Gym subscription keeps taking money from me when I cancelled months ago!!!

Watch
setarexhx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Okay I am so angry, a gym membership which I CANCELLED IN JANUARY of this year has been taking £30 out of my account every month. I even have cancelled my direct debit on my account but they’ve still managed to take money from me. I have called the gym on numerous accounts telling them and they’ve said it’s all been cancelled and I will be refunded but money is still being taken out of my account. I’m literally a student living on my savings I don’t know what to do help? How would I go about reporting them
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by setarexhx)
...I even have cancelled my direct debit on my account but they’ve still managed to take money from me...
How is this possible? Have you not spoken to your bank?
setarexhx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
How is this possible? Have you not spoken to your bank?
I don’t know!!!!! I’m actually panicking about how this is possible because I thought when you cancel your direct debit on your account then they can’t take money out but I’ve just checked and they’ve taken another £30 out of my account! I’m so upset I’m literally broke! I’ve called them so many times telling them to cancel it and they say it’s been cancelled but they’re still taking money from me?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t know!!!!! I’m actually panicking about how this is possible because I thought when you cancel your direct debit on your account then they can’t take money out but I’ve just checked and they’ve taken another £30 out of my account! I’m so upset I’m literally broke! I’ve called them so many times telling them to cancel it and they say it’s been cancelled but they’re still taking money from me?
I think you haven't spoken to your bank... so the direct debit is not cancelled.

Don't call the gym, call your bank - first priority.
setarexhx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
I think you haven't spoken to your bank... so the direct debit is not cancelled.

Don't call the gym, call your bank - first priority.
Okay I will definitely do that in the morning. But do you know how I would go about reporting them or something if they continue to literally steal from me
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay I will definitely do that in the morning. But do you know how I would go about reporting them or something if they continue to literally steal from me
Cancel the direct debit first. Then get a statement from your bank to show that you have been paying them for the last X months.

Write a letter / an email to te gym, attaching the statement and ask for your money back. That should be your first step.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay I am so angry, a gym membership which I CANCELLED IN JANUARY of this year has been taking £30 out of my account every month. I even have cancelled my direct debit on my account but they’ve still managed to take money from me. I have called the gym on numerous accounts telling them and they’ve said it’s all been cancelled and I will be refunded but money is still being taken out of my account. I’m literally a student living on my savings I don’t know what to do help? How would I go about reporting them
what gym is it?

name and shame please.
Scottishlad888
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go to your bank and cancel it
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Depends on sort of payment set up if they are a scam company there can be a loophole that means bank cannot stop it. But bank will tell you if that is the case. Talk to the fraud dept at bank.They can advise you and refund any future payments taken.
Last edited by Scotney; 3 weeks ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you sure that you weren't paying via Continuous Payment Authority?
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Are you sure that you weren't paying via Continuous Payment Authority?
How do you get out of that?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Scotney)
How do you get out of that?
Contact the bank.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Contact the bank.
Yes this is what I was referring to last night just could not remember what it was called.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes this is what I was referring to last night just could not remember what it was called.
In which case you were wrong. A bank can always cease a CPA.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In which case you were wrong. A bank can always cease a CPA.
Okay what about when you stupidly sign up for a free trial of a skin cream for the price of postage and then find they are taking £89.00 a month out of your account. What is that called and don't say stupidity! 🙄
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay what about when you stupidly sign up for a free trial of a skin cream for the price of postage and then find they are taking £89.00 a month out of your account. What is that called and don't say stupidity! 🙄
Well, it is stupidity.

It's your fault for not reading the terms and conditions. This is not your bank's fault.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Presumably you were entitled to cancel? Monthly contract and cancelled after min notice period?
What have your bank said?
Ask the bank to reimburse you.
If they payment came off your card then tell the bank you wish to initiate chargeback (thats a process where the bank can seek to cancel payments wrongly taken on a card) plus put an asolute block on money being paid to them.

Speak to the consumer helpline, but if the bak wont/ cant do anything then you will have to sue them or at least put a letter before action stating you will do so unless you get the refund.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...onsumer-issue/

Its easier to get the bank to sort it.
1. Get payments stopped.
2. Get bank to do anything it can to refund. Chargeback etc. It all depends on the situation. You may need to provide proof you cnancelled properly in Jan.
3. Consumer helpline and letter before action.

You need to push this because a lot of gyms imo will not reopoen or are on shaky finances.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Lols are you being serious?
Has this just happened?
Why didnt you post it on here?

1. Read the terms.
2. ID whether they are entitled
3. ID cancellation and proceed..
4. Normally on these things its about cancelling before you incur liability.
5. You may find they are entitled or not entitled.
6. Its important to end the agreement if its not what you want.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...onsumer-issue/
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well, it is stupidity.

It's your fault for not reading the terms and conditions. This is not your bank's fault.
I did not say it was banks fault but there was no mention of it in terms and conditions. It is a common scam and banks know about it but told me they are powerless to stop it. I did get the company to back off and refund money but just wondered what term was.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did not say it was banks fault but there was no mention of it in terms and conditions. It is a common scam and banks know about it but told me they are powerless to stop it. I did get the company to back off and refund money but just wondered what term was.
Suuuuure there isn't..

Let's face facts - you were just too naive to actually read the small print.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (184)
28.93%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (105)
16.51%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.12%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.33%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
8.02%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.97%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.97%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.14%

Watched Threads