The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hi i am a student and have found hp good
i personally have a hp chromebook and find it works well for studies i have had it for a year abd it has never failed me
Original post by sultangopi
I have had the same laptop for the last 7 years. A dell inspiron 17R, which has been fine and done the job well for so long.

However, I now want to buy something new and wanted advice on what is best in the market. Is currys pc world stilll the best place?

Would people recommend dell still? back in the day some said HP and Lenovo but I stuck with dell.

I need it for watching videos, storing photos etc, no gaming

Helllooo so basically bc you have had it for so long, I would get a new model. I would have a look at some recently released ones and make a chart of the pros and cons of each. Example :

Microsoft Surface
A pro: has stylus
A con: uses windows features (depends really if you like windows or ios more)

Consider cost as well. I've had a Microsoft Surface Pro for about 3.25 years and its been great. It's lagging slightly, but that's expected after prolonged use.

Hope this helps!! Examples of devices are: MacBook, IPad, Microsoft Surface, Chrombook :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for.advice. what are the screen sizes like. I currently.have 17 inch so dont want to drop below that. What you think of Lenovo?
Original post by Donnialy
Helllooo so basically bc you have had it for so long, I would get a new model. I would have a look at some recently released ones and make a chart of the pros and cons of each. Example :

Microsoft Surface

Consider cost as well. I've had a Microsoft Surface Pro for about 3.25 years and its been great. It's lagging slightly, but that's expected after prolonged use.

Hope this helps!! Examples of devices are: MacBook, IPad, Microsoft Surface, Chrombook :smile:
Thanks for.advice. what are the screen sizes like. I currently.have 17 inch so dont want to drop below that. What you think of Lenovo?

Hi I dont know the actual lengths but the Microsoft surface has a screen about the same size as A4 paper. Perhaps visit their website, may have some info ? If Lenevo works for you, then I would keep with it, as you are used to the systems etc. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Donnialy

Microsoft Surface

I had my laptop for 6 years it isn't lagging I think after 3.25 years I would still expect peak performance.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I had my laptop for 6 years it isn't lagging I think after 3.25 years I would still expect peak performance.

Aha lol i use mine all the time literally for everything and I charge it every day so, therefore, the battery life has gone down a bit. i wouldn't say it lags tho like I think I misphrased it. basically yeh battery life but it still lasts a long time before it dies soooo. idk I just suggest getting whichever laptop works for u :smile:
Reply 7
what do people think of lenovo
what do people think of lenovo

I second the Microsoft Surface recommendation. I have the surface go 2 and it’s amazing! 😊. You get 2 in one so a laptop and a tablet. My screen size is 10
Inch and is a perfect size for my small hands. I previously had a HP stream 11 laptop and that lasted me 2 good years.
Reply 9
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
I second the Microsoft Surface recommendation. I have the surface go 2 and it’s amazing! 😊. You get 2 in one so a laptop and a tablet. My screen size is 10
Inch and is a perfect size for my small hands. I previously had a HP stream 11 laptop and that lasted me 2 good years.

what kind of prize is that.
what kind of prize is that.

What do you mean?
What do you mean?

sorry meant price
sorry meant price

It depends on the size you get. I got 128gb for £550. Then there’s additional pricing for the keyboard and the pen.
It depends on the size you get. I got 128gb for £550. Then there’s additional pricing for the keyboard and the pen.

sounds expensive for a 10 inch screen? Is it from currys?
I have had the same laptop for the last 7 years. A dell inspiron 17R, which has been fine and done the job well for so long.

However, I now want to buy something new and wanted advice on what is best in the market. Is currys pc world stilll the best place?

Would people recommend dell still? back in the day some said HP and Lenovo but I stuck with dell.

I need it for watching videos, storing photos etc, no gaming

avoid HPs like the plague, they are a trap as they always break after a year.

i have the perfect laptop for you. the LG Gram 17. it's a 17 inch laptop and unbelievably only 1.3kg, the only downside i found was the small Enter key but other than that it was faultless
Original post by A Rolling Stone

i have the perfect laptop for you. the LG Gram 17. it's a 17 inch laptop and unbelievably only 1.3kg, the only downside i found was the small Enter key but other than that it was faultless

will check it out, could you provide me with a link
will check it out, could you provide me with a link

just google it
sounds expensive for a 10 inch screen? Is it from currys?

Lasts you quite a long time though. No, I got it from the Microsoft store itself.
Original post by A Rolling Stone

What is your experience of premium business laptops from HP, such as the 840 series?
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
What is your experience of premium business laptops from HP, such as the 840 series?

as far as work laptops go, i've had 2 generations of Elitebooks, both of which quickly became basket cases - everyone at work hates them. i've had similar experiences with my home laptops. i suspect HP do what Apple do to ensure higher replacement rates. but i doubt the OP wants a business laptop. i don't have a Lenovo (i own an Acer) but i think they are streets ahead of anyone else at the moment in terms of value

Latest

Trending

Trending