The Student Room Group

Used old car or brand new

I’m not sure if I should get an old car or a new one. I went to a dealership was locking at a Ford Fiesta zetec 3 door 2009 and a ex demo Aygo JBL edition. We went to look at the Fiesta but I walked past the Aygo and thought it was pretty nice so I had a look round it, I found it nice, the jbl sound system was good and I feel like it’s got a good design. I just like the Fiesta so I’m in 2 minds to get the Aygo or Fiesta. I also had a look at a Citroen C1, I don’t really like French cars but even that felt nice, it’s got a roof that opens up on the top and has a touch screen which I think would be good to have. The c1 has a nice looking exterior as well in my opinion. I spoke to my friend and he was saying stick to the Ford. Some other people have said stick to the Ford as well. I’m a bit unsure coz the Ford seems really nice as well
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
The C1 is literally the same car as the Aygo but with difference bumpers and headlights.

The Aygo and Fiesta are different classes of cars. The Fiesta will have more interior room, a bigger boot, and better NVH isolation so it'll be quieter on the motorway. The Aygo will probably be more fuel efficient and will be more nimble and easier to park around town.

The Yaris is equal to the Fiesta, and the Ka is equal to the Aygo.
Reply 3
Original post by Nuffles
The C1 is literally the same car as the Aygo but with difference bumpers and headlights.

The Aygo and Fiesta are different classes of cars. The Fiesta will have more interior room, a bigger boot, and better NVH isolation so it'll be quieter on the motorway. The Aygo will probably be more fuel efficient and will be more nimble and easier to park around town.

The Yaris is equal to the Fiesta, and the Ka is equal to the Aygo.

Alright cheers
Original post by Fuxis
I’m not sure if I should get an old car or a new one. I went to a dealership was locking at a Ford Fiesta zetec 3 door 2009 and a ex demo Aygo JBL edition. We went to look at the Fiesta but I walked past the Aygo and thought it was pretty nice so I had a look round it, I found it nice, the jbl sound system was good and I feel like it’s got a good design. I just like the Fiesta so I’m in 2 minds to get the Aygo or Fiesta. I also had a look at a Citroen C1, I don’t really like French cars but even that felt nice, it’s got a roof that opens up on the top and has a touch screen which I think would be good to have. The c1 has a nice looking exterior as well in my opinion. I spoke to my friend and he was saying stick to the Ford. Some other people have said stick to the Ford as well. I’m a bit unsure coz the Ford seems really nice as well

Get insurance quotes. I'd go for secondhand, but make sure that you are paying a fair price and have it indepently inspected.
Reply 5
Original post by RogerOxon
Get insurance quotes. I'd go for secondhand, but make sure that you are paying a fair price and have it indepently inspected.

Alright
I would not let any preconceptions about 'French cars' affect your decision. As above, the Aygo/C1/108 are all built in the same factories and then finished off with details from their respective manufacturers. They are all absolutely fine but are small city cars designed for moving two people and shopping around for short/medium trips. Yes, you can get 4 people in and do longer journeys but not necessarily that comfortably. If its your first car only you will know if that is important to you.

I would not buy new so my shortlist for my first car was basically a used/low mileage: Fiesta, Yaris, 208 or C3. The difference in costs for buying and running one of those versus an Aygo/C1/108 was so small as to be negligable plus they were considerably more practical.

I ended up with a C3 as I found a cheap one, but in all honesty you are unlikely to experience many problems with a lower mileage example of any of those.
Cars lose most of their worth in their first two years. You can get cars like that from the official dealerships if you want and they're much better value.
Is it your first car? My mindset was to get a second hand car which could take a bump or scratch while I'm new to driving, and you can get some really nice low mileage ones if you dig enough. I'd be gutted if I paid ££££ for a brand new car and it got scuffed :yikes:
Original post by overalltea
Is it your first car? My mindset was to get a second hand car which could take a bump or scratch while I'm new to driving, and you can get some really nice low mileage ones if you dig enough. I'd be gutted if I paid ££££ for a brand new car and it got scuffed :yikes:

I'm the same, I've scraped/scuffed 3 of 4 cars I've had so far and it's been no big deal, and hour or so's work with polish/paint (my last one was a doozy tho).. but doing that with a new car and knowing i'd just ripped £5k odd off the value with a scuff would break me :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending