The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Accommodation at Swansea uni

I'm considering Adult Nursing at Swansea uni in the 2021 application. However, i'm a bit confused about the accommodation. From the looks of the website, there's halls on site but no shops or anything nearby, so unsure. I've read that some students stay in central Swansea and travel in. Any advise would be appreciated, as i'm not from the area. Oh and i'm 25 if that makes any difference haha :smile:
Nursing is likely to take place on the Singleton campus. There are cafes there, a bank, a cost cutter and a travel shop. The city centre about 2 miles away has a shopping centre with the likes of Debenhams, M&S, Next, River Island, Top Shop, Primark and many more. It also houses Swansea Indoor market which is Wales largest and has recently been awarded the UKs best large indoor market.

In the city centre there is a large Tesco and also a Sainsbury's. Buses go regularly from the campus to the city centre.

There are a number of halls on campus which house approximately 1200 students. There is a direct bus to the student village 2 miles away which has about 700 rooms. In addition there is a new campus approx 5 miles away which has 2000 rooms and buses link the 2 campuses.

If you prefer there are a number of private providers in the city centre. There are Student Roost, Coppergate and Omnia Space.There are currently 3 other halls currently under construction which are meant to be ready for next September.

One of the main issues you will need to consider for next year is how you will travel to placements. I assume you will be posted at Morriston which is some distance away so you will need to look into how you will get there. Generally students cannot park on campus and I dont know if special provisions are made for students. The student village does have car parking but I dont know whether that will still be open. This was due to be the last year for students there but the last thing Iheard is that the university were in discussions about having it longer.

The university has a specific hall Beck House for mature students. That is in the Uplands close to shops. It is a 15 minute walk to the campus so that could be another option. It is likely many of the nursing students will be older so maybe you can contact the college for further advice about where is best to stay.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodation-options/singleton-campus/
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodation-options/hendrefoelan/
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodation-options/beck-house/
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodation-options/bay-campus/
http://www.studentroost.co.uk/
https://www.primestudentliving.com/swansea/
https://omniaspace.co.uk/accommodation-location/swansea/
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?
q=swansea+student+videos&docid=607987728044329449&mid=37899C6FD1C6882B36FF37899C6FD1C6882B36FF&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+student+videos&docid=608045645645744102&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
@Swansea University Enquiries @Swansea University Residential Services Are you able to advise whether there are special rules regarding parking on Singleton campus for Nurses or how they get to placements
Original post by swanseajack1
@Swansea University Enquiries @Swansea University Residential Services Are you able to advise whether there are special rules regarding parking on Singleton campus for Nurses or how they get to placements

Hi @therealscript96 :hello:

As far as I am aware, those who want to park on campus apply for a parking permit. If you'd like I can see what other information I can find out for nursing students?

I would also recommend getting in touch with some of our current students, I'm sure they'll be able to give you some info and their own tips and tricks! You can chat with them here :smile:

As @swanseajack1 said, we have plenty of amenities on campus for students. When it comes to accommodation it mostly just comes down to personal preferences and weighing up cost/convenience. We also have on campus accommodation with designated areas, such as alcohol free, welsh speaking and quiet zones which may interest you. If you'd like to know more then let me know!

I hope this has been of some help!

- Mia, enquiries assistant :smile:
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi @therealscript96 :hello:

As far as I am aware, those who want to park on campus apply for a parking permit. If you'd like I can see what other information I can find out for nursing students?

I would also recommend getting in touch with some of our current students, I'm sure they'll be able to give you some info and their own tips and tricks! You can chat with them here :smile:

As @swanseajack1 said, we have plenty of amenities on campus for students. When it comes to accommodation it mostly just comes down to personal preferences and weighing up cost/convenience. We also have on campus accommodation with designated areas, such as alcohol free, welsh speaking and quiet zones which may interest you. If you'd like to know more then let me know!

I hope this has been of some help!

- Mia, enquiries assistant :smile:

It is rare for the university giving parking permits to students living on campus. Can you check whether there are different rules for Nursing students who have placements off campus in hospitals or the community. Also do the university provide transport to and from placements in Morriston Hospital.
It is rare for the university giving parking permits to students living on campus. Can you check whether there are different rules for Nursing students who have placements off campus in hospitals or the community. Also do the university provide transport to and from placements in Morriston Hospital.

Parking is allocated to a small number of students across all disciplines - the eligibility criteria is available here, unfortunately it's not possible to provide permits to all healthcare students and we encourage students and staff to use sustainable travel options wherever possible! :smile:

The University doesn't provide transport to placements, although, buses go directly from Campus to Morriston Hospital.

Placements will be where the clinical competencies need to be signed off. They can be in hospitals, Community Centres, Residential Homes, patients own homes and out in rural communities. We do also have the option of additional funding for travel expenses which can be applied for.

We have a Student Experience Team dedicated to placements and they can provide updated information on this subject, so if you have any further queries I would recommend getting in touch with them as they're the experts :h: their email is: [email protected]

I hope this helps @therealscript96 @swansea jack1!

- Mia :smile:
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Parking is allocated to a small number of students across all disciplines - the eligibility criteria is available here, unfortunately it's not possible to provide permits to all healthcare students and we encourage students and staff to use sustainable travel options wherever possible! :smile:

The University doesn't provide transport to placements, although, buses go directly from Campus to Morriston Hospital.

Placements will be where the clinical competencies need to be signed off. They can be in hospitals, Community Centres, Residential Homes, patients own homes and out in rural communities. We do also have the option of additional funding for travel expenses which can be applied for.

We have a Student Experience Team dedicated to placements and they can provide updated information on this subject, so if you have any further queries I would recommend getting in touch with them as they're the experts :h: their email is: [email protected]

I hope this helps @therealscript96 @swansea jack1!

- Mia :smile:

It helps to a degree. I dont know what time nursing students start but nursing shifts at Morriston Hospital start at 7am. The first bus from Singleton doesnt leave until 7.15 am and arrives at Morriston at 8.09. The buses used to go earlier. Coming back is covered 19.43 arriving at 20.37. Unless students start later than the normal shifts then there is problem getting to Morriston without a car or some form of travel. The placement team might be best placed to answer the query.
It helps to a degree. I dont know what time nursing students start but nursing shifts at Morriston Hospital start at 7am. The first bus from Singleton doesnt leave until 7.15 am and arrives at Morriston at 8.09. The buses used to go earlier. Coming back is covered 19.43 arriving at 20.37. Unless students start later than the normal shifts then there is problem getting to Morriston without a car or some form of travel. The placement team might be best placed to answer the query.

Indeed, the placement team will be best to advise as it's their area of expertise :h:

Quick Reply

Latest