The Student Room Group

Which famous works of art have you seen, if any?

I am not sure if I have seen any...

Scroll to see replies

Mona Lisa
Tracey Emin's bed, Otto Dix stuff, lots of other stuff i cant remember
I've seen the Taj Mahal

Architecture is probably my favourite form of art
Salvador Dali's 'Christ of St John of the Cross' springs to mind, It's hung in Glasgow's Kelvingrove gallery for ages.
I practically lived in art galleries from GCSE up until the end of A-level art :tongue: tbh i was sick of them by the end :lol:
Worth it to get those stars though :gthumb:
Last year I viewed artwork in the National Gallery in London.
The Parthenon Frieze is probably the most well known (and contentious) art work I've seen in person. Saw some Hokusai prints including one of The Great Wave once as well. I've probably a great deal of the permanent collections from the British Museum, NHM, and V&A at one point or another though, as we visited those frequently when I was a kid and then also in 6th form for art trips. Architecturally, the most famous thing I've seen is probably the Sydney Opera House, albeit from the other side of the bay.
I guess the Taj is my favourite building, but its more specific elements or styles I like rather than having favourite buildings. I like traditional Japanese, Gothic, Moorish, Mughal, Ottoman, Persian/Sassanian architectural styles and anything from the Middle East in general
Reply 9
I've been to so many museums and galleries for permanent and temporary exhibitions there's too many famous pictures to list. I've even been to Monet's house, with the gardens and the waterliles on the pond.

So out of everything I've seen it's maybe a bit cliched saying Rembrandt's 'The Night Watch'. However, I love this story about it:

It was moved out of its home in the Rijksmuseum in 2003 while the building was refurbished. For various reasons it was 10 years before the painting returned, and it is so well-loved that people lined the streets of Amsterdam - to watch it drive past packed in a crate on the back of a lorry!
Metamorphosis of Narcissus by S Dali - it was smaller than I expected :unsure:

I saw a smaller version of 'Alison Lapper Pregnant' by Marc Quinn before a larger version became famous for being on the 4th plinth
Reply 11
I've been to the National Gallery a couple times so I've probably seen quite a few famous works of art, I just don't remember them :indiff:

I think I saw The Ambassadors there.
Idrk any famous art other than Mona Lisa :colondollar:
I went to the Tate Modern tho
I saw Van Gogh's famous painting of sunflowers in Amsterdam in late 2018 :moon:
:party::party::party::party::party::party:
The Mona Lisa was pretty underwhelming :colonhash:
I used to be an art student so I went to the Tate Modern, Saatchi, etc
My favourite work of art, if you're counting architecture, would probably be the Basilica di San Marco
The morning I went, the gold work seemed to reflect the sun- absolutely stunning!
Saturn Devouring His Son, Francisco Goya -- Seeing this piece of art in real life gave me the biggest chills. It was in an already dark moon and you could just feel the horror emanating from it.

The Dog, Francisco Goya -- This art piece was also incredibly tragic because it was painted when the artist was in a deep depression.

Guernica, Pablo Picasso -- This was HUGE. And also incredibly sombre. There also seemed to be many secret symbols like arrows and flowers in it as well. The vibes were there.

Check these out! If you ever want to see them in real life, you can find them in the art museum in Madrid (can't remember what it's called)!
I appreciate some art but I don’t go out my way to look for it so no I haven’t
Elgin Marbles
Hampton Court Palace
Hever Castle
Jason with the Golden Fleece by Bertel Thorvaldsen
Madonna of the Rocks (NPG restored version) by Leonardo da Vinci
The Acropolis of Athens & The Parthenon
The Annunciation by Raphael
The Birth of Venus by Boticelli
The Horses of Helios
The Last Supper by Da Vinci
The Pantheon
The Triumphs of Caesar by Andrea Mantegna
The Little Mermaid by Edvard Eriksen
The Water Lily Pond by Claude Monet
Ophelia by Sir John Everett Milliais
Rosslyn Chapel
Sistine Chapel
St. Peter's Basilica
Sunflowers by Vincent van Gogh
Tomb of Pope Julius II by Michelangelo
Whistlejacket by George Stubbs
Reply 19
Original post by Shadow~
The Mona Lisa was pretty underwhelming :colonhash:
I used to be an art student so I went to the Tate Modern, Saatchi, etc
My favourite work of art, if you're counting architecture, would probably be the Basilica di San Marco
The morning I went, the gold work seemed to reflect the sun- absolutely stunning!

Oh yeah I forgot about the Tate Modern, I remember now one installation there is like a steel girder in the wall with a bunch of metal turds on the floor underneath it

Quick Reply

Latest