The Student Room Group

If I do a

Veterinary Bioscience/ Veterinary Science degree can I become an actual Vet??

What does VB/VS mean, is it more the research side of vets or the actual surgery and practice side???

All help appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
A Veterinary bioscience (also sometimes called bioveterinary science) degree is a 3/4 year BSc degree that covers several aspects of veterinary medicine and animal biology, but will not qualify you to work as a vet. A Veterinary Science degree is a synonym for Veterinary medicine used by some veterinary schools- for example, Bristols veterinary degree goes by this title, and upon completion would qualify you as a vet. I have heard there is some difference between veterinary science and veterinary medicine, but I'm not entirely sure what this difference is other than in name- overall, both would qualify you as a vet.

If you do take a bioveterinary degree and want to train further as a vet, you will need to do either a 4 or 5-year veterinary medicine/science course after you graduate. Other careers within biovet other than becoming a vet do exist as far as I know- research being the main one :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by cmr98
A Veterinary bioscience (also sometimes called bioveterinary science) degree is a 3/4 year BSc degree that covers several aspects of veterinary medicine and animal biology, but will not qualify you to work as a vet. A Veterinary Science degree is a synonym for Veterinary medicine used by some veterinary schools- for example, Bristols veterinary degree goes by this title, and upon completion would qualify you as a vet. I have heard there is some difference between veterinary science and veterinary medicine, but I'm not entirely sure what this difference is other than in name- overall, both would qualify you as a vet.

If you do take a bioveterinary degree and want to train further as a vet, you will need to do either a 4 or 5-year veterinary medicine/science course after you graduate. Other careers within biovet other than becoming a vet do exist as far as I know- research being the main one :smile:

Ahhhhh ok ok

thanks

so i was meant to do my alevels but I got BBC, is there any point in me applying for VM/VB/VS?

What should my ratio of Veterinary nursing : Veterinary science/medicine/bioscience be when applying for UCAS??
my poor brain
Reply 4
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
Ahhhhh ok ok

thanks

so i was meant to do my alevels but I got BBC, is there any point in me applying for VM/VB/VS?

What should my ratio of Veterinary nursing : Veterinary science/medicine/bioscience be when applying for UCAS??

What subjects did you get those grades in? And which of those degrees do you want to apply for most- do you want to be a nurse or a vet? That will determine the ratio of nursing:medicine courses you apply for, and further, a personal statement written to satisfy both veterinary medicine and veterinary nursing panels will generally not be specific enough for either course. They tend to want to see why you want to be a vet or nurse specifically, so its best to narrow down a little which course you actually want! Judging from your name I assume you want to be a nurse, in which case you can apply to five courses- veterinary medicine allows only 4 applications.

If you want to be a nurse, those A levels should be great! The RVCs entry requirements for their veterinary nursing degrees is BCC, and I'm sure other universities are similar. Do some research and find out what universities you would like to apply to, and check their specific entry requirements.

The general requirements for veterinary medicine degrees are anywhere from AAA to A*AA for entry to the standard five-year programmes, so I would advise taking a look at some of the alternate routes to vetmed if that's what you wish to study. Your first option is resitting your A levels and aiming for entry to the standard 5-year programmes- I believe most vet schools this year will not begrudge resits due to the Covid situation. If you do not wish to resit, you should take a look at the gateway courses (run by Bristol, the RVC and Nottingham) which allow for lower entry requirements if you fit certain criteria- I believe its CCC at the RVC. These are 6 year-long programmes that include a foundation year, but be warned they are very competitive with many applicants to only a handful of places. There is also graduate-entry veterinary medicine, where you do a 3 year degree first (say in biovet), and then enter the 4 year grad course, but this is expensive and not generally recommended unless you will be able to self-fund 4 years of tuition fees.

It absolutely is still possible to get into veterinary medicine with your A levels so don't give up- I got the same grades! If you have your heart set on veterinary school, there is always the option of resitting your A levels and aiming for entry to the standard 5 year D100 Veterinary medicine course. As a graduate-entry student to VM myself, if you are considering taking bioveterinary solely for the prospect of applying for graduate entry VM, I should warn you it is a long and hard road- by the time I graduate I will have been in university for 8 years, and I have to pay my tuition fees for my veterinary degree at £9250 a year out of my own pocket. If your motivation for taking bioveterinary is this road, you would be significantly better off money-wise if you gave the gateway options a shot first :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending