The Student Room Group

Independent research project - HELP!!!!!!

Hi so I'm doing French A level online through oxbridge and am really struggling with ideas for my IRP! I don't have anyone I can discuss ideas with and it needs to be a kinda controversial topic like where a deep convosation can happen and is deeply related to French culture - I've been stressing over it and would really love some ideas or suggestions!
Thank you !!
Original post by StudentBeA2
Hi so I'm doing French A level online through oxbridge and am really struggling with ideas for my IRP! I don't have anyone I can discuss ideas with and it needs to be a kinda controversial topic like where a deep convosation can happen and is deeply related to French culture - I've been stressing over it and would really love some ideas or suggestions!
Thank you !!

Hello @StudentBeA2! This sounds like a really interesting way to get your teeth stuck in to some French culture :biggrin: Totally understandable that you're finding it stressful! I don't have any experience of this particular assignment but I did do French as part of my degree so might be able to weigh in a little with some inspo!

One thing I'd say is think about things that *you* find interesting. Picking something that you want to talk about is half the battle and you'll be more willing to put the work in for it if it intrigues you! I mainly did Marketing in my degree, and had to talk about a marketing-related area in my French research project. I chose to do it on the branding of Disneyland Paris and how it compared to its American counterparts, and also how they could improve the brand image to make it seem more appealing. My interests lay primarily in travel and tourism, and I've always have a soft spot for Disney so voila! :colondollar:

Is there something that you're really interested in as a topic? Maybe something like tourism, film, sport, history? Once you work out the area you want to write about you may be able to expand your ideas from there. You could also look at differences between French cultures and discuss how they vary and yet stay the same (e.g. Canadian French is at times a very different language from France's French!) or even the differences in behaviours and dialects between different regions. Food is also a massive part of the French culture and there's loads to look in to there!

Hope some of this has maybe helped a little? Good luck with your project, I'm sure it'll be great!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
This is a fun opportunity to learn more about French culture. Consider all your possible options and then make a short list. For instance you could do it based on the French wines and food for starters. Other good research topics include French hospital or their school system.
You could even use it as a valid excuse to study the French countryside or French literature in depth as well. Alternatively you could choose to research French drama dance or the music industry. Yet more fun interesting topics to pick from are the French catering sector and the like.
In terms of finding out more about French culture you could always compare extensively differences in the French language. The laws in France are also technically a starting point in addition which is worth learning about. Or you can opt to do your research on the shops and the street market scene in France. What is more you can find out more about the French museums and art galleries on top of that. Another topic is how the transport system works in France.
You may also wish to do your research project on France at Christmas time. French radio is another recommended option for comparison. I hope that this is useful to you.
Reply 3
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hello @StudentBeA2! This sounds like a really interesting way to get your teeth stuck in to some French culture :biggrin: Totally understandable that you're finding it stressful! I don't have any experience of this particular assignment but I did do French as part of my degree so might be able to weigh in a little with some inspo!

One thing I'd say is think about things that *you* find interesting. Picking something that you want to talk about is half the battle and you'll be more willing to put the work in for it if it intrigues you! I mainly did Marketing in my degree, and had to talk about a marketing-related area in my French research project. I chose to do it on the branding of Disneyland Paris and how it compared to its American counterparts, and also how they could improve the brand image to make it seem more appealing. My interests lay primarily in travel and tourism, and I've always have a soft spot for Disney so voila! :colondollar:

Is there something that you're really interested in as a topic? Maybe something like tourism, film, sport, history? Once you work out the area you want to write about you may be able to expand your ideas from there. You could also look at differences between French cultures and discuss how they vary and yet stay the same (e.g. Canadian French is at times a very different language from France's French!) or even the differences in behaviours and dialects between different regions. Food is also a massive part of the French culture and there's loads to look in to there!

Hope some of this has maybe helped a little? Good luck with your project, I'm sure it'll be great!

Hi Caitlin !
Thank you so much for your reply , This has really helped !!!!
There is so much im interested about france and its culture but its such a broad topic I really don't know where to start - was thinking maybe something about fashion or music - and your advice on linking it with maybe another country is great !
Thank you so much and best wishes !!!
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
This is a fun opportunity to learn more about French culture. Consider all your possible options and then make a short list. For instance you could do it based on the French wines and food for starters. Other good research topics include French hospital or their school system.
You could even use it as a valid excuse to study the French countryside or French literature in depth as well. Alternatively you could choose to research French drama dance or the music industry. Yet more fun interesting topics to pick from are the French catering sector and the like.
In terms of finding out more about French culture you could always compare extensively differences in the French language. The laws in France are also technically a starting point in addition which is worth learning about. Or you can opt to do your research on the shops and the street market scene in France. What is more you can find out more about the French museums and art galleries on top of that. Another topic is how the transport system works in France.
You may also wish to do your research project on France at Christmas time. French radio is another recommended option for comparison. I hope that this is useful to you.

Thank you so much this helped out a lot !!!!
np
Original post by StudentBeA2
Hi Caitlin !
Thank you so much for your reply , This has really helped !!!!
There is so much im interested about france and its culture but its such a broad topic I really don't know where to start - was thinking maybe something about fashion or music - and your advice on linking it with maybe another country is great !
Thank you so much and best wishes !!!

Ah fab! Fashion and music are great ones! In your first post you mentioned it should be a topic that's a bit more controversial to generate a debate- you could link both of those areas to politics and you'd certainly have a lot of controversy to discuss there. You can talk about French designers that have made political statements through their work, and same to music! But if you think of an idea to compare different ways of thinking with other French speaking countries I think that shows really broad insight in to French culture and not just solely on France.

Once you decide what you're doing it on drop us a message here, would love to hear what you end up going for :biggrin:

Reply 7
yes that's my only issue trying to link that to a controversial topic, leaning slightly more towards fashion but we'll have to see !!I will have a think and let you know thank you so much for your help and support !

Best Wishes !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending