The Student Room Group

A-Level Geography NEA

Hey guys,

How long were your geography NEA? I am currently doing mine and im about quarter way through, but have written 6k words. I have made sure its not waffle though. Let me know whether you think I should cut it down.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mine when it was finished was 22,000 words. Sounds like you're doing just right to me.
Reply 2
Original post by Deggs_14
Mine when it was finished was 22,000 words. Sounds like you're doing just right to me.

hahahaha yes omg u don't know how relieved I am. I thought I was the only one. Woah 22k words.... going to be pulling all nighter tomorrow to reach that. What did you get in the end? Please be an A*
Reply 3
Original post by Raja12
hahahaha yes omg u don't know how relieved I am. I thought I was the only one. Woah 22k words.... going to be pulling all nighter tomorrow to reach that. What did you get in the end? Please be an A*

Yes I achieved 60/60 in my NEA and an A* in the exam which I didn't take due to Covid :P
Reply 4
Yes I achieved 60/60 in my NEA and an A* in the exam which I didn't take due to Covid :P

only if I was able to read that absolute Lamborghini of nea. how did you get 60/60? wait isn't it 70 marks? I do edexcel oop.

Im using 7 techniques for my nea on success of regeneration on Stratford... some which I can remember are environmental quality survey, land use, footfall count, traffic count, noise assessment and others.

any tips?
Reply 5

22k words?? Wow. My teacher wouldn't let us write that much, she is reluctant for us to write over 4000 words which is going to be impossible fo me to stick to. What was your NEA on? Also, in the first section (area 1-introduction and preliminary research) did you analyse the reliability of sources and literature? I'm really confused about that, I'm currently trying to write it.
Reply 6
Original post by i77
22k words?? Wow. My teacher wouldn't let us write that much, she is reluctant for us to write over 4000 words which is going to be impossible fo me to stick to. What was your NEA on? Also, in the first section (area 1-introduction and preliminary research) did you analyse the reliability of sources and literature? I'm really confused about that, I'm currently trying to write it.

My introduction was about 4000 words. I don't think 4000 words is sufficient for a full A-level standard geographical inquiry, that's more what I did for GCSE coursework where your teacher tells you what to do. Seems like maybe your teacher has missed the mark a bit (?). As part of my introduction yes I explained what the literature / model I used was, how I would use it in the investigation, and then critiqued / explained some of the possible limitations or considerations about the literature I used. Make sure you're not simply explaining "positives and negatives" or "advantages and disadvantages". Contextualise the model / literature that you have used for the hypothesis of your investigation, explain how and why you chose this model and why you've selected it, the benefits / important features of this theory, and then any limitations / discontinuities between your investigation and the model. (Talk about scale, seasonality, applicability, etc).

My NEA project was investigating the relationship between stream discharge and sediment angularity / roundness along a local river where I travelled to in Somerset. I'm a first year studying geography at university now, if you have any more questions feel free to post them here or PM me if you prefer. Best wishes :smile:
Reply 7
My introduction was about 4000 words. I don't think 4000 words is sufficient for a full A-level standard geographical inquiry, that's more what I did for GCSE coursework where your teacher tells you what to do. Seems like maybe your teacher has missed the mark a bit (?). As part of my introduction yes I explained what the literature / model I used was, how I would use it in the investigation, and then critiqued / explained some of the possible limitations or considerations about the literature I used. Make sure you're not simply explaining "positives and negatives" or "advantages and disadvantages". Contextualise the model / literature that you have used for the hypothesis of your investigation, explain how and why you chose this model and why you've selected it, the benefits / important features of this theory, and then any limitations / discontinuities between your investigation and the model. (Talk about scale, seasonality, applicability, etc).

My NEA project was investigating the relationship between stream discharge and sediment angularity / roundness along a local river where I travelled to in Somerset. I'm a first year studying geography at university now, if you have any more questions feel free to post them here or PM me if you prefer. Best wishes :smile:

hey, I have included the calculations for mean.... is that fine or should I remove that and just write the final answer for mean?
Reply 8
Original post by Raja12
hey, I have included the calculations for mean.... is that fine or should I remove that and just write the final answer for mean?

No make sure you’ve included any calculations, but if it’s long and disinteresting / irrelevant working out then you should add this as an appendix at the end of your document. But have you considered other methods of statistical tendency and dispersion such as calculating the standard deviation or a statistical test for your data (if applicable)?
Reply 9
No make sure you’ve included any calculations, but if it’s long and disinteresting / irrelevant working out then you should add this as an appendix at the end of your document. But have you considered other methods of statistical tendency and dispersion such as calculating the standard deviation or a statistical test for your data (if applicable)?

I was going to do that for something else. but I don't know which technique to use it for. The techniques that im doing are:
-survey questionnaire
-traffic count
-footfall count
-land use survey
-environmental quality survey
-noise assessment levels
-field sketch/photographs
-secondary data comparison such as census data or imd

let me know which one you think standard deviation works best for
Reply 10
hey guys,

can I use Mann-whitney u test for footfall count? I have got footfall count for 3 sites. So, I can compare the site with the highest level of footfall count with the 2 other sites, individually. Let me know if this is correct
Reply 11

You did GCSE coursework? We didn't, it's not on the new GCSE syllabus at least for AQA 9-1. And yeah it doesn't sound like much but I think that's the word count that AQA recommends and my teacher has got lots of people in the past full marks and I assume they didn't go much over. Anyway, I'll just focus on covering everything rather than the word count.
Thank you for the tips about writing my introduction, that's really helpful!
Original post by Raja12
only if I was able to read that absolute Lamborghini of nea. how did you get 60/60? wait isn't it 70 marks? I do edexcel oop.

Im using 7 techniques for my nea on success of regeneration on Stratford... some which I can remember are environmental quality survey, land use, footfall count, traffic count, noise assessment and others.

any tips?

Heyy, would you be able to complete my questionnaire on Stratford’s environment? :smile: should only take 2 mins and I’m still collecting data for my geo nea, my limits 10k words btw for reference https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LFCDNC3

Wow that’s equivalent to uni work! My teacher said to write a max of 5000 words for aqa
Reply 14
Original post by SparkleFace
Wow that’s equivalent to uni work! My teacher said to write a max of 5000 words for aqa

Hmm that still doesn't seem long enough for me.
Anyway, do you study geography at university? :biggrin:

Hey! Hope you don’t mind me asking, but for the data presentation+analysis section, do you have any tips on how to get it into the top band(s), my analysis is pretty basic atm but I don’t know what to do to bump it up! :smile:

Haha nope I’m just guessing because it seems very loooooooong :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by SparkleFace
Haha nope I’m just guessing because it seems very loooooooong :smile:

I think I did spend a lot more time on it than I should have haha but it worked out in the end.
Reply 18
Original post by laurawatt
Hey! Hope you don’t mind me asking, but for the data presentation+analysis section, do you have any tips on how to get it into the top band(s), my analysis is pretty basic atm but I don’t know what to do to bump it up! :smile:

My biggest advice is to use the mark scheme for the NEA and see what type of language they use for the highest band of marking. Maybe if you described your analysis as “basic” have you just written something like advantages and disadvantages of the data or the graphs / charts that you’ve produced? I would say try to think about the critiques and limitations of your data as just opposed to disadvantages. For the positive side of the explanations, refer to the relevance and relationships between the conclusions and analyses you’ve made from the data. Sorry I can’t really give more specific advice and I probably just sound like your teacher haha. I would also recommend using the free website version of ArcGis which is useful if you want to plot some place specific data etc.
Original post by Raja12
I was going to do that for something else. but I don't know which technique to use it for. The techniques that im doing are:
-survey questionnaire
-traffic count
-footfall count
-land use survey
-environmental quality survey
-noise assessment levels
-field sketch/photographs
-secondary data comparison such as census data or imd

let me know which one you think standard deviation works best for

I’ve been told max 6 of primary/secondary data?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending