The Student Room Group

Doing 3 A level Composite exams in one year, good idea?

Hi!

im 17, i started my AS at a college in Oxford last year, but due to some personal reasons I had to pull out few days before the A2 term started this month and went back to Pakistan. I was lost and did not know what to do, so after some advice i registered with this DLR (Distant learning provider) and will start studying a fast tracked course to try and attempt the paper in Summer 2021, for which ill fly to the UK to give.

The subjects I am doing are Economics(Edexcel), Sociology(AQA) and Law(AQA). Law and sociology i will start from scratch. I'm going to be giving the exams composite as due to some reasons at home too do not have 2 years to do the whole course again, and even if i do not do great in Summer 2021, i can re-try in Winter 2021.

I'm fully motivated and will continue to be so aswell, and the 1 year pressure will keep me working, but i question the practicality of it. I know when there is will there is a way, but is it for me to study enough to get As or A*s
i mean, nothing can really guarantee you getting As and A*s, you just gotta try your hardest and work smart. 3 a-levels in 1 year will be very intense, so you need to maintain a rigorous work ethic consistently. you're probably gonna struggle too as you have no prior knowledge of the subjects ie. you're not retaking but there are people who've done it so :dontknow:
Reply 2
Just to clarify, I this sounds as though you're taking domestic (not international) A levels in England. In that case:

A levels are always 'composite' - the exams for the full A level all have to take place in the same exam season (and there is no need to take AS exams at all.)

There is only one opportunity to take exams in each year, in May/June. There is no Winter season.

Reply 3
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yes, i just wrote it to clarify, they are domestic A levels per se. Are re-takes not available in October/November?!
Reply 4
Original post by slbangash
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yes, i just wrote it to clarify, they are domestic A levels per se. Are re-takes not available in October/November?!

There are this year, purely because of Covid, but normally exams are available only in the Summer.
Reply 5
Original post by absolutelysprout
i mean, nothing can really guarantee you getting As and A*s, you just gotta try your hardest and work smart. 3 a-levels in 1 year will be very intense, so you need to maintain a rigorous work ethic consistently. you're probably gonna struggle too as you have no prior knowledge of the subjects ie. you're not retaking but there are people who've done it so :dontknow:

but finishing 3 A level courses is possible yes, with enough time to practice past papers?
Original post by slbangash
but finishing 3 A level courses is possible yes, with enough time to practice past papers?

i guess if that's all your focus on, but you're going to have very long work days and you may struggle.

Quick Reply

Latest