The Student Room Group

Can you mention Covid in your personal statement?

I want to apply for primary education but due to covid I couldn't, my teachers telling me I need to look - which i'll try, but ultimately I understand if they refuse.

Would I be able to mention this in my personal statement?

Edit: I'm talking about finding work experience.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by xmona
I want to apply for primary education but due to covid I couldn't, my teachers telling me I need to look - which i'll try, but ultimately I understand if they refuse.

I'm confused, why did covid mean you can't apply for primary Ed? And what are teachers telling you to look for?
Reply 2
Original post by xmona

Things of this nature better fit in the reference AFAIK.
Original post by L-K
I'm confused, why did covid mean you can't apply for primary Ed? And what are teachers telling you to look for?

Apologies, my mind was elsewhere when typing this. I meant work experience. My teacher's telling me to look for work experience right now.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm not really sure that you can include it. Something helpful is to email the course at the unis you want to go to and see what advice they can give you. Some might recommend virtual work experience that you can do.
Reply 5
Original post by xmona
Apologies, my mind was elsewhere when typing this. I meant work experience. My teachers telling me to look for work experience right now.

Ah I see, you're very unlikely to be able to get work experience at the moment (I'm a teacher), but most unis have waived the requirement to get work experience due to covid. Instead you can get reading news on tes, look at educational research on the EEF, go to virtual education conferences (there are loads at the moment and they are usually free) or get on twitter and get networking.
Also you can absolutely mention covid in your personal statement e.g. 'after plans for in person work experience were put on hold due to coronavirus, I decided to do this instead...' then explain how that gave you an insight into life as a teacher and what about it you found interesting.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending