The Student Room Group

Laptop for sixth form

Hi there,

I’m asking what laptop would be best for sixth form studies at school.

My current set-up is an iPad which I use in GCSE lessons. the iPad is on loan by the school so I give it back at the end of GCSEs in a couple of weeks time. At home I have a desktop which I use as a secondary device (e.g to put work reference materials on, online textbooks etc) and then use the iPad as a note taking device in this way during my free time/work/preps.

However, I prefer to use real paper to take notes / typing (not digital inking) and would rather do it this way instead of using an iPad.

I currently get typing provisions in exams. (90 wpm).

Ideally, I would have a laptop which would last for a long time, which isn’t too small (I prefer working on larger screens) and easy to type on. I am doing heavy essay subjects for A-Level (History of Art, English Lit, Geology) and an EPQ. I would prefer to stay in the Apple Ecosystem as everything I have online is on apple and is all interconnected. Any recommendations / opinions are welcome!

Thank you in advance!
Original post by olivermarshalll
Hi there,

My current set-up is an iPad which I use in GCSE lessons. the iPad is on loan by the school so I give it back at the end of GCSEs in a couple of weeks time. At home I have a desktop which I use as a secondary device (e.g to put work reference materials on, online textbooks etc) and then use the iPad as a note taking device in this way during my free time/work/preps.

However, I prefer to use real paper to take notes / typing (not digital inking) and would rather do it this way instead of using an iPad.

Ideally, I would have a laptop which would last for a long time, which isn’t too small (I prefer working on larger screens) and easy to type on. I am doing heavy essay subjects for A-Level (History of Art, English Lit, Geology) and an EPQ. I would prefer to stay in the Apple Ecosystem as everything I have online is on apple and is all interconnected. Any recommendations / opinions are welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Although certainly not necessary for sixth form, if you're looking for a good laptop perhaps try looking at the Apple MacBook Air (2022). The price is steep (as with anything from Apple), but it's in the Apple ecosystem like you said, very new, and will almost certainly last you through your university years and beyond (assuming that's that plan).

As for typing and size, they shouldn't be an issue. :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by olivermarshalll
Hi there,

Thank you in advance!

Hi, for sixth form you don’t need an expensive fancy laptop, at my sixth form majority of the time we had to use the computers provided and during free periods we could use the library. I only needed my personal laptop for completing work at home. I got through sixth form with a new HP laptop and upgraded to a MacBook Air just before I started uni. However if you’re looking to take advantage of the Apple Ecosystem, then I’d say a MacBook Air is your best bet it usually retails for around £1k. If you can’t afford that, just get a new laptop from the likes of HP, Dell etc. and you’ll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending