The Student Room Group

Graduate - Cant get a job!!!!

I am literally failing getting onto any graduate programmes which I have applied to loads. I can't even get a damn customer service job as I need to earn something within the time-being. Also, I know grad schemes are very competitive to get into...but job roles that arent programmes/schemes require so much experience that I dont have, hence why I am attracted to grad schemes more but cant get onto them! erghhhh . I do receive career advice from uni and get feedback on my CV but this is getting s stressful as I need to start earning atleast something soon.

So many programmes have started closing now...does anyone know a good web to be able to find open roles and anywhere I can find remote jobs to do in meantime?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maris499
I am literally failing getting onto any graduate programmes which I have applied to loads. I can't even get a damn customer service job as I need to earn something within the time-being. Also, I know grad schemes are very competitive to get into...but job roles that arent programmes/schemes require so much experience that I dont have, hence why I am attracted to grad schemes more but cant get onto them! erghhhh . I do receive career advice from uni and get feedback on my CV but this is getting s stressful as I need to start earning atleast something soon.

So many programmes have started closing now...does anyone know a good web to be able to find open roles and anywhere I can find remote jobs to do in meantime?

Yeah its difficult for a lot of people at the moment, just need to keep going at it in the hope one role pulls through. But yeah may be hard to get a customer service role as some who have been made redundant will also be applying there too.

What kind of grad schemes are you applying for? Do you think you are applying for the right ones based on your skillset/ experiences/ degree/ university you went to? Maybe try and find someone else to go through your cv/ cover letter so that they convey it all correctly, try to find someone in the industry or a family member you know who could read them.
Reply 2
Original post by tjames988
Yeah its difficult for a lot of people at the moment, just need to keep going at it in the hope one role pulls through. But yeah may be hard to get a customer service role as some who have been made redundant will also be applying there too.

What kind of grad schemes are you applying for? Do you think you are applying for the right ones based on your skillset/ experiences/ degree/ university you went to? Maybe try and find someone else to go through your cv/ cover letter so that they convey it all correctly, try to find someone in the industry or a family member you know who could read them.

ah you're right, its just tiring and so unmotivating being rejected from so many jobs no matter what it is. I've been unemployed for long its getting annoying. I do constantly update my CV to fit the role and have a CV writing guide from my old tutor from uni. When looking for grad roles I was looking for anything i.e Business development programme, IT development programmes, commercial banking .etc. more business related roles.
But since many grad programme applications have ended....what other jobs can I look for that dont require so much experience. I feel like I have no idea what to look for anymore because whatever I do look at, ask for so much experience I don't have
ah you're right, its just tiring and so unmotivating being rejected from so many jobs no matter what it is. I've been unemployed for long its getting annoying. I do constantly update my CV to fit the role and have a CV writing guide from my old tutor from uni. When looking for grad roles I was looking for anything i.e Business development programme, IT development programmes, commercial banking .etc. more business related roles.
But since many grad programme applications have ended....what other jobs can I look for that dont require so much experience. I feel like I have no idea what to look for anymore because whatever I do look at, ask for so much experience I don't have

Have you tried marketing, sales assistant, intern job at small businesses, asking friends and family for help?
look at job advertisements in the paper and see if you can find something online.
Have you tried searching on prospects? They list all the graduate schemes/jobs. But in the meantime, how about a Christmas job just to show that you are active?
Hello there

Update your LinkedIn Profile. Buff up your resume. See if you can up skill, the skill network is good or contact your local community college to find out about distance learning study options. Call or email some local companies to ask if they have any job vacancies to fill or not. Apply online or in person. Research online.
Are you applying only online? If so you're just one of many numbers... and that's a problem if you don't have the experience to match.

Now there you go - problem solved! How do you get that experience though? You ask about opportunities at places you'd like to work instead of waiting for them to open up first. Contact companies near to you (or far away) with a CV and tell them you're a graduate looking to increase your experience. 49/50 times you'll likely get knocked back, probably by somebody who doesn't have the authority to help, but it gives potential networking options. Smaller business and charities tend to be the most helpful btw

Customer service jobs? Yeah don't apply to those online. It's a waste of time. Instead, make a CV linking all your customer service and people skills and take it in to businesses (preferably non corporate ones) after lockdown ends. Or better still, email the store/shop with a short email and your CV. Frame this as being in case they have any opportunities as you don't want to come across like an entitled so and so (they'll glaze right over that as it doesn't demonstrate good people skills).

In the meantime, keep applying to grad schemes as and when they open. No other way around it apart from the old online applications.

Good luck~
(edited 3 years ago)
Similar situation here, applied to like 4 grad schemes. Graduate roles are few are far between, so its speculative job applications, i dont have any experience apart from retail.

Thinking of calling the offices instead of emailing my CV, just worried it will come across as desparate.
Original post by route255
Similar situation here, applied to like 4 grad schemes. Graduate roles are few are far between, so its speculative job applications, i dont have any experience apart from retail.

Thinking of calling the offices instead of emailing my CV, just worried it will come across as desparate.

You're so unlikely to if you have only applied for 4 grad schemes. You need to be applying for a lot more than that. Also, retail experience is good, you just need to convey it well and how it relates to the job you are applying for
Original post by tjames988
You're so unlikely to if you have only applied for 4 grad schemes. You need to be applying for a lot more than that. Also, retail experience is good, you just need to convey it well and how it relates to the job you are applying for

For what i studied at Uni, theres only few grad schemes. Mostly speculative job applications for roles.
Reply 11

Yes I guess contacting them is way better which I never thought of actually! I mean they know so many of us are desperate so who cares as long as we can land a job right 😩

Same I’ve applied to loads and have either failed the tests, or received emails saying although your application was good we decided not to take u on further due to high amounts of applications we’ve received 🙃 I forget how competitive grad schemes are! And there aren’t many left now because often they close by mid November. I wonder where else to find Graduate level-jobs that don’t require too much skills because I don’t want to be in a short term customer service role then carry on looking for another long term grad role it’s too much
Reply 12
Original post by DuckDodgers
Are you applying only online? If so you're just one of many numbers... and that's a problem if you don't have the experience to match.

Now there you go - problem solved! How do you get that experience though? You ask about opportunities at places you'd like to work instead of waiting for them to open up first. Contact companies near to you (or far away) with a CV and tell them you're a graduate looking to increase your experience. 49/50 times you'll likely get knocked back, probably by somebody who doesn't have the authority to help, but it gives potential networking options. Smaller business and charities tend to be the most helpful btw

Customer service jobs? Yeah don't apply to those online. It's a waste of time. Instead, make a CV linking all your customer service and people skills and take it in to businesses (preferably non corporate ones) after lockdown ends. Or better still, email the store/shop with a short email and your CV. Frame this as being in case they have any opportunities as you don't want to come across like an entitled so and so (they'll glaze right over that as it doesn't demonstrate good people skills).

In the meantime, keep applying to grad schemes as and when they open. No other way around it apart from the old online applications.

Good luck~

Thanks for this!
I never thought of contacting a company myself n ask for a job! When I send a CV tho, how do I know what role to tailor it for? For example; asking a bank for a role that’s suitable for a graduate (not grad scheme) but in my CV what role do I specify without knowing what roles they have on offer?
I have been looking online everywhere :frown: came across so many job posts where it’ll say it’s been posted a few days ago and based in London...then when i got to apply, it redirects me to the company’s actual website where it’ll either say it’s not available in London or the job post has closed?! SO ANNOYING!!!

I’m only looking for a customer service role as I need to earn something for now, but if I can find a decent grad level job then brill. Only downside is once I am in a basic job I’m going to have to carry on looking for grad level jobs as I don’t wana be on a basic salary forever. It’s all so much to do and is there a specific web where I can find small businesses hiring ?
Thanks for this!
I never thought of contacting a company myself n ask for a job! When I send a CV tho, how do I know what role to tailor it for? For example; asking a bank for a role that’s suitable for a graduate (not grad scheme) but in my CV what role do I specify without knowing what roles they have on offer?
I have been looking online everywhere :frown: came across so many job posts where it’ll say it’s been posted a few days ago and based in London...then when i got to apply, it redirects me to the company’s actual website where it’ll either say it’s not available in London or the job post has closed?! SO ANNOYING!!!

I’m only looking for a customer service role as I need to earn something for now, but if I can find a decent grad level job then brill. Only downside is once I am in a basic job I’m going to have to carry on looking for grad level jobs as I don’t wana be on a basic salary forever. It’s all so much to do and is there a specific web where I can find small businesses hiring ?

No probs.

Always remember that employers will take much more notice of people who show passion about something. Customer service isn't a bad start so if you know you want to work with people and want to work in a bank, you can use those elements to tailor your CV around two specific things - people skills and finance. Finance might not be a defining characteristic of your previous roles but it could, for example, be mentioned in your personal summary, education and interests sections. These would help set you apart as a candidate so if you're getting in touch speculatively then all you need to do is explain that you're a graduate eager to get into finance and with experience and skills that match somehow. Your CV will demonstrate the rest but it's really a case of doing what you can to stand out.

In other cases, chop and change your CV dependent on the industry - think of it like your angle.

If you're anything like me, you'll learn what works and what doesn't based on the replies you get.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey @Maris499 there's already loads of great advice in this thread so don't want to pop in repeating everything that's been said!! But I was in this exact same position after I graduated and totally sympathise with how you're feeling so thought I'd say something anyway! :colondollar:

It can be SO demoralising, and I promise it will get better if you keep going. At one point I ended up with a generic CV and Cover Letter, and had templated it to insert tailored company info in to each section, eg I would say "I have experience in (insert skill here) as shown through my time at (insert uni/previous job role). This meant I could apply for loads of roles a bit quicker, while still tailoring it to what the job ad was asking for.

I agree with trying to do things a little bit differently- this is what will make you stand out. One thing I always looked for was the company's values, and how I could show I represented them. Whenever I was invited to interviews I always added the interviewer on LinkedIn afterwards. I started off feeling this was a bit pushy but got to a stage where I wasn't embarrassed about this at all, as that's really what LinkedIn is for and it allowed me to get feedback if I was unsuccessful. Take a chance messaging people on LinkedIn, even if you approach it as "I'd love to apply for (this role) within your company, could you give me any tips for my application or tell me more about what life is like working there?". Be professional about it and it will show your pro-activeness :biggrin: Changing things up will keep you a little more motivated too- as it does just start to feel really grim spending days clicking through application sections :s-smilie: Maybe look for any online courses you can do to keep you ticking over and to give you something to chat about in interviews too?

Keep going!! You will absolutely get there, and one day will look back on this strange period of time and be grateful that you pushed through even when you were fed up.

Take care,
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 15
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Maris499 there's already loads of great advice in this thread so don't want to pop in repeating everything that's been said!! But I was in this exact same position after I graduated and totally sympathise with how you're feeling so thought I'd say something anyway! :colondollar:

It can be SO demoralising, and I promise it will get better if you keep going. At one point I ended up with a generic CV and Cover Letter, and had templated it to insert tailored company info in to each section, eg I would say "I have experience in (insert skill here) as shown through my time at (insert uni/previous job role). This meant I could apply for loads of roles a bit quicker, while still tailoring it to what the job ad was asking for.

I agree with trying to do things a little bit differently- this is what will make you stand out. One thing I always looked for was the company's values, and how I could show I represented them. Whenever I was invited to interviews I always added the interviewer on LinkedIn afterwards. I started off feeling this was a bit pushy but got to a stage where I wasn't embarrassed about this at all, as that's really what LinkedIn is for and it allowed me to get feedback if I was unsuccessful. Take a chance messaging people on LinkedIn, even if you approach it as "I'd love to apply for (this role) within your company, could you give me any tips for my application or tell me more about what life is like working there?". Be professional about it and it will show your pro-activeness :biggrin: Changing things up will keep you a little more motivated too- as it does just start to feel really grim spending days clicking through application sections :s-smilie: Maybe look for any online courses you can do to keep you ticking over and to give you something to chat about in interviews too?

Keep going!! You will absolutely get there, and one day will look back on this strange period of time and be grateful that you pushed through even when you were fed up.

Take care,
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Hi Caitlin,
Thank you so much for the lovely advice, you're right I should be active on LinkedIn and use it to my advantage. The only reason why I haven't is because I feel slightly uncomfortable having my details on a profile public. so silly i know, but I have been searching for jobs on LinkedIn so far then just applying to whatever through the company's website.
Getting so tired from just sitting at home all day and feeling useless. I know many other grads are going through the same. But I am also telling myself that this is just a "big break" before starting a 9-5 job!
I have failed to get onto any grad schemes so far, hence I've stopped applying for them, but also I'm unsure of what other job types to apply for as a lot of Business Analyst (I want to go into) as for sooo much experience?! Not seeing many entry-level jobs about, so now I dont know what other types of jobs to apply for :frown:
Hi Caitlin,
Thank you so much for the lovely advice, you're right I should be active on LinkedIn and use it to my advantage. The only reason why I haven't is because I feel slightly uncomfortable having my details on a profile public. so silly i know, but I have been searching for jobs on LinkedIn so far then just applying to whatever through the company's website.
Getting so tired from just sitting at home all day and feeling useless. I know many other grads are going through the same. But I am also telling myself that this is just a "big break" before starting a 9-5 job!
I have failed to get onto any grad schemes so far, hence I've stopped applying for them, but also I'm unsure of what other job types to apply for as a lot of Business Analyst (I want to go into) as for sooo much experience?! Not seeing many entry-level jobs about, so now I dont know what other types of jobs to apply for :frown:

Same here I'm raring to start a grad job. Though im happy to take a retail job as long as i dont get myself into a rut! I set up Linked in recently, i find it useful looking at other peoples job history, the routes they took! Though not sure how to message people for jobs or if people are looking to recruit through it.

Yeah, very few entry level positions apart grad schemes, and you cant apply for apprenticeships because of degree. I keep saying to myself, as long as your applying , you will get something eventually. Have you asked companies for work experience?
Same here I'm raring to start a grad job. Though im happy to take a retail job as long as i dont get myself into a rut! I set up Linked in recently, i find it useful looking at other peoples job history, the routes they took! Though not sure how to message people for jobs or if people are looking to recruit through it.

Yeah, very few entry level positions apart grad schemes, and you cant apply for apprenticeships because of degree. I keep saying to myself, as long as your applying , you will get something eventually. Have you asked companies for work experience?

You can, I'm sure. The limitation with apprenticeships is more about whether you can afford to live on the wages they pay. They're good if you're living at home with parents or cheaply with friends. Also age sometimes.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18

exactly!! Tbh I've been out of work for so long that If I had to travel for work experience I simply won't be able to afford it. I just want to get started on something soon as my savings are running low. I cant even get onto a remote customer service job?! They would say they're remote but then the job description would say to train at their centre thats miles away!!
Original post by DuckDodgers
You can, I'm sure. The limitation with apprenticeships is more about whether you can afford to live on the wages they pay. They're good if you're living at home with parents or cheaply with friends. Also age sometimes.

Only way for me to move out is a decent paying job. With vocational degrees in construction like I did, think they all should be degree apprenticeships, rather than full time degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending