worth saving the embarrassment and just approaching people 😭

Also its not worth hanging around people to not feel like a loner when they are clearly ignoring you or you can feel they dont like you! This happened with the other group i was in, only 3 ppl actually talked to me and made my feel welcomed but its not worth it when theres another group where everyone is welcoming you with open arms!

And if you feel like you've gone to every person you can, you can always spend ur lunch and break at home or studying?

Deffo talk to a teacher though, i have social anxiety so i had a buddy to help me around the school which is why i gained enough confidence to talk to people + the people in my school are so nice, even the boys (like they approach me for no reasons at all) which is a nice thing!
And honestly they looked so mean at first and they were really judgy with their comments about their peers but ig u cant rly judge anyone till you talk to them urself!

Any tips?

I have just started sixth form too (well a month ago) i know what you mean. I have made new friends but i feel like a second option as they speak to me more when they need someone. I feel like this more with my friends who i went to high school with they're more distant and serious and hide their lives more from people but ig its only 2 yrs after these 2 yrs we don't need to remember anyone but lowkey hurts being seen as a filler friend
Original post by Anonymous #1

I have just started sixth form too (well a month ago) i know what you mean. I have made new friends but i feel like a second option as they speak to me more when they need someone. I feel like this more with my friends who i went to high school with they're more distant and serious and hide their lives more from people but ig its only 2 yrs after these 2 yrs we don't need to remember anyone but lowkey hurts being seen as a filler friend

Honestly, atp im talking to others 😭
Reply 10

Any tips?

Ahh that sounds tough... I recently also started 6th form but I have stayed in the same school so I know a lot of the people already but I don't consider many of them as their friends. I know exactly how you feel when you say ut's disheartening when you are the one that is putting in so much effort! If I were you I would try to keep that up and hope someone good comes your way. I really wish you all the best. Do let us know how you are getting on :smile: You are not alone in this <3
Original post by Anonymous #1

IM BACK AND I'D LIKE TO HOPEFULLY GIVE YOU HOPE!

I was honestly distraught after I got ditched 3 days in a row when hanging out with the ppl i used to hang out w/. They litch walked out as soon as they saw me and it hurt ngl. Which is why I made the decision to leave them, they were better off as classmate friends and I accepted that. No point in forcing yourself to befriend someone and get hurt.

I found some BETTER friends and honestly I'm really happy. They accept me for who i am, include me in convos and i became friends with them by just tagging along one of my classmates.

SO, don't be discouragesd you will find good friends!

Any tips?

Unfortunately, it does sound like you've done everything you can. You can see if you can switch sixthforms or stay put. You're only 2 weeks in so im sure you'll meet someone. After christmass, many friendship groups leave, people leave and people still join. Thats what happened with mine.

Any tips?

I know how it feels, you can do all you can to get people to like you yet they don't, but you need to be comfortable with who you are. You don't need friends to feel a sense of belonging, what you're doing already shows you can put yourself out there unafraid and eager to interact.

I think what you should do is try to make friends with those you know are willing to do the same. For instance, I don't mind having a DM chat with you if you wanted to talk, but I know so many things flow through peoples mind about some dude online asking for a chat on the internet like fear of what that person is like, thinking it's creepy, and generally not wanting to communicate.

Life is about taking risks and you've taken many trying to talk to people, and even though people aren't reciprocating to you, there are always people who will, and those people you should be able to form friendships with. I don't expect people to be friends with me, but hey there's no harm in trying to form friendships and seeing where they go for yourself. Maybe you need to be bolder and ask to join in on activities and being there in a way that's inviting to other people.

Sorry for all this babbling, my point is be comfortable with yourself and try not to seek out friendships, just let things happen, keep an upbeat personality and a positive attitude and at some point you will connect.

Any tips?

don't worry, i'm currently in sixth form and have no friends because i dropped my toxic friends and the people in my year are very toxic as well so i've just decided to myself that i'd rather focus on myself :smile:) but anyways, i'd say give it some time and eventually you'll find some friends who'll stick by your side <3
Think of it this way. There's people who are compatible with you, and people who aren't. A certain percentage of the population out there is the former. If you get unlucky on the draw, then the former isn't included in the mix of people you get in your particular year group at your particular school in your particular area in your particular... you get the idea. It's just luck, rotten as it sounds.

You shouldn't have to change who you are. Do keep being friendly, but don't force yourself to become someone you aren't. Focus on what you can do for yourself, take care of yourself, treat yourself, and look forward to the day when you graduate and get to a world that's much, much bigger than your sixth form.

Take care! --- from someone who went through the same thing, and is now happy at uni with friendships I wouldn't have dreamed of back then xx

Any tips?

Hiii, I am sorry this advice is super late so pleasee update me on the situation to know if it has gotten any better :smile:. But I have literally just finished sixth form in 2023 and I am in my first year of uni now. I felt like that coming to sixth form as well. I moved to a new school for sixth form, in a new area we had just moved into, and therefore I was the only person from my school at my new sixth form. I would consider my self quite introverted so being in this new setting I had to really put myself out there too and speak to a lot of people as well. Honestly, it is such a blessing (in a weird way) the situation you are in now as it will teach you so many social skills which will help you later on in life. I think a lot of people tend to be hostile as they are scared to branch out, I remember a lot of people from my sixth form came in big groups with people they knew from secondary school, and wouldn't talk to people that they didn't know (my friend in this situation also admitted to me this). So for majority of Yr 12, I didn't really have a group of friends, I just use to talk to people and hang out with a lot of different people. And that is okay whilst you are all still getting to know each other :smile:, don't limit yourself to one group of people. I had some people that I hung around quite a bit towards the end of Yr 12 but I felt like they were not the people I should be friends with as their values didn't align with mine (I'm Christian as well so don't do the typical teenage things and I felt God had called me away from this friendship). Honestly, I was so reluctant to pull away because I didn't want to be "alone", but I did and it was honestly the best thing for me as I wasn't involved in all the petty dramas they were in and God blessed me so much and allowed me to grow in many ways. So that is also a lesson not to feel obliged to hang with people that are not good for you for the sake of not being "alone", you are never alone if you have God, and your growth is so important. I am trying to make this not too essay-like, but in Yr 13 (just before Christmas) is when I found my friend group and it was amazing these were people I didn't even notice until later on, and even though I am at uni in a different city and I don't see them everyday, we still talk to each other here and there. I thought I would never have friends and whilst they didn't come straight away, the wait was worth. So keep doing what you are doing and speak to absolutely everyone. Friendships will form organically just be patient and wait for the right ones. I pray that you are given the right company ones that will grow you and you them. :smile:

Any tips?

Not a tip but rather like yeah same. I started on Sept and still haven’t made any like proper friends.i joined as an external to the other local school and literally like none of “my people” go there. I’ve got some from my secondary but see them like once a week it’s just so lonely esp bc my twin has made lots of friends etc and I’m just here with no one. I debated leaving to the other sixth form a bit further out as I had friends from my secondary there but never got around to it and feel it’s to late now.
Original post by Anonymous #5

Any tips?

Not a tip but rather like yeah same. I started on Sept and still haven’t made any like proper friends.i joined as an external to the other local school and literally like none of “my people” go there. I’ve got some from my secondary but see them like once a week it’s just so lonely esp bc my twin has made lots of friends etc and I’m just here with no one. I debated leaving to the other sixth form a bit further out as I had friends from my secondary there but never got around to it and feel it’s to late now.

Same I made friends with a group of people but I kind of started to isolate myself and just ended up stopping myself from hanging out with them and I regret not staying at my old sixth form so much esp because all my friends seem to be enjoying it so much and are actually engaging with the content because they’re not distracted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending