The Student Room Group

Gym subscription keeps taking money from me when I cancelled months ago!!!

Okay I am so angry, a gym membership which I CANCELLED IN JANUARY of this year has been taking £30 out of my account every month. I even have cancelled my direct debit on my account but they’ve still managed to take money from me. I have called the gym on numerous accounts telling them and they’ve said it’s all been cancelled and I will be refunded but money is still being taken out of my account. I’m literally a student living on my savings I don’t know what to do help? How would I go about reporting them

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don’t know!!!!! I’m actually panicking about how this is possible because I thought when you cancel your direct debit on your account then they can’t take money out but I’ve just checked and they’ve taken another £30 out of my account! I’m so upset I’m literally broke! I’ve called them so many times telling them to cancel it and they say it’s been cancelled but they’re still taking money from me?
Reply 2
Okay I will definitely do that in the morning. But do you know how I would go about reporting them or something if they continue to literally steal from me
Reply 3
Original post by setarexhx
Okay I am so angry, a gym membership which I CANCELLED IN JANUARY of this year has been taking £30 out of my account every month. I even have cancelled my direct debit on my account but they’ve still managed to take money from me. I have called the gym on numerous accounts telling them and they’ve said it’s all been cancelled and I will be refunded but money is still being taken out of my account. I’m literally a student living on my savings I don’t know what to do help? How would I go about reporting them

what gym is it?

name and shame please.
Go to your bank and cancel it
Reply 5
Depends on sort of payment set up if they are a scam company there can be a loophole that means bank cannot stop it. But bank will tell you if that is the case. Talk to the fraud dept at bank.They can advise you and refund any future payments taken.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6

Are you sure that you weren't paying via Continuous Payment Authority?
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
Are you sure that you weren't paying via Continuous Payment Authority?

How do you get out of that?
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
How do you get out of that?

Contact the bank.
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom
Contact the bank.

Yes this is what I was referring to last night just could not remember what it was called.
Reply 10
Original post by Scotney
Yes this is what I was referring to last night just could not remember what it was called.

In which case you were wrong. A bank can always cease a CPA.
Original post by IWMTom
In which case you were wrong. A bank can always cease a CPA.

Okay what about when you stupidly sign up for a free trial of a skin cream for the price of postage and then find they are taking £89.00 a month out of your account. What is that called and don't say stupidity! 🙄
Reply 12
Original post by Scotney
Okay what about when you stupidly sign up for a free trial of a skin cream for the price of postage and then find they are taking £89.00 a month out of your account. What is that called and don't say stupidity! 🙄

Well, it is stupidity.

It's your fault for not reading the terms and conditions. This is not your bank's fault.

Presumably you were entitled to cancel? Monthly contract and cancelled after min notice period?
What have your bank said?
Ask the bank to reimburse you.
If they payment came off your card then tell the bank you wish to initiate chargeback (thats a process where the bank can seek to cancel payments wrongly taken on a card) plus put an asolute block on money being paid to them.

Speak to the consumer helpline, but if the bak wont/ cant do anything then you will have to sue them or at least put a letter before action stating you will do so unless you get the refund.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/

Its easier to get the bank to sort it.
1. Get payments stopped.
2. Get bank to do anything it can to refund. Chargeback etc. It all depends on the situation. You may need to provide proof you cnancelled properly in Jan.
3. Consumer helpline and letter before action.

You need to push this because a lot of gyms imo will not reopoen or are on shaky finances.
Original post by Scotney

Lols are you being serious?
Has this just happened?
Why didnt you post it on here?

1. Read the terms.
2. ID whether they are entitled
3. ID cancellation and proceed..
4. Normally on these things its about cancelling before you incur liability.
5. You may find they are entitled or not entitled.
6. Its important to end the agreement if its not what you want.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/
Original post by IWMTom
Well, it is stupidity.

It's your fault for not reading the terms and conditions. This is not your bank's fault.

I did not say it was banks fault but there was no mention of it in terms and conditions. It is a common scam and banks know about it but told me they are powerless to stop it. I did get the company to back off and refund money but just wondered what term was.
Reply 16
Original post by Scotney
I did not say it was banks fault but there was no mention of it in terms and conditions. It is a common scam and banks know about it but told me they are powerless to stop it. I did get the company to back off and refund money but just wondered what term was.

Suuuuure there isn't..

Let's face facts - you were just too naive to actually read the small print.
Original post by IWMTom
Suuuuure there isn't..

Let's face facts - you were just too naive to actually read the small print.

Well I spent a lot of time trying to find that line believe me!It was not there.
Reply 18
Original post by Scotney
Well I spent a lot of time trying to find that line believe me!It was not there.

Uh huh.. go on then.. what was this website?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2945236/Bank-warns-free-skin-cream-costs-80-month-Thousands-mistakenly-signing-subscriptions-registering-free-samples-online.html
No idea but here is article about similiar items.It was ages ago but as I said at the start I just wondered what the technical term was.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending