The Student Room Group

Error In Personal Statement

I recently sent off my UCAS Application so I can't change anything.. I read over my PS thousands of times before sending it off - but today, when I was reading it again, I realised that everytime I talked about a book I'd read, I'd write is using quotation marks rather than inverted commas. E.g. I wrote that I read "The Economist" rather than 'The Economist.' I know its not that big a deal but I'm freaking out lol,, can someone give me some advice on what to do/ whether this will affect my chances at the unis may think I've got bad english?
Reply 1
That's fine! What Unis are looking for in your personal statement is why they should choose you for the course. Their judgement on your English will come from how you've worded the rest of the statement, not your use of quotation marks. It really won't affect your chances at all. Unis know that this is a stressful time for us, so they won't penalise you for such a small mistake.
Oh I know for a fact that it's been properly sent off to UCAS as I was with my school referee when he hit "send," after us checking through it multiple times together. :frown: I also got a couple other teachers to read it + even some alumni, yet none of us realised the mistake of using speech marks rather than inverted commas. I feel so scared rn lol..
Original post by Afferz
That's fine! What Unis are looking for in your personal statement is why they should choose you for the course. Their judgement on your English will come from how you've worded the rest of the statement, not your use of quotation marks. It really won't affect your chances at all. Unis know that this is a stressful time for us, so they won't penalise you for such a small mistake.

Thank you so much for the reassurance!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by confuzzledteen
Thank you so much for the reassurance!! :smile:

np :smile:

(now pray that I can manage to sort out all my UCAS stuff before October 16th lol)
Original post by Afferz
np :smile:

(now pray that I can manage to sort out all my UCAS stuff before October 16th lol)

Oo, are you applying to Oxbridge?
Just to confirm there's almost no chance this 'error' would make any difference at all.
Reply 7
I had to re-read several times to work out what the error even was.

I know someone who forgot to include a connective word in their final sentence, still got all the offers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending