The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

How hard is KCL to get into, realistically?

Hi everyone, I am wanting to apply to Kings this year. I am aware that it is a great university, so it is obviously very competitive. I’ve always known this, however lately I have been quite worried about not getting an offer due to how hard it is to be accepted. I am Scottish, and up here it is highly discouraged to apply to any English unis, for many reasons but mostly because they don’t understand our qualifications, making it very hard for even the smartest students to even get an offer. Many of my teachers just tell me there’s no point in applying because they will reject me as they might not understand our qualifications and will reject me based on that. This has been worrying me a lot lately, as while I know its hard for all students to get in, I’m worried that they won’t accept my qualifications and I will just be rejected because I dont have A levels. If there’s no way I would get an offer, I might just be best applying to another uni up here, which will understand my qualifications. This would be very disappointing as KCL is my dream uni, the course and year abroad opportunities are amazing, and I love the campus and London, (even if it is expensive!!!)
Any advice or feeback would be appreciated, thank you all so much
Hi, I don't think that the thing about English unis not understanding Scottish qualifications is true, at least from what I've heard! The admissions teams at all English universities, especially the most prestigious ones like Kings, know about all the education systems around the world, including the Scottish one.
Also, as long as you meet the entry requirements for Kings (I'm not sure what the Scottish ER's are, but in A-Level they are usually A*AA, translating to very high but not perfect grades), you have great teacher references, a thorough personal statement and you have done wider reading around the degree you are applying to, I think you'll be fine.
Unlike universities like Oxford, Kings isn't as hard to get into. I'm not saying it's easy but as long as you are an exceptional student, you stand a very good chance of getting in.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Don't worry about applying an English uni. I'm pretty sure there are several hundreds of Scots in King's. So you won't be disadvantaged.

KCL is comparably an easy one to get into among the best English unis. You are very likely to get an offer if you meet their posted requirements.
Original post by megascream
Don't worry about applying an English uni. I'm pretty sure there are several hundreds of Scots in King's. So you won't be disadvantaged.

KCL is comparably an easy one to get into among the best English unis. You are very likely to get an offer if you meet their posted requirements.

Original post by chloenix
Hi, I don't think that the thing about English unis not understanding Scottish qualifications is true, at least from what I've heard! The admissions teams at all English universities, especially the most prestigious ones like Kings, know about all the education systems around the world, including the Scottish one.
Also, as long as you meet the entry requirements for Kings (I'm not sure what the Scottish ER's are, but in A-Level they are usually A*AA, translating to very high but not perfect grades), you have great teacher references, a thorough personal statement and you have done wider reading around the degree you are applying to, I think you'll be fine.
Unlike universities like Oxford, Kings isn't as hard to get into. I'm not saying it's easy but as long as you are an exceptional student, you stand a very good chance of getting in.

Thank you guys so much!

Quick Reply

Latest