The Student Room Group

Imperial computing interview, what to expect?

I've just been given a date for my computing interview at imperial. Has anyone got any imperial specific tips for what to expect? Will it consist of going through maths questions or will it be a more informal discussion?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I just had my interview on the 3rd.

Basically, the entire day is spent looking at the Uni, being introduced to the course, seeing the first yr projects etc. so it's pretty chill.

The interview itsself is very very very relaxed (at least for me!) I was chatting and laughing with my interviewer, asking me general questions like 'why computing?' or 'why imperial'. I didn't get asked about a single specific thing on my personal statement (but thats apperently uncommon - most interviewrs will ask yoy something spefic to your PS). After that I got 2 maths questions - both took less the 5 mins to solve and my interview was over.

Interviews are supposed to last 30 mins, and most in my group did last that long. Mine was about 15 mins, and I got such a relaxed cool tutor - I've heard that my experience is a little unusual.

But thats the structure of your day - your interview will relaxed to an extent and you'll get a couple of maths questions which they don't expect you to know, but will want you to expalin your thought process and will help you out with hints. Thats the most important part - explain what your thinking!
Reply 2
Original post by gemdarkstone

Basically, the entire day is spent looking at the Uni, being introduced to the course, seeing the first yr projects etc. so it's pretty chill.

The interview itsself is very very very relaxed (at least for me!) I was chatting and laughing with my interviewer, asking me general questions like 'why computing?' or 'why imperial'. I didn't get asked about a single specific thing on my personal statement (but thats apperently uncommon - most interviewrs will ask yoy something spefic to your PS). After that I got 2 maths questions - both took less the 5 mins to solve and my interview was over.

Interviews are supposed to last 30 mins, and most in my group did last that long. Mine was about 15 mins, and I got such a relaxed cool tutor - I've heard that my experience is a little unusual.

But thats the structure of your day - your interview will relaxed to an extent and you'll get a couple of maths questions which they don't expect you to know, but will want you to expalin your thought process and will help you out with hints. Thats the most important part - explain what your thinking!

Thanks for your response, good luck! Were the maths questions a level related or were they more logic type questions?
Reply 3
I had my interview on the 3rd as well (I applied for computing with artificial intelligence). I agree with gemdarkstone, the whole day was pretty chill. The people at Imperial are really nice and will answer any of your questions if you approach them.

Nevertheless, my interview didn't go so well. My interviewer was a very.. serious, slightly mean and looking-constantly-mad lady who hasn't smiled once during the interview. Moreover, it was VERY obvious that she didn't read my personal statement because she asked me programming questions while I directly stated that I have never learnt programming. She also kind of told me that I'm a loser compared to others because I don't have programming background and am more interested in Artificial Intelligence as a whole than programming and algorithms.

Besides this, other questions were "why imperial", "why computing" and of that sort and also one math question that I answered quite easily.

But don't freak out too much, I talked to nearly everyone in there and other candidates said they got nice and relaxed interviewers and that their interviews were quite fun. (It was just me who was extremely unlucky :smile:.) Lots of them got questions on differentiation and integration as far as I remember.

Just know your math and you should be fine, really. Good luck!
I applied for JMC, had my interview in December, and now have an offer. There were a lot of questions about irrelevant personal stuff, one question about algorithms, nothing about maths (surprisingly), and nothing specific about my personal statement. The number one question to prepare for IMO is "Why Imperial?" -- do a bit of research on their course before you go. Also, don't worry about it too much -- ~80% of people who get interviews get offers.
Reply 5
@yulija
Original post by sweeneyrod
I applied for JMC, had my interview in December, and now have an offer. There were a lot of questions about irrelevant personal stuff, one question about algorithms, nothing about maths (surprisingly), and nothing specific about my personal statement. The number one question to prepare for IMO is "Why Imperial?" -- do a bit of research on their course before you go. Also, don't worry about it too much -- ~80% of people who get interviews get offers.

Which is why I'm becoming paranoid, about wanting not to be in that 20% haha. One more question, what was everyone wearing? Should I go casual or in a suit? Thanks for your help btw.
Reply 6
Original post by Jabberjay_
@yulija

Which is why I'm becoming paranoid, about wanting not to be in that 20% haha. One more question, what was everyone wearing? Should I go casual or in a suit? Thanks for your help btw.

You don't have to wear suit or anything, that's for sure. Most of the people were just dressed up casually :smile: I mean, you obviously shouldn't come in your pajama but simply wearing something clean and neat should be fine.
Original post by Jabberjay_
@yulija

There was a fair mixture of clothes -- wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable (within reason). I wore jeans, shirt, jumper, which is slightly smarter than my usual style, which I think helped me get in the right frame of mind (not that it matters much). A few people were in suits, my friend wore a hoodie (and got an offer).
Reply 8

But thats the structure of your day - your interview will relaxed to an extent and you'll get a couple of maths questions which they don't expect you to know, but will want you to expalin your thought process and will help you out with hints. Thats the most important part - explain what your thinking

When did they tell you that you had been selected for the interview? Was it before or after January? Also how long did you have to wait after the computing test to be informed that you had been selected for the interview?
Thanks
Reply 9

thank you from 4 years in the future! I just had an online interview and was only asked 2 questions and the interview was only 10 minutes, but at least that shouldn't necessarily mean i failed it, based on what you are saying! Phew!
Original post by sturm
thank you from 4 years in the future! I just had an online interview and was only asked 2 questions and the interview was only 10 minutes, but at least that shouldn't necessarily mean i failed it, based on what you are saying! Phew!

Hi, congrats on your interview. How long after your computing exam did you get an invitation to interview?
Reply 11
Original post by Benson55
Hi, congrats on your interview. How long after your computing exam did you get an invitation to interview?

I got an invitation to interview 3 weeks following the exam, and thank youu!! Out of interest, I guess you've finished your degree now right? Did you end up at imperial? :smile:
Original post by sturm
I got an invitation to interview 3 weeks following the exam, and thank youu!! Out of interest, I guess you've finished your degree now right? Did you end up at imperial? :smile:

Hey, actually I’m waiting for an interview myself 😂. I was going through forums to try and see when they normally send it out and what’s included.

Good luck 😄
Reply 13
Original post by Benson55
Hey, actually I’m waiting for an interview myself 😂. I was going through forums to try and see when they normally send it out and what’s included.

Good luck 😄

oh haha wow I have absolutely no clue why I assumed you were not also waiting for interview.. silly me!!
Good luck!!!
I just got an offer for Maths and computing (A*A*AA, A in EPQ and 2 in Step..)yayayy but if you want to drop a private message about the interview please do:smile: I'm sure you'll do great!!

EDIT- I just realised I was getting @Benson55 mixed up with @sweeneyrod, who posted 4 years ago...Well done me
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sturm
oh haha wow I have absolutely no clue why I assumed you were not also waiting for interview.. silly me!!
Good luck!!!
I just got an offer for Maths and computing (A*A*AA, A in EPQ and 2 in Step..)yayayy but if you want to drop a private message about the interview please do:smile: I'm sure you'll do great!!

EDIT- I just realised I was getting @Benson55 mixed up with @sweeneyrod, who posted 4 years ago...Well done me

When did you sit your online test ???
Reply 15
Original post by Dvyjbfdxf256
When did you sit your online test ???

I sat my test on 3rd November:smile:
Hi i just had my interview. It was alright couldn't answer the math question (relating to prime numbers code) completely. I mean I couldn't tell him the most efficient code but other than that I was fine ig. Other than that most of time was spent talking about my activities and about Imperial. I dont know how people call it a chill interview tho.
Original post by sturm
Good luck!!!

I just had my interview wasn't exactly great. Couldn't answer the Math question most efficiently(prime number code). Answered giving probably the basic logic and all. Wasn't exactly Chill like everyone said it was. I'm really tense about it now idk.
Reply 18
Original post by linxdoom
I just had my interview wasn't exactly great. Couldn't answer the Math question most efficiently(prime number code). Answered giving probably the basic logic and all. Wasn't exactly Chill like everyone said it was. I'm really tense about it now idk.

Firstly - congrats again on the interview!!
I doubt they wanted anything more than the basic logic, for my interview afterwards I was racking my brains out thinking how I could optimise it and there were a number of tricks I didn't actually do.. but also I just think they want us to have a bit of problem solving instinct, and my guess is any answer is satisfactory, even if not optimal yknow? And if you found it tricky you probably just had an interviewer who was a bit harsher. I wouldn't worry too much - I'm sure you did fine (80% at this stage get offers anyway, and my personal guess is that other 20% are just people that cheated on the online test and the Imperial people found out in the interview that they cheated? Just a guess tho)
Original post by sturm
Firstly - congrats again on the interview!!
I doubt they wanted anything more than the basic logic, for my interview afterwards I was racking my brains out thinking how I could optimise it and there were a number of tricks I didn't actually do.. but also I just think they want us to have a bit of problem solving instinct, and my guess is any answer is satisfactory, even if not optimal yknow? And if you found it tricky you probably just had an interviewer who was a bit harsher. I wouldn't worry too much - I'm sure you did fine (80% at this stage get offers anyway, and my personal guess is that other 20% are just people that cheated on the online test and the Imperial people found out in the interview that they cheated? Just a guess tho)

Well I hope your right. How long after the interview should I expect a response?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending