The Student Room Group

A level option advice

Hi guys,

I am choosing my a levels and am really stuck.

I definetly want to do maths and further maths and have been doing a few STEP questions during lockdown for fun and want to do maths at uni, hopefully Cambridge

I enjoy physics and it will be very useful for me doing s maths degree so I want to take that as well.

I want to be a quant when I’m older which involves computer programming so I also want to do computer science as it will be helpful as well for the programming bit you usually do In a maths degree.

However, I also really love chemistry. I want to do chemistry and have always tried to participate in extra curricular when I can. I also don’t know if I want to be a doctor or a déntist, so chemistry is compulsory to do that.

I also really like biology. And that will go really well with chemistry. Also if I do want to be a doctor and do medicine at uni, then biology is really important

From favourite to least favourite is:
1) further maths
2) maths
3) computer science
4) chemistry
5) physics
6) biology

I basically love computer science, chemistry and physics all the same though

What I’m best at:

1) maths
2) further maths
3) computer science
4) biology
5) physics
6) chemistry

(I’m getting 95%+ in my tests for all of these so this is just my opinion what I struggle the most with but in general I don’t struggle with any of these)

Should I do 6 or 5? I’m talking 14 GCSES so I don’t mind the work.

Sorry i waffled
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think universities only look at 3 A-Levels so you’d be better off choosing 3 of your 6 (I know it may be tough) and getting grades you’re happy with in them than taking 5 or 6 A-Levels and getting lower grades, 2 or 3 of which universities won’t even look it.
Reply 2
I think I want to at least take 4 but I’m not sure what ones out of the 6 I should take.
I’m leaning towards physics, further maths and maths for my first 3
I really don’t know for my 4th. Either chemistry or cs
For medicine most universities want only chem and another science like physics or bio. so you’re sorted if you do chem for your 4th (go check the uni websites just in case but for example I believe Cambridge wants chem and another science whether it be bio or physics but make sure to check uni websites) and since you want to do maths at uni you don’t rly need computer science since you’re not wanting to do a computer degree but even if you do decide on a computer degree, you just need maths and physics as for everyone it’ll be a new subject starting from scratch so if you ask me:
Maths
Fm
Physics
Chemistry

Good luck!
Reply 4
If you can take 6 from the start of course take 6. You can always drop 1 or 2 if you feel you dont need it/dont like it.
Reply 5
Thank you all for your replies!
Reply 6
What can I pick for the 3rd option for biomedical science
Reply 7
Original post by Paywole
What can I pick for the 3rd option for biomedical science

Biology
Chemistry
Maths?
Original post by YGSK
I think I want to at least take 4 but I’m not sure what ones out of the 6 I should take.

Which do you think you will get the best grade in?
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)
Which do you think you will get the best grade in?

I get the exact same grades in both so far at gcse
i would just do 4 in the first year and drop 1 in 2nd year. Honestly there is a lot to do for maths + further (i don’t do physics but i know it’s just as difficult and content heavy). Of course it’s understandable why you may want to learn all these subjects but when it comes to getting qualifications, it’s better to get amazing grades in 3 than mediocre grades in 6. I’m not saying that you won’t be able to succeed in all 5/6 but it will take a LOT of work and you’ll basically have no free time ever aha which will only burn you out and makes it more likely to fail. If you enjoy other subjects, you could research them in your free time instead of taking them as A levels? In the end, it’s completely up to you but there is absolutely no scenario where 6 A levels will help you in life/uni application but if you think you can handle it then i’m impressed :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by izzxm
i would just do 4 in the first year and drop 1 in 2nd year. Honestly there is a lot to do for maths + further (i don’t do physics but i know it’s just as difficult and content heavy). Of course it’s understandable why you may want to learn all these subjects but when it comes to getting qualifications, it’s better to get amazing grades in 3 than mediocre grades in 6. I’m not saying that you won’t be able to succeed in all 5/6 but it will take a LOT of work and you’ll basically have no free time ever aha which will only burn you out and makes it more likely to fail. If you enjoy other subjects, you could research them in your free time instead of taking them as A levels? In the end, it’s completely up to you but there is absolutely no scenario where 6 A levels will help you in life/uni application but if you think you can handle it then i’m impressed :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I think I’ll do 4
Original post by YGSK

There can be a deceptively big step up from GCSE to A-Level in terms of workload and difficulty. I would say do 3-4 really well rather than trying to do 6. The subjects I would personally choose (and this is just my opinion) would be: Maths, Chemistry, Biology (and Further Maths if you really wanted to do 4 but I wouldn’t recommend)
A levels are very very very different from GCSEs, I did 12 GCSEs and I am struggling to complete everything on time for my 3 a levels. My advice is to do 4 and see how you go with it, adjust etc. As for choice, pick the top 4 on the list of subjects you love! Loving your subject is really important at a levels! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest